FZ8 mirror alternative

fraley33

I was the one that got rear ended and said it was time to get bar end mirrors. The old mirrors were almost impossible to see anything other than my elbows unless like you said you you move your elbows out of the way. Maybe it's just me but I check my mirrors constantly maybe to the point of being obsessive about it. Maybe it comes from being a trucker. I was making a slow right turn into a parking lot and this person decided to go around me. They didn't go far enough around and clipped my back tire, if I'd have glanced in my rearview mirror I could have gassed it and maybe avoided it all together.

Honestly I think the stock mirrors were butt ugly and I actually like the look of the bar ends, to each his own I guess.
you said it best, "to each his own". I hope I didnt come off in a negative way writing of my dislike of bar-end mirrors. It's riders preference and we each have are own FZ8 set up how we like it. Thanks for your feedback..

H

Hoover

I never liked the look of bar ends. One of my friends put just one on his V-Max.
After I rode it, I was so impressed with the view, I figured I would try them. I knew I could sell them if I didn't like them.
As it turned out, I love them. The look really grew on me. I think they make the bike look much lower and wider.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I have been doing bar end mirrors since my first bike which was a 92 Honda CB750.

Show me a decent looking mirror that replaces the stock mirror location that provides BOTH:

A.) Meets or exceeds the functionality of bar-end mirrors
B.) Doesn't look like mouse ears

Then, I would be interested in other mirror options. To each their own of course.

Crazywb23

my bar end mirrors are bikemaster and I got em both for 90$ at the local motorcycle parts dept.

Last edited:

TeleRob

joined the bar end revolution!

woo hoo! got my $5 bar ends from ebay yesterday.
Stuck em on today. AWESOME.

I backed down the driveway, and thought I was going to back over the Sunday paper, but it was my rear turn signal. Awesome visibility!

I put them on the bar ends with the M6x1.0 65mm bolts. Took a ride in the evening today, and could not see any light vibration in the mirrors.

Great value and thanks to the bar end pioneers!

Cory9666

Bar End

My Hong Honk mirrors came in yesterday, after the easy install I have to say I love how they look on the bike! I haven't gotten in a ride yet, but ill re-post this evening and let you know how they do on my trip to Haggerstown, MD.

Before:

After:

Last edited by a moderator:

sixtus

I too now have the $5 ebay mirrors installed, and am loving them.

What I am not loving, though, is the stupid stock mirror base thing that refuses to come off. I got the left side one off by loosening the bottom nut with a monkey wrench and then unscrewing the whole thing off, but the right side one absolutely refuses to budge. I've nearly completely stripped it with the monkey wrench trying to get it off... am I missing something? Is there some other way to get these damn things off?

(yes, I'm trying to turn it the right way... heh)

lothodon

Super Moderator
are you turning it the WRONG way? it's a reverse threaded bolt so you have to "tighten" it to remove it.

sixtus

......oh boy. So wait... you're saying the left side mirror is normal "lefty loosey, righty tighty", but the right side mirror is opposite?

The nut further up the stem was "normal" threading... why would this one be opposite? If that's it, then I'm going to feel like a dumbass, but in all seriousness, how is someone supposed to know these things?

Last edited:

sixtus

Fuck... I'm an idiot... I get it now.

Wait, actually, now I'm not so sure I do. At first I thought it was just because I was seeing it as a nut attached to the lower assembly, which would mean I was turning it to the left to loosen, which is correct (at least in every case I've ever seen)... then I realized that it was on the mirror assembly, in which case I would need to turn it the opposite direction to loosen. But now that I have it off (thank god), I'm realizing that it's actually a case where you spin the nut to the left to tighten it on the screw, and right to loosen. I've never seen this before... I take it this is fairly common, but is there a reason for doing this, besides to fuck with newbs like me?

Last edited:

lyric911

Fuck... I'm an idiot... I get it now.

Wait, actually, now I'm not so sure I do. At first I thought it was just because I was seeing it as a nut attached to the lower assembly, which would mean I was turning it to the left to loosen, which is correct (at least in every case I've ever seen)... then I realized that it was on the mirror assembly, in which case I would need to turn it the opposite direction to loosen. But now that I have it off (thank god), I'm realizing that it's actually a case where you spin the nut to the left to tighten it on the screw, and right to loosen. I've never seen this before... I take it this is fairly common, but is there a reason for doing this, besides to fuck with newbs like me?

It's done in an attempt to keep them from breaking if something hits them. Instead of breaking, the thread loosens inward towards the center of the bike.

Zeitgeist

I am so glad I checked this thread before replacing the stock mirrors! I would have destroyed the right mirror not knowing it is reverse threaded.

sixtus

Well despite the frustration (I was hitting the thing with the wrench at one point), I'm pleased with the results... both in appearance and functionality.