FZ8 mirror alternative

lyric911

Curiosity - why aren't your bar end mirrors on the end of the bars?

H

Hoover

Curiosity - why aren't your bar end mirrors on the end of the bars?

They are. Those are weights after the mirrors that reduce vibration. They screw into the end of the bars. Some chose to keep them when they switch to bar end mirrors.

I didn't as I switched my bars out and lost the threaded insert.

lyric911

They are. Those are weights after the mirrors that reduce vibration. They screw into the end of the bars. Some chose to keep them when they switch to bar end mirrors.

I didn't as I switched my bars out and lost the threaded insert.

My question was worded poorly, but that's what I meant. I have the same mirrors on my FZ8 as the picture I quoted originally. I just don't understand why you'd put them between the bar ends and the bar itself. In other words. I kept the bar end weights, but put the mirrors at the end of them. I think I have a picture somewhere...

edit:

H

Hoover

Cool, how secure are they clamped on the end like that? How is the vibration?
I did "soft fit" mine like that before my bars arrived, I just didn't feel comfortable that they would stay put.

lyric911

Cool, how secure are they clamped on the end like that? How is the vibration?
I did "soft fit" mine like that before my bars arrived, I just didn't feel comfortable that they would stay put.

I threw away the inserts that came with the bar end mirrors (the expanding thing). I went to Fastenal and got a longer M6x1.0 screw and ran it through the mirrors, then the weights, then threaded in to the bars. They aren't going anywhere. Vibration is not-noticeable to minimal, depending on RPM.

Speedo007

I threw away the inserts that came with the bar end mirrors (the expanding thing). I went to Fastenal and got a longer M6x1.0 screw and ran it through the mirrors, then the weights, then threaded in to the bars. They aren't going anywhere. Vibration is not-noticeable to minimal, depending on RPM.

Did the same thing with longer bolt, except I put the mirrors inside the weights. And already as is I feel it makes the bike look wide...

lothodon

Super Moderator
i cannot confirm until the end of the week but i do believe you would need adapters. i PROMISE to update when mine come in, expecting them the end of this week early next.

lothodon

Super Moderator
time to rehash and older thread!!!

due to my helmet looking the way it does, and a current set of nearly useless mirrors (but they look great) i couldn't resist these...

helmet

mirrors

a quick update...don't bother. they are much taller than wide and even more useless than stock (if that's possible...yup, it is). i might take them to work so i can torch and bend them to lower and wider the stance.

Speedo007

To me those mirrors look more like something you'd put on a cruiser then a sports bike, thats probably why they are taller then wide.

rysyndrome

Finally got to ride with my Kiwav mirrors. They look real nice with just a little vibration. Only issue is that they do not extend out quite enough to clear my elbows. Half the miror at times is blocked by my arms. I may have to save up for a set of $400 Rizoma mirrors but these will do me ok for now. Just a heads up.

lothodon

Super Moderator
Finally got to ride with my Kiwav mirrors. They look real nice with just a little vibration. Only issue is that they do not extend out quite enough to clear my elbows. Half the miror at times is blocked by my arms. I may have to save up for a set of $400 Rizoma mirrors but these will do me ok for now. Just a heads up.

i'm willing to bet that you will get the same effect (checking out your elbows) even with the $400 rizoma mirrors.

rysyndrome

i'm willing to bet that you will get the same effect (checking out your elbows) even with the $400 rizoma mirrors.

I definately have to check the dimensions first. Thinking i'll probably just stay with what I have. $400 could be a slip-on too.
Maybe bar ends on the cheap for longer rides.