what helmet are you wearing? why? PRO's/CON's?

mckshred

Arai Rx Q

I have an arai rx-q. I love it super light very comfortable and great viewing. Can't really comment of air flow as this is my first full face helmet and have nothing to compare it to.

I bought an HJC CL-16 Slayer ($119) when I bought my FZ8. I liked everything about it but ....it gave me numerous headaches (most likely the wrong type for my head shape).

Since I had an Arai back in the early 80's I was convinced to go back to what worked. I found an Arai dealer on the Internet who just happened to have a shop 3 miles away. So I went there and tried on a bunch of Arai helmets and upgraded ($399 + mirror shield free) to the Arai Rx-Q. I didn't mind spending more money the second time around as the owner spent quite a bit of time with me. He assisted me with numerous helmet and pad configurations until we found what worked.

The Rx-Q is super comfortable and ventilates very well, but it is noisier than the HJC IMO.

TeleRob

Got a Shoei RF-1100, solid wine red.
why:
- the free shield offer, + 20% discount at the local moto shop, it came out a pretty good deal.
- Feels much safer than my old modular HJC IS-MAX. There is no flex, and I was going for safety.
- was more comfortable and lighter than other $200-$300 helmets I tried on that they had in my size.

Pros: fit is very comfortable, finish, shield seal quality, quieter than my old HJC IS-MAX, snell rated
Cons: still a little noisy and whistles at times. I find if you keep your eyes up, you get less whistle.

Wieb27

Arai Corsair V - Collin Edwards Replica. Once you weaer Arai you'll be hooked (if you can afford the sticker price).

DLSGAP

I currently wear a Suomy Spec 1R extreme

Love the helmet and the graphics are sick. Great airflow, but a bit of noise (yay for ear plugs).

Will be switching to an RF1100 when this one needs replacing next season

BIGpanda

Arai RX-Q in matte black, best helmet I've ever worn. Super comfy ventilation is insane and the field of view is great.

just bought a bell star rally and i love it!!well the look anyways havent been home to ride it!!! fits awesome and felt super comfortable in the store

RobH

ICON Alliance hi viz in white (I liked the black better but the all black bike needs something more visible). The alliance fits my head. I can only wear long-oval helmets. The alliance is very good quality for under $200 bucks and meets ECE, DOT, and Japan standards.

Icon Alliance Reflective Helmet - RevZilla

BIGpanda

UPDATE: I have one issue with my Arai that I absolutely HATE! The helmet is supposed to be more of a touring helmet as opposed to the Corsair so that means it's meant to sit upright like the way your ride on the FZ8. But the damn thing is always pushing itself up on my head, I hate it i'm constantly pushing down on the top of the helmet to get it back down. I can't make my chin strap any tighter or ill choke myself. Does anyone else's helmet do this? It doesn't do it if I lay on my tank like a true sport bike, idk if I can get over it, it really irritates me.

V

Vapordan

I got this Sigi from Walmart because I quite literally had to run to the store to get one to pick up my bike -
. Thing of beauty because the chin lifts - I like that. But what a piece of shit! Noisy. Tight. Uncomfortable. Zero ventilation. I can't see an inch passed my shoulder when I turn my head. I really really hate it, so I'm looking for a good helmet now.

rajdR

I had already chosen the AGV K-4 of my local dealer, but then he said something like; "Have u seen our new helmets that came in today?"
Walked to the shelf where they were behind glass and just thought, no this is too expensive anyways.
He said; "why don't you just try it?"
"Okey..."
The helmet suited perfect to my head, it felt sooo good! And I just thought about long rides and a helmet that doesn't fit to a 100%, so I went with a helmet that were more then twice as expensive as the AGV.
Maybe overkill? But then, overkill in safety, nah? Idk.

The only downside about it (so far) is when I wanna take it off, it almost tears my ears off :D

glockman39

I have several helmets for some reason. I suspect most others do too.

I have an AGV Ghost, two KBC Force helmets, but the one I wear most of the time is my Scorpion EXO-700. Fits my head perfectly, is absolutely comfortable for me, and has great ventilation.

Sschwar4

UPDATE: I have one issue with my Arai that I absolutely HATE! The helmet is supposed to be more of a touring helmet as opposed to the Corsair so that means it's meant to sit upright like the way your ride on the FZ8. But the damn thing is always pushing itself up on my head, I hate it i'm constantly pushing down on the top of the helmet to get it back down. I can't make my chin strap any tighter or ill choke myself. Does anyone else's helmet do this? It doesn't do it if I lay on my tank like a true sport bike, idk if I can get over it, it really irritates me.

When I had my helmet originally fitted, the dealer commented about this same issue. If the helmet is not fit to you correctly, it will ride up and off. I have a Corsair V and Quantum2, never an issue, but my Shoei did it all the time until I had the pads changed after the dealer told me about this.

BIGpanda

Smaller or larger pads? My helmet feels a bit tight, but I like it like that. I fear that is the issue though, it is squeezing my cheeks too hard.

240yoda

HJC CS-R1 To ICON Airframe loved every thing about the airframe just wish it fit my head better, now I am in love with my SHOEI RF-1100

Danger

Smaller or larger pads? My helmet feels a bit tight, but I like it like that. I fear that is the issue though, it is squeezing my cheeks too hard.

The stock ones, not sure if they are the small or large ones. They started out pretty tight, and now are broken in to be comfortable. Helmet is a size L.

V

Vapordan

I got this Sigi from Walmart because I quite literally had to run to the store to get one to pick up my bike -
. Thing of beauty because the chin lifts - I like that. But what a piece of shit! Noisy. Tight. Uncomfortable. Zero ventilation. I can't see an inch passed my shoulder when I turn my head. I really really hate it, so I'm looking for a good helmet now.

furtive arrived today. One look and there's no way that thing could fit my noggin. Didnt even bother trying it on. Return was an easy process. Should have the replacement XL size by Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Vapordan

furtive arrived today. One look and there's no way that thing could fit my noggin. Didnt even bother trying it on. Return was an easy process. Should have the replacement XL size by Saturday.

Here she is in all her glory!

V

Vapordan

Here she is in all her glory!

Just had a ride with the EXO-900. It's very quiet. Fits snugly. Very comfortable, didn't feel the weight on a short ride. Back vent introduces a lot of noise. Front vent is ok. Helmet neck is narrow but inside the helmet is 'roomy'. TopGun visor is nice. Wish it came down a half inch or so. Main visor is very clear. Modular is always a plus and the convertability to open face is nifty. With the top vent open, there was a whistle. Eye port is massive, I can see well on the sides with slight lean. She is heavy.

Had the distinct impression based on the parts scuffing that this helmet was slightly used. hmmm!