what helmet are you wearing? why? PRO's/CON's?

C

Camo

Sorry to bump a beaten thread but I may have made an expensive mistake today by trying on an Arai Corsair V....
Anyone out there had one for any length of time care to throw down some pros and cons for me please?

The fit is nothing short of amazing and it has all the bells and whistles but how does it perform?
It's an expensive helmet here in Australia so for $1100, it has to live up to the hype.

C

Camo

I was hoping it would fill in for me at work while I went riding with my old Shoei ;)

W

WARPTH

all my mates actually swear by the arai's and theyre absolotley rapt with them. i constantly change my visors as i ride into through the night so i went with a shark my self simply becuase theyre so easy to change from tint to clear. the arais are a prick to change visors. but apart from that id love one my self ;)

BIGpanda

all my mates actually swear by the arai's and theyre absolotley rapt with them. i constantly change my visors as i ride into through the night so i went with a shark my self simply becuase theyre so easy to change from tint to clear. the arais are a prick to change visors. but apart from that id love one my self ;)

Not really, I can change my arai visor in sub 20 seconds. easy.

Wieb27

Sorry to bump a beaten thread but I may have made an expensive mistake today by trying on an Arai Corsair V....
Anyone out there had one for any length of time care to throw down some pros and cons for me please?

The fit is nothing short of amazing and it has all the bells and whistles but how does it perform?
It's an expensive helmet here in Australia so for $1100, it has to live up to the hype.

Just replaced my Edwards 5 star RX-7 with a Edwards Red Corsair V. Like anything, you get what you pay for. Hands down the most comfortable helmet you'll ever wear, not to mention great venting and quality. I've only ever had Arai helmets for the street. I picked mine up for $650.00 (retails for $899.00).

FZER

Avid Rider
Man if you can swing the price you'll love an arai. The visor vents are the best thing since sliced bread. You'd think they'd cause a ton of wind in your eyes and they don't. On cold morning when you are fogging up there's nothing better. If I had the money recently no question I would have bought one. I wear ear plugs a lot and the noise wasn't an issue.

C

Camo

Thanks guys. Think I'll head into the big smoke this weekend where I can do side by side comparo's.

Edit: got one that had been worn a dozen times for $490! It's the Mick Doohan model, not my first choice but couldn't complain given the price.

Last edited:

David the Gnome

I just recently switched from an HJC BT Max (which I really didn't like), to this Shoei Qwest Airfoil TC-1:

The HJC was like a parachute in the wind, at highway speeds you'd about break your neck if you turned your head. The Shoei completely gets rid of all that annoying jerking around on your neck from the wind, it's like magic. The visibility is also a LOT better with the Shoei, the Visor is much taller and wider giving you much better peripheral vision. The Shoei is also lighter which makes it less fatiguing to wear around town. Also, it's more comfortable and just plain looks cooler. :D

The only feature I miss from my HJC helmet was the drop down sun shield and that's mostly because there's no storage on my current bike large enough to carry a spare tinted/clear shield for my Shoei. I've just been making sure that if I'm going to be out past dark I wear the clear shield and use sunglasses. Small price to pay for all the added comforts and features of the Shoei over the HJC.

Wieb27

Arai Corsair V - Edwards. Nothing but the best. Try an Arai and you'll know why (hey that rhymes!)...

The helmet retails for $899.00 but I got mine for $650.00.

Last edited:

TallGuyNW

The only feature I miss from my HJC helmet was the drop down sun shield and that's mostly because there's no storage on my current bike large enough to carry a spare tinted/clear shield for my Shoei. I've just been making sure that if I'm going to be out past dark I wear the clear shield and use sunglasses. Small price to pay for all the added comforts and features of the Shoei over the HJC.

I also have a Shoei Quest, but in the solid Anthracite color. A drop down sun shield would be great though... I have the clear and the gold colored CW-1 Spectra shield. I've found that the Spectra is wearable at night, in the city where there are a lot of lights, but I wouldn't wear it in the dark. If I know I'll be driving in the dark, I'll pack the clear shield in the helmet bag for protection and stuff it down my jacket... the curve fits pretty well around my belly :)

Wolf_Hook

My first helmet was a HJC CS-R1 ($80)
I had it for over 3 years and loved it since I didn't know any different. HJC CS-R1 Helmet - webBikeWorld

Last month I picked up the new HJC RPHA-10, which is the predecessor to the RPS-10. The vents actually work and I can FEEL the air moving in the helmet. When I first got it I was actually thinking about taking it back since I thought it was loud, I tried my old helmet on again to test it and boy was I wrong. The RPHA is pretty quiet, what I like best about it is there really isn't a penalty for turning your head while on the highway. I can do 80-90 and look left to right without it feeling much different, this helmet cuts through wind like butter. It's very, very light it's actually the same weight as my uncles Carbon AC-12. The breath guard and chin skirt work pretty well also. I haven't had to test out the pin lock system yet I'll update when I do.

All in all if you're in the market for a $300 helmet and you like hjc this is the best one right now. Yes I did try Bell and Shoei, I really wanted a QWEST however since I wear glasses it was a huge pain in the ass to get them on. Once I got them on the configuration of the temple pads would pull the up and away from my eyes. Also, Rubatone is a bitch to keep clean.

HJC RPS-10 Review - webBikeworld

RoadKill

I have the Shark Vision-R Syntic Shark Vision-R Syntic Helmet - RevZilla

I had many others before it but what i like about this helmet is the expanded vision. it also moves with your head and feels like its a part of it rather than on it. The internal visor and washable parts were a must. I love this helmet.

Mrpacis

I wear a shoei warlord. You ask why? So that when I get into an accident my head won't get squished like a squash

master paper clip

I got an icon variant, hi viz yellow, got it because the icon alliance i got with my bike was really uncomfortable, heavy and very loud on the road, saw the variant liked the design, oh boy is this thing confortable, has great airflow, good visibility, and looks amazing, also road noise is greatly reduced with the visor down, extremely happy I got this helmet

View attachment 656

C

Camo

You guys wearing the variants, doesn't that thing catch a lot of wind?

master paper clip

You guys wearing the variants, doesn't that thing catch a lot of wind?

No not at all, I mean if your doing 80 and try and turn your head yea but my alliance did that also, there is a lot of cut outs on the peak to help reduce that problem, all in all I would recommend this helmet, it's really confortable, and he's a great weight, makes me feel safe, old helmet I felt as safe as riding with no helmet