FZ8 mirror alternative

H

Hoover

I believe that Yamaha is the only manufacturer still doing the reverse thread gig.
It started years ago as a way to stop the mirrors coming loose with the wind.
All the other companies use thread locker.

lyric911

I believe that Yamaha is the only manufacturer still doing the reverse thread gig.
It started years ago as a way to stop the mirrors coming loose with the wind.
All the other companies use thread locker.

It can't be for that. The wind is likely to loosen both of them. Stand at the front of your bike and push on both mirrors. They both loosen in the direction you push.

Ott

It can't be for that. The wind is likely to loosen both of them. Stand at the front of your bike and push on both mirrors. They both loosen in the direction you push.

It keeps them from breaking off when something strikes them.

Zeitgeist

Rideitmoto mirrors

Last edited:

Fazer401

eBay mirrors

I used the eBay bar end mirrors- cnc alum. with a choice of colors on the stem and you can make the mirror come out the top/bottom or end. The normal inserts won't work because they're made to fit INSIDE the bar but the fz8 has a bolt-hole. So I ground off the piece that sticks out, making it flush, and then screwed it in (the included bolt is the correct thread for the FZ). I went with black with a gold stem,looks good,I'll get pics tomorrow. Oh, then I used 3/8 (I think) black nylon plugs from Lowes, $1, they fit the mirror holes PERFECT and fit the fender holes in back too. What a difference with the stock mirrors off, waaaay more streetfighter.

C

Camo

Rideitmoto mirrors
Can you see more of what's behind you and less of your elbow compared with the stock mirrors? Or are they just better looking?
They look good man.

I put a set of the 5 dollar flea bay bar ends on just the other day and am still looking for something more to my liking. I don't know if it's just me but they're good for seeing what's close behind you and rubbish for anything any further then a few hundred metres, You really gotta look hard.

The Rizoma 'reverse retro' are looking tasty for just after tax time but I'd be happy to find something that doesn't look to bad and offers a higher level of functionality over the stock and flea bay bar ends.

FZER

Avid Rider
Thanks to Speedo for doing the legwork on mirror alternatives, i ended up with the $5 mirrors off e-bay. I had no idea they would work so well, no vibration, and a 180* rear view.

Man those look great! I think the bar ends mirrors look better when they are mounted up with the bar end weights still on and not just hoizontal with the bars.

FZER

Avid Rider
I too now have the $5 ebay mirrors installed, and am loving them.

What I am not loving, though, is the stupid stock mirror base thing that refuses to come off. I got the left side one off by loosening the bottom nut with a monkey wrench and then unscrewing the whole thing off, but the right side one absolutely refuses to budge. I've nearly completely stripped it with the monkey wrench trying to get it off... am I missing something? Is there some other way to get these damn things off?

(yes, I'm trying to turn it the right way... heh)

Man I hate you went through all that trouble. Looks like you nicked the starter switch and the throttle cables cover. I absolutely love this site. I do a sh-t ton of reading before I touch anything.

lothodon

Super Moderator
there are knock offs of those exact mirrors (in gold too) on ebay at about half the price if you're interested.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Pulling the trigger on these today. I plan on making the stem vertical and then adjusting the mirror around instead of the stem pointing straight forward. It sounds like PJ's is the place to call.

Universal Mirrors by Rizoma Bikes Accessories -

In black of course.

I have a set of these, Black with the FZ8 Logo. They do not look good on the FZ8 in my opinion. Also rear view is ok but side view of passing lane sucks,they need to be more rectangle than square to be effective. If you want i can throw one on the bike so you can judge for yourself if you like them on the 8.

Fazer401

eBay mirrors

Here are the eBay mirrors I did a little "adapting" to make work. The closeup shows where I ground down the part that would normally go inside the bar (its aluminum so you can use a hacksaw, a dremel, a bench grinder, its soft), so it mates flush with the end of the stock bar. The stock threading matches with the supplied screw so its a nice fit..the mirrors can technically be mounted just about any which way because you can have them come out the side OR end and rotate as desired... I wanted to mount them hanging down from the side, but they hit the tank at full lock:( They were $25 a pair shipped

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Here are some pics of the Square bar end mirrorrs on FZ8.

And here are some pics for someone who wants the ultimate in rear and side views( just playing around)

FZER

Avid Rider
Here are some pics of the Square bar end mirrorrs on FZ8.

And here are some pics for someone who wants the ultimate in rear and side views( just playing around)

This is no :bs2: my buddy and I saw your last pic with both mirrors on and said dang you know that's not all that bad of an idea. By the way I did order the Rizoma from PJ. Bonus Check! I really like the way your second pic looks with the square mirrors. One thing they said at PJ's to is sometimes the knock offs don't have the right convex shape to them to provide the best field of view. The guy I was talking to said he using the same mirror on a FZ1 too. He said he really likes them and not to worry if I get them and don't like them as long as they are still "new" we could work something out. I know as far as looks go I'm going to be very happy and I think anything is an improvement in the field of view area over stock.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
This is no :bs2: my buddy and I saw your last pic with both mirrors on and said dang you know that's not all that bad of an idea. By the way I did order the Rizoma from PJ. Bonus Check! I really like the way your second pic looks with the square mirrors. One thing they said at PJ's to is sometimes the knock offs don't have the right convex shape to them to provide the best field of view. The guy I was talking to said he using the same mirror on a FZ1 too. He said he really likes them and not to worry if I get them and don't like them as long as they are still "new" we could work something out. I know as far as looks go I'm going to be very happy and I think anything is an improvement in the field of view area over stock.

Well after i mounted them up to get you a pic, i went for a ride, the field of view is much better with them mounted like the second picture. The mirrors shown are not knock offs, they have a slight convex shape and are tinted to reduce glare, they also fold in for protection... they were $130 CDN . Well thanks, now i am going to be using these ones for awhile, i have 4 different types now LOL.Here is some more pics of the square ones mounted upwards like you want them

Last edited:

Zeitgeist

Can you see more of what's behind you and less of your elbow compared with the stock mirrors? Or are they just better looking?
They look good man.

I put a set of the 5 dollar flea bay bar ends on just the other day and am still looking for something more to my liking. I don't know if it's just me but they're good for seeing what's close behind you and rubbish for anything any further then a few hundred metres, You really gotta look hard.

The Rizoma 'reverse retro' are looking tasty for just after tax time but I'd be happy to find something that doesn't look to bad and offers a higher level of functionality over the stock and flea bay bar ends.

I'd say they are about the same as the stock mirrors when it comes to how much elbow you see, maybe slightly better because they are lower and a bit more towards the end of the bars. They are literally half the size though, and nowhere near as much vibration as standard. They also seem clearer, But maybe that's because they're brand new. I think they're sexy as hell, although my non-streetfighter-riding friends don't see what I'm so excited about! When I'm home next I'll take a photo from the front and throw it on here.

I got those because I'm still on the fence about whether or not I like bar ends, and rizomas are just ridiculously expensive. I'm going to assume they are Italian, reminds me of anything Ducati haha!

- gotta edit this, the stock mirrors actually do stick out a little further.

Last edited:

FZER

Avid Rider
I think it might be worth wild to try and mount them upside down too. I'm going to try all sorts of stuff. Yeah PJ said our factory mirrors are crap, which I agree with. But just about every bike I've bought they are terrible. I don't get it. Yeah my friend's EVO I think it might have actually came with those mirrors. I say friend he's a guy I work with. That bike is so damn bad....One exhaust I'd be hard pressed to change out just because it's just so damn awesome. I'd put an aftermarket pipe on my lawnmower if they sold one. :D 20.00001 hp maybe after the pipe.

Fazer401

I agree on the eBay bar ends- great for what's right behind ya, but I can't tell if that's a state trooper or a minivan 100yards back, not great. A definite sacrifice for looks. If you don't care about looks but want better view than stock, best bet might be the adapters that bump the mirrors out away from yer elbows and a nice quality set of "stock-style" mirrors, maybe adding a rubber washer to soak up some vibrayshee-on. I think the Tomok are pretty sharp.