what helmet are you wearing? why? PRO's/CON's?

Shleeve

I rock the HJC is-16, its very comfortable, has good ventilation, but stays warm with the vents closed. It has a removable chin curtain and also a breath box accessory you can buy to prevent fogging, but I've never had a problem with it fogging without it. The main thing that sold me though is the inner visor, its SO handy, I never need sunglasses and I still have eye protection with the outer visor up. I will never buy a helmet without the inner visor again. Plus I got it on sale for a little over $100 :)

hypo

So I got to try on the RS-1 down at the ONLY shop I could find in the area that carried BELL helmets... WOAH... I wear a large RF-1000 and I'd say its SNUG, not TIGHT, very little wiggle, but sliding in and out of it is smooth. When I tried on a large RS-1 and the liner was that wicking/chamois cloth feeling stuff, and it was one RCH tighter than snug or maybe tighter... but definitely did NOT move, and seemed a bit quieter than my SHOEI. Unfortunately I didn't have my shoei with me to compare, so I'm going back to try them on side by side. The guy behind the counter was older than me, and said he was wearing a Bell for quite a long time and loved how they were coming back into play again. He said the star was really a track helmet or drag strip helmet for 100+mph in mind... and that the RS-1 had all the same bells and whistles with less concern for superspeed.

I'll definitely be going back on my bike to compare the two again. He said that the RS-1 would be coming out with new graphics here in August or so, and since we ride year round in TX, its not like I'm gonna miss out on the season. :) I'll share what I find.

Last edited:

trixster8

I rock the HJC is-16, its very comfortable, has good ventilation, but stays warm with the vents closed. It has a removable chin curtain and also a breath box accessory you can buy to prevent fogging, but I've never had a problem with it fogging without it. The main thing that sold me though is the inner visor, its SO handy, I never need sunglasses and I still have eye protection with the outer visor up. I will never buy a helmet without the inner visor again. Plus I got it on sale for a little over $100 :)

Nice! I have the same helmet, I also can't say enough about how nice the inner visor is, especially on hot days at speeds under 50. I don't use my outer visor much, unless I'm going fast, or it's cold out.

FZ8Grid

on your helmet, when you do a rear lane check with your head (not mirror checks) do you get pull from the wind like its trying to take it off your head?

Not at all bro. In normal wind anyway.

Iv been impressed with them and i fully think you get what you pay for. ICON can be on the highend of the spectrum, but for the quality and style its worth every penny.

Airframe is also a very nice one if you look into icon.

mano1192

Wow one of the dumbest statements in this forum to date ^^^^^^^ I love it! I dont care about protecting my bean, but I cant let the tats get scraped up, LOL!

mano1192

Living in Vegas I researched for great protection and massive ventilition, I found the scorpion 1100 to be the best to fit both criteria. I go the matt black version and also installed some bluetooth comms for music, worked out great.

asantos

[lang=es]hola

Finalmente me he decidido por este:

Casco HJC RPHA 10

Características del casco
Calota fabricada en fibra de vidrio. Interior: Silver Cool Plus / Desmontable y Lavable. Construcción en Premium Integrated Matrix (PIM), incorpora tres materiales – fibra de carbono, aramida y fibra de vidrio- para crear un tejido que mezcla los materiales y que da como resultado una calota extraordinariamente fuerte y ligera.

Ventilación superior Max Air-Flow: La entrada de aire en la ventilación superior es ajustable con guantes.
Sistema superior automático para el cierre de pantalla con palanca control.
5 mm Posición inicial de la pantalla por la liberación del sistema de cierre de pantalla.
Incluye dos pantallas: ahumada oscura 2D y una preparada para Pinlock.
Kit de mantenimiento HJC.
Deflector de barbilla.
Deflector de nariz.
Bolsa de transporte.
Sistema de cambio de pantalla RapidFire™: Sistema simple y seguro, muy rápido, se puede desmontar y montar sin herramientas.

Resumiendo, un casco gama premium, muy ligero (1200 gramos) a un precio muy competitivo: 270 euros en el concesionario de mi ciudad.

un saludo
alfredo[/lang]

Last edited:

sendtoharvey

on your helmet, when you do a rear lane check with your head (not mirror checks) do you get pull from the wind like its trying to take it off your head?

i sometimes get yanked around when i'm going 90+...i have an icon airframe..

Ivy33

Thanks! I have another helmet (Scorpion EXO 400) that I'm thinking about getting painted as a Transformer over the winter. That, along with the red, demon-eye HID headlight would look nice, I think.

I got the Iron Man helmet painted by a local artist who does helmets and other cycle artwork in my area.

:::FRECHETTE ARTWORK.COM:::

Last edited:

ShortstackRN

Don't overlook the Scorpion

Hey i'm new to the forum and looking through the threads I came across your helmet topic, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Since my profession as a trauma nurse unfortunately leads to seeing the worst side of our sport, I take the safety factor a bit serious.
Since my days of riding started I quickly found that what you pay for is what you get in head protection. I started with the cheap HJC and a similar quality AGV in the first year of riding. UNTIL someone introduced me to ARAI... and from that moment on i wouldn't wear anything else. However in today's economy I didn't have an extra 600-800$ to shell out for a new Arai or Shoei. I did some safety statistic research on different brands and Scorpion ranks pretty close up there with those two major names. Last month I purchased a EXO700 and let me tell ya, I am thoroughly IMPRESSED! In comparing it to ARAI i found it to be much less noisy with just as good if not better ventilation. Just as comfortable! Most impressive was the stability of the helmet (buffeting)! Cheap helmets I have worn made my head feel like it was in a paint mixer at Home Depot! I have to say this Scorpion was as smooth as my $800 Arai even upwards of 130mph on my CBR!!! The true test was at 90 mph on the FZ8... and even on a naked bike with the full blunt force of the wind it has NO buffeting! Best part was I found this helmet online for less than $120 on sale!!!
Sorry I got so long winded, like I said I'm new to posting, ill learn to shorten it up in the future lol~
Give Scorpion a look over, I can't say enough good things about them.
Have a great day!
ShortstackRN

Speedo007

I bought the Shoei RF-1100 to replace my 5 year old X-eleven. So far so good. My x-eleven used to have some wistling around the visor, much less of an issue with the RF-1100 (probably due to the new visor system). Weighs less then the new X-twelve and is way cheaper, interior is completely removable and washable, And comfort is 2nd to none. I think the only other brand of helmet I might try in 5 years is a Schuberth, really curious to see how silent they are...

Ivy33

I can't compare it to a Shoei or Arai because I've never owned one of them but my Schuberth C3 is much quieter than my Icon Domain or the Scorpion Exo 400. It seals air out very well which makes it pretty quiet. I wouldn't say it's silent but it's quieter than some others

The only thing that I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a D-Ring fastener. Instead it has this proprietary lock mechanism that hits my adams apple unless I put the fabric on it between them. Other than that it's very comfortable.

I think helmet silence has a lot to do with how "drafty" a helmet is. If it isn't fitting well then the air flow will make it noisy.

I highly recommend the Schuberth.