tires

mckshred

went with the...

Got a great deal and went with the bridgestone bt-016 battlex. I'll post a follow up review in a few thousand miles.

wa2txcory

Dunlop SportMax Q2 or Michelin 2CT or Michelin Power Pures

I dont like the stock tires at all. Live in Texas so its already 85+. Went out for a spirited ride yesterday through the twisties (first time on this bike), and the stock tires are nervous feeling, hard to track a corner, and dont seem to have grip/feed back I am use to. I am going to change out ASAP. The question is-has anyone had the tires above and what did you think? I have had 2CT on my gixxer and liked them but was looking for maybe even a little more grip. I dont use my bike for commuting-just ride each Wednesday and Sunday. I dont care to much about price or longevity and grip/safe riding cannot have number put on it. I was leaning toward the Power Pures but if anyone has used the Q2-whatd you think. Thanks.

lothodon

Super Moderator
first off welcome to the forums!!!

secondly tires tend to be a hot topic. some riders swear by one and others hate that same tire. if you have had tires in the past you like and felt safe on i'd recommend them again.

i know for ME i'll ride on nearly anything BUT a dunlop for the same reason you don't like the stock tires. i didn't feel safe but i know when pushed that i'm not as good a rider as my tires can handle once worn in.

Speedo007

If wear and price isnt a factor, you can also look into the Metzeller Sportec M3. They grip a lot, warm up fast, and the rear will last about 5-6000km on an FZ8.

wa2txcory

Tires

Thanks. I have been reading all the forums and finally had a reason to post. Was curious if anyone has used the power pures? Also Power Pures vs 2ct. A few guys that I ride with swear by the the Dunlops and use them all the time but I just dont know-dont know enough people who have ridden them and pushed with them on. Also, Metzelers I have never heard of? They seem to be a lot cheaper than the Michelins or Dunlops. YOu have used them and liked them? May have to do alittle more research with those cause if they are good cant beat the price.

Speedo007

The Metzeller Sportec M3 came stock on my 2009 Speed Triple. The only flaw they have is they melt fast if you do any highway at all you end up with a flat spot. I think Metzeller have a new model replacing that, but from what I remember, they weren't that cheap...was in the same price bracket as Michelins...

lothodon

Super Moderator
I too ran a set of Metzler Sportec's on my Buell and can confirm they are soft. Good for one season if you do straight roads too often.

FZER

Avid Rider
The front tire bothers me when I get in the breaks hard. All of those rain groves makes the front pulse a lot. I've got to go to some track one day. I'd love to go to one of those race schools.

Btucker1420

i picked up the battlax BT016 an love the tires such a great grip even in the rain once the tires get hot they are like glue an i am a daily driver an have put about 4000 miles on them an tires look great still

ibeme1

Lucky

One track day at Road Atlanta on my stock tires and they worked way better then I imagined they would.

I lowsided BUT it was my fault not the tires.....I will upgrade tire to Michelin Pilot Pro's one day but I gotta wear these down first. :D I had the Michelins on my '08 R6.

Wish I was out riding today :rolleyes:

FZER

Avid Rider
Yeah it's crazy nice outside! I guess in a little bit some bad weather is suppose to come in.

Glovik

Has anyone tried the pirelli angel ST? When I bought my bike the other day, the sales guy raved about the angels saying they were the tier above pr2s with much more life.

Angels anyone?

hypo

Has anyone tried the pirelli angel ST? When I bought my bike the other day, the sales guy raved about the angels saying they were the tier above pr2s with much more life.

Angels anyone?

what I LOVE about the PR2's is the 2 separate types of treadware (thicker/longer lasting chicken strip rubber and grabby edge rubber) since I do a LOT of straight line trolling, even though I LOVE the twisties, I think the wear pattern on the pirelli is going to wear out long before the PR2's... now that has nothing to do with grip and traction, and I LOVE my PR2's for their water siping and traction, but I bought them for longevity as well. :2cents:

Speedo007

Here's my Michelin Pilot Road 2 after 20000km on the front, just starting to have a tiny flat spot (and I'd say more then 60% of that milleage was on the highway) and the wear markers are pretty much out. Rear lasted about 12000km if I remember well. Only hesitation I got now is replacing with a PR2 or PR3...now that they are almost the same price I'll probably try the PR3.

Update: The front PR3 is only 15$ more then the PR2, so I'll be trying it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Künstler

Actually I had bad experience with bridgestone.My 92 TDM850 had that tires.They are very hard.TDM`s absorber were too soft,and I had really problems ride in curve and stopping my bike.After 3000km changed with Metzeler,and I felt myself like to get a new good bike.Same was happened with 93 zzr600.After Metzeler all problems were gone.
So I had a bit worried with FZ8`s stock tire ,Bridgestone...No,its is perfect...:)..Aspecially hard brake in city(ooo,no in Istanbul traffic..:(),this tires are very good.I am glad,and next change will be again same tires.

Have nice day..

White Rider

My bike was an ex demo and came with Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas. Yes, I know overkill, but wow!!!
Was so impressed I replaced them with the same again. I'll see how mileage goes and re evaluate. Have a Ducati supersport 1000 with michelin pilot powers. Very happy with them as well.

Sschwar4

Will be switching to Q2 once the suspension gets balanced. The stock tires (BT-21) are predictable till then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

C

Camo

My bike was an ex demo and came with Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas. Yes, I know overkill, but wow!!!
Was so impressed I replaced them with the same again. I'll see how mileage goes and re evaluate. Have a Ducati supersport 1000 with michelin pilot powers. Very happy with them as well.
I'm thinking off getting a set of the Pirelli's once the stockers are done. What sort of mileage did you get out of yours and how do they go in the wet?