FZ8 mirror alternative

FZER

Avid Rider
Yeah I'm hoping to solve both problems with these mirrors. Like everyone has said you can't see anything behind you with the stock mirrors I'm pretty wide through the shoulders and honestly I can't see anything behind me unless I lean the bike over or in a curve or take one of my hands off the grips and put my hand on top of the mirror. That's no fun at 85 mph. I can see other lanes beside me, but that's it, they vibrate terrrrrrrrible, especially now that I've got an aftermarket exhaust. I also picked up the headlight housing noise with the new exhaust. I only notice it when I'm going really slow and having to work the throttle/clutch to stay upright. I'll have to work on it, because I want my bike to sound as good as it looks, even at a redlight, but I'll sacarfice some looks here and there for safety.

FZER

Avid Rider
Help!

Ok, I'm up to my eye balls in spacers and adapters. It seems if I mount these using the riz mounting adapters I have to remove the bar ends and the weights inside the handle bars. Any clues about how in the hell you are suppose to do that? Or is better to just go bolt shopping?

D

Deleted member 438

Ok, I'm up to my eye balls in spacers and adapters. It seems if I mount these using the riz mounting adapters I have to remove the bar ends and the weights inside the handle bars. Any clues about how in the hell you are suppose to do that? Or is better to just go bolt shopping?

I had to buy longer bolts to install the bar ends. The only people that could get them was Grainger. They came in a pack of 6, so if you want send me your address and I can mail you 2.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Your original bolts will work, just remove the expanders that came with the rizoma mirrors and attach straight into the fixed nut inside the bars. The rizoma has its own built in bar end as part of the mirror stem. Some pics of what is hindering install please.

FZER

Avid Rider
Well what hindered the process is riz thinks I need the lp300b mounting adaptor kits to put these on my bike. I just did just like you said they mount just like the original instructions say to do.

FZER

Avid Rider
Appreciate the help! I've got them on upside down right now. They look like they are going to work out just fine, no tank knocking either. I'm too tired to pull the stock mirrors off and take pics, but I promise soon. The rizzy's came with plugs for the stock locations too. I thought that was a nice touch.

There's like infinite adjustability with these things too.

Last edited:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Don't forget the stock mirrow is left hand thread (reverse thread) on the right mirror. Ya with that type of bar end you can hang them down and not hit the tank. Your right you can position the mirrors every wich way you likeup, down,to th side, straight forward,straight back, and they fold in when not in use.

FZER

Avid Rider
Well I didn't like upside down too much in traffic. I had to take my eyes off the road a little too much to look at them, course I was checking them out every two or three seconds, because it's something new. I'm going back to the upright position. PJ sent me a video too he actually has some regular mirrors, but aftermarket nice ones and is running one of these on the left. Today I was riding wt all four mirrors it wasnt all that bad vision wize. Looksssss... Not so.

bobbyb

Mirror probs?

I installed a set of 2" entenders, inexpensive ans good quality. $20. I can see fine. Looks? I'll put my $$ into gas to ride.
B

Wieb27

Got my bar end mirrors in the other day and put them on. Have to say at 75mph + they really don't stay in one spot very well. I'm going to try tightening them up a bit to see if that helps.

I think it will take some getting used to like others said. Attached are a few photos....

old sparks

My SV had bar end mirrors when I bought them. Found I had to adjust them constantly, went back to stock, then bought some mirrors with integrated turn signals.

sixtus

Got my bar end mirrors in the other day and put them on. Have to say at 75mph + they really don't stay in one spot very well. I'm going to try tightening them up a bit to see if that helps.

If those are the $5 ebay ones, then tightening them up should do the trick. They were like that when I got mine, but after a single tightening they're now staying in place nicely.

Wieb27

If those are the $5 ebay ones, then tightening them up should do the trick. They were like that when I got mine, but after a single tightening they're now staying in place nicely.

Yep, that worked! They held up to today's 75mph + commute! I have to say I'm thinking I like them. Visibility is fine and there is nice to have zero obstructions in front of me.

chopstic

Well after i mounted them up to get you a pic, i went for a ride, the field of view is much better with them mounted like the second picture. The mirrors shown are not knock offs, they have a slight convex shape and are tinted to reduce glare, they also fold in for protection... they were $130 CDN . Well thanks, now i am going to be using these ones for awhile, i have 4 different types now LOL.Here is some more pics of the square ones mounted upwards like you want them

Where did you buy your mirrors from?

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I had to buy longer bolts to install the bar ends. The only people that could get them was Grainger. They came in a pack of 6, so if you want send me your address and I can mail you 2.

Do you still have these longer bolts? Do they have an allen wrench head?

lothodon

Super Moderator
i have to agree, in fact, from the zoomed pic i'd tend to think the $5 ebay version actually look better. the "glass" is just as convex so the view distance will be similar.