what helmet are you wearing? why? PRO's/CON's?

JRider

I got a great deal on a Bell star a few months ago. Quality all around the helmet EXCEPT the liner, ear pads are already breaking down making it noisier than it already was. There are no whistles or booming ever and lane checks at 70mph feel more like 30mph. My ten year old Shoei 900 needs retired but is drastically quieter in my case.

Sschwar4

I have four helmets that I rotate through. One may be in the wash process.
1 - Shoei X11
3 - Arai CorsairV and 2-Quantum2

Biggest reason fit. They are comfortable. They fit my head shape.
Second, safety.
Third, washable. If you don't get the sweat out, the helmet will loose its usefulness fast.

Arai's have slot for glasses as Shoei doesn't. Hard to fit even smallest frame in.

Quantum is quieter than the others. Corsair has the best airflow with lots of vents and ability to turn off when not needed.

Each uses it's own shield, so Quantum won't fit Corsair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

hypo

So after the deer stopped me, and my Shoei protected my grape, I was REALLY looking for a new helmet. And I went with the RS-1 just because I've always had a Shoei, but the RS-1 was new, and it seemed a little quieter. My glasses are hard to get in and out of the helmet, very very snug, and it seems to go down lower below my chin line, so when I turn my head the chamois liner is rubbing/dragging on my jacket and can be a pain, but the ventilation is great, and its a lot quieter. I think I might still go buy an RF-1100 when my wife's not looking just so I can do some real comparison ;)

Ott

I have the most recent version of the Bell Star carbon amd love it. It has the most ventilation of any helmet I've worn. Add the auto darkening shield and it's nearly perfect! The only negative so far is that it is not quite as comfortable as a Shoei.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I have the Bell RS-1 as well. I really like how neutral the aero feels on it. Doesn't seem to care if Im checking a blind spot or in full tuck. It is quiet, but not as quiet as I expected from reading the reviews but then again that changes with head shape and bike. The most impressive feature for me anyways is the amount of airflow it has. It is absolutely astonishing. You can definately notice a difference when you open the vents. Anyways, very happy with it.

I also opted for the auto-dim shield and that has to be one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I have the Shoei Qwest, comfy and looks good, and i have the Schuberth C3 modular, super quiet, good comfort and bluetooth is built into the neck padding,also love the sunscreen that flips up and down inside the clear shield. I also use pinlock anti fog on colder days.I also like the modular so i don't have to take off my glasses when puting helmet on or off.

H

Hoover

Along with my Simpson Super Bandit, I have a Shoei RF 900. I wear it on cold days and long runs BUT, when the shield is up, it whistles like mad. Shield down, it is very quiet..compared to the Bandit.. but up, very noisey.

SpunkyTheTuna

I had an earlier model of the Schuberth, but i took a header off a Gold Wing one rainy night when I rolled the Gold Wing into a ball and the Schuberth locking mechanism jammed. I couldn't get the helmet off without releasing the face plate and I couldn't release the face plate cuz the mechanism was jammed from the crash. Took me probably five minutes (that felt like a really long five minutes) to bash it hard enough to free it. The Schuberth kept me from getting injured worse, but having to bang my helmet to get it to release when I already had a concussion kind of spoiled me for modular helmets.

Your mileage, as they say, may vary. And to be honest, I've never heard of anybody else having theirs jam, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

C

Camo

I had an AGV for a while until I had a stack. Then I went shopping for a new one and realised how shit the fit actually was.
I've had my Shoei RF-1000 Sever for around 3-4 years I think? It's been a great helmet but I bought it from the States and it hasn't got the Australian standard sticker on the back so I can't wear it on track days.
This is it-
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/dir/image.php?id=38059

So I've been doing alot of research into what I'll buy next and a few guys I know swear by Shark helmets... So I started poking around to see what they had and stumbled across this wee ripper!
helmet SPEED-R BLANK MAT Black Metal Mat Speed-R Sport/route SHARK-HELMETS - FRANCE FRANCE - English

Built specifically for use on naked bikes!
This will be my next helmet once they release them here down under! Almost their entire new range is available here, just not the Speed-R damn it!!

hypo

Along with my Simpson Super Bandit, I have a Shoei RF 900. I wear it on cold days and long runs BUT, when the shield is up, it whistles like mad. Shield down, it is very quiet..compared to the Bandit.. but up, very noisey.

a 900???? dude... how old is that thing? You know the safety rating is void after like 5 years.... :eek:

Darknite

I wear an IIcon Variant...love the look, feel, venting, quality...and ease of removing the inside liner to wash!

Sschwar4

a 900???? dude... how old is that thing? You know the safety rating is void after like 5 years.... :eek:

Shoei and Arai both have a 5 year warranty. That said, they both state, 5 years from date of purchase or 7 years from date of manufacture is useful life, and of coarse no crashes on helmet. That one terminates the life of helmet.

Shoei does offer a service to inspect helmets, theirs of coarse. Just costs shipping. Have done this with two dirt bike helmets after crashes. One failed (knew it would), the other was ok.

Biggest concern is care. If you use your helmet daily, in the sun (UV damage), sweat a lot (chemical damage) this is what reduces the life of the helmet.

The EPS (expanded polystyrene) liner is the major protection in the helmet. If this damaged, throw the helmet away. This material will most likely not be damaged in a drop, since there will be nothing on the inside to compress the EPS, unless you have a bowling ball inside. However, if the shell cracks, that will damage the EPS, and again throw it away.

They also say, that a helmet that is properly stored, cool, dry, ventilated, and dark, the helmet life is not compromised until first use.

I tend to push the limits a little farther to 10 years. Used 2x per week (rotate through multiple helmets), padded liners cleaned monthly, stored in air conditioned closet in manufacturer's bag, never in the garage, don't hang helmet from pegs close to engine heat source, wax helmet to protect from UV rays. That translates to a new helmet every 3 years and retire the oldest one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

H

Hoover

ed

It's 10 years old this year. Never dropped, banged or abused. Kept in factory bag in climate controlled enviroment. Had a 2 year hiatus from riding, and I own 4 helmets and rotate through them.
I figure it has lived the life of a 3 year old lid.

bobbylight

ed

It's 10 years old this year. Never dropped, banged or abused. Kept in factory bag in climate controlled enviroment. Had a 2 year hiatus from riding, and I own 4 helmets and rotate through them.
I figure it has lived the life of a 3 year old lid.

I've got an 800 that's ~10 years old. It's still a really comfortable helmet, however because of it's age I just bought a Nolan N43e trilogy. To be honest I like my old shoei better, but then again it might just be because I've had it for so long. It's also spent more seasons in the closet then out riding. I'm gonna keep it as a back up.

hypo

my first helmet was a no-name, kept that longer than I should have and bought an RF-800 in 91? 92? and stayed with Shoei from then on.

BIGpanda

I had an Icon Domain 2 for about 2 years but I just got an Arai RX-Q so far loving it, the ventilation is crazy and I usually have all the vents closed but the visor vents.

White Rider

I have a Shoei X Spirit 2 streamliner.
I have 2 Italian bikes and loved the white with the green and red. It goes great with my white FZ8n. Picked it because I got a great deal with free pinlock and tinted visor thrown in. Excellent for -2 degree mornings going to work.

cpatt

I wear an IIcon Variant...love the look, feel, venting, quality...and ease of removing the inside liner to wash!

is any one els rocking a variant? im in the marker for a helment and i love the look of this one but i ride at night and like to change to a clear visor and i think u have to take the whole helmet apart to do that on this on. just looking for other opinions.

also any one have any sugestions on other good helmets. lookin for cheep less than 300$ or so but my 80$ niko is a size to big and moves way to much.

wa2txcory

Scorpion EXO 1000

I just bought a new scorpion exo 1000 and like it. Found it for more than half off. It has an air pump in side like the old pump shoes to get a perfect fit. And it has a drop down sun visor inside the helmet like fighter pilots which I like cause you can ride day or night. Think it's a pretty damn good helmet for $150. Just order a size bigger cause it def runs small. Here is the link if you are interested. I got the black/gold to match the bike. My other helmet is a shoei which I also like.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Scorpion-EXO-1000-Helmets-RPM-Graphic