tires

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
I couldn't be happier with the Michellin Pilot Power tires.

I've used both the regular and 2CT version on my R6S. :)

Speedo007

I dealed a tire swap when I bought my FZ8. Hate Battlax tires (I know, some love em).
So when I pick up the bike tomorrow it will already be on Michelin Pilot Road 2. Best tires I've ever tried, had a set on a Speed Triple and on an FZ6, they stick like glue in just about any condition and last forever. With the Speed Triple I was amazed how much traction these tires had (on dry and wet) considering the torque of the bike. The Michelin Pilot Road 3 are out, but are more expensive and the PRoad2 are so great, I personnaly wouldnt spend more for a miniscule gain in traction in rainy conditions (the difference between the Road 2 and Road 3 is probably not noticeable unless pushing it hard on the track in extreme wet conditions).

Last edited:

LitzerSki

The PR2's are also the best tire I have ever used. I've always absolutely hated the Battleax tire...nowhere near confidence inspiring. Tried the Metzler Z6...decent life, but still nowhere near the tire as the PR2.

Ozfazer6

Super Moderator
Another vote for the PR2 here ,had them on both my FZ6's and love 'em.
My current '6 has a pilot pure on the front,very good tyre ,but when replacement is due I will be going PR2.

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
I don't recommend getting anything Dunlop. I've high-sided on a pair of their tires... :mad: I believe they were the Sportmax GP-As... I don't recall.. I got rid of them immediately after the incident.

I'll have to look into the PR2s. :)

Last edited:

Speedo007

I put those on my 2005 FZ6 I just bought, and another set went on my 2011 FZ8. Trust me, you can't go wrong with the PR2's.

Only thing bad I've ever heard about them is that they arent the quickest tires to warm up. But I've been riding this week with spanking new tires (on both bikes) in 20F (-5C) temperatures (no need to say it's risky business...)...and though I'm very careful in the curves, didnt have one slip. Not saying you go full throttle from the get go, but in the summer, I never experienced anything stressful with these tires, they give good feedback, handling and stick like glue.

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
Dear God! -5C!? I'm grumpy riding in 8C during this winter season! Haha. You folks have it pretty tough. I'll be humbling myself every morning now. Michillin does take quite some time to warm up, but once it's there, its gold.

Speedo007

yeah wasnt even able to type after my ride yesterday, took about 15 minutes before I could feel my fingers again! lol!...those heated grips in the Yamaha catalogue now don't seem so expensive at 350$...:p

hahaha yeah i cant wait until next week calling for all above 0C here cant wait still a couple feet of snow here tho

hypo

I really want to know what tires work best on these bikes for everyday riding and twisties... I just got off a cruiser (shadow 750) and swore by the Metzeler ME880s and was hoping that someone had some good dope on what tires work best for these bikes and the way they're ridden.

Last edited:

Speedo007

Michelin Pilot Road 2, no doubt.

Here's what they look like after 3500km. As you can see there isnt that much agressive left turns around here hehe. The other side gets some peg scrapping but is still in excellent condition, and I must say I never worried about losing grip, you feel when your at the edge. They still look almost like new. Sure the bike isnt a torque beast so that helps keeping the middle of the tire in good condition when accelerating hard from 0km/h, but I'd be really surprised if I had to change the rear tire before 9-10000km. And they stick like glue rain or shine. Put a pair of Metzellers Sportec M3 and you'll be lucky if you get 6000km on an Fz8, and without gaining significant grip over the Pilot Road (unless your doing track days...)

Last edited:

djcecil

Dunlops

i am in love with the dunlop q2's 190/55 in the back. where i ride there are a ton of curves that are fast and tight. the 190 fixed the quick front end fall in and these tires are so sticky it feels like it is on rails and you can do no wrong. i was going to try the brigestones in the spring/summer but i am in love with these and don't know if i will change back. i spend more time hard on it in the country then my commute of only 12 miles a day so this tire style is suited to me.

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
I recently cruised the local canyons for a couple hours on a friend's Ducati M620. I'll have to retract my last statement to "stay clear of Dunlops". Those Q2s are definitely good tires.

C

Camo

Getting a Michelin Pilot Road 2 put on the rear tomorrow after a disgruntled co worker decided my rear tyre needed to be decorated by an industrial staple gun after a run in with management.

My tyre guy reckons I can expect 10-15,000km out of 'em, they're as good a street tyre as any and hold well in the wet.
SOLD!
Anybody running them or still loving them?

Speedo007

Still loving em, and the only other tire I'd put on a bike is the Pilot road 3, but they are more expensive and other then in rainy conditions don't think you get that much of a gain, and the PR2 are already top of it's class in the rain. The other day was cold outside tires were cold I ran over a patch of sand from a construction site so I basically made a start while driving by when I went over the sand expecting it would continu to slip a bit on the clean pavement after everything being so cold and sand left on tire, but it gripped and wheelied. That's how good these tires are :p Rain, hot, cold, they havent surprised me once. I think I changed my rear tire at around 12000km probably could have put another 1000km in them. Front tire has 17500km on it, still won't be changing it this year, I can easily put 20000km on it. Really can't think of an argument not to buy these tires.

kbrink

Does anyone like the stock bridgestones that came on this bike? I for one have grown to like these tires, good grip and they seem to have a good wear patern too. I have gotten a little bit of "controlled" under throttle slip out of these, but it's kinda fun!! Do the other tires out there, really make this bike that much better?

mckshred

well. i might of liked them

but I picked up a nail (rear tire) on the way home from my 600mile service.....dang it!

Historically, Bridgestone oem tires were cr*p. This one seemed okay until I picked up the nail and it went pffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

So now - do I have to stay with the same tire to keep in sync with my oem front tire? or can I change to a different (michelin) ? Anyone know?

Speedo007

I rarely changed both tires at the same time. I wouldnt worry about having a michelin and Bridgestone combination unless you're planning on a track day and pushing it to it's absolute limit...and even then...you should get enough feedback before losing one end or the other :) you might put 15000miles before your front needs to be replaced so anytime is a good time to change the stock tires to the PR2 Michelin :)

This week for the first time since owning this bike and tires I had the rear slip unexpectedly and it was my fault. Was around 0C outside road was kind of wet...so almost icy in some places. I got to a stop sign and tested the rear brake to see what kind of traction I had, sure enough it locked up pretty easily. So I turned on the boulevard and before being completely straightened up after turning I gunned it...yep it was kind of icy indeed the rear slipped sideways lol! I just let go the throttle and the rear tire found it's grip back. Really these are amazing. And yeah I then put the bike in the shed for the rest of the season :)

Last edited: