tires

Speedo007

I put a Pilot Road 3 in the front but for the rear I read somewhere that they don't last as long as the 2, so I'll be staying with Pilot Road 2s for the rear. Yesterday it was raining, my tires were cold, I wanted to just have a little fun when taking off from a stop sign and make the rear spin so I reved it up moved my weight forward, and let the clutch go....well to my surprise the front lifted instead of the rear slipping (and I have -1, +2 sprockets)...that says a lot about how insanely grippy these tires are...and they last too! Really it's the best of both worlds, performance and longevity. Maybe not for a track day but for 99% of the rest, they are simply perfect.

Last edited:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I put a Pilot Road 3 in the front but for the rear I read somewhere that they don't last as long as the 2, so I'll be staying with Pilot Road 2s for the rear. Yesterday it was raining, my tires were cold, I wanted to just have a little fun when taking off from a stop sign and make the rear spin so I reved it up moved my weight forward, and let the clutch go....well to my surprise the front lifted instead of the rear slipping (and I have -1, +2 sprockets)...that says a lot about how insanely grippy these tires are...and they last too! Really it's the best of both worlds, performance and longevity. Maybe not for a track day but for 99% of the rest, they are simply perfect.

I just ordered a front and rear PR3. Is the front tire(PR3) any noisier with the sipping than the PR2?

Speedo007

Can't say I noticed any difference for the sound. My old one was starting to get a bit flat in the middle after almost 20000km on it, when I left the shop with the new PR3 I almost fell on the side the first time I turned haha Just flips from side to side so easy compared to my used out old front tire. You'll most likely be satisfied with your set.

Mo$4FZ8

Stock Tires Sucked! Got Dunlop D616 live in So Cal most of the freeways are under construction so lots of gravel and sand. These tires stick in all sorts of conditions.
Quote Dunlop Web Page "D616 A sport radial for the street with both looks and performance to run anywhere. - Innovative and aggressive tread pattern derived from wet-track road-racing tread design. - Cool-running tread with superior grip characteristics also provides excellent cut and wear resistance."
Got them in Feb, weather was in high 20s at night then. I commute to work, at night for the Grave shift. 1700 miles on them now.
The Aggresive pattern makes the bike, plus handles much better now.

Sschwar4

Not impressed with stock tire. Excessive wear patterns. Only 5000 miles. Had better luck with Dunlop Q2. Wel'll see how they last. They sure corner well.

Crazywb23

I just upgraded to the three as well. I read somewhere that the grip was better than the 2's in the rain or shine, and it had better longevity than the 2. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet either...

GarryM

I wasn't overly impressed with the stock tyre but it lasted OK. I had a brand new rear Dunlop Q2 left over from my R6 so got a front to match and fitted them up. An amazing improvement over stock. There seems to be unlimited grip everywhere now, both wet and dry. And the tip in is very predictable which is one thing I've always liked about Dunlops and the thing I dont like about Michelins. I find the Michelins tend to fall into corners. I would get the Q2's again in a heartbeat except it looks like I'll be lucky to get 6000km out of the rear tyre. Ideally I'd like a tyre to last around 10000km.

i also just put a pr3 on the rear i got caught in the rain on my 2nd ride and it stuck to the road like glue

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Put the P3's on today. They feel really nice and sticky. Will see how long they last now. My stock B-21 front tire was starting to feather and wear oddly, the rear was down to the wear bars but wearing smoothly at 7400 kms..

Sschwar4

I wasn't overly impressed with the stock tyre but it lasted OK. I had a brand new rear Dunlop Q2 left over from my R6 so got a front to match and fitted them up. An amazing improvement over stock. There seems to be unlimited grip everywhere now, both wet and dry. And the tip in is very predictable which is one thing I've always liked about Dunlops and the thing I dont like about Michelins. I find the Michelins tend to fall into corners. I would get the Q2's again in a heartbeat except it looks like I'll be lucky to get 6000km out of the rear tyre. Ideally I'd like a tyre to last around 10000km.

Check with some of your local racers. Sometimes they get them real cheap and resell. Sub $200 for the pair, front and back.

FZER

Avid Rider
Stock Tires Sucked! Got Dunlop D616 live in So Cal most of the freeways are under construction so lots of gravel and sand. These tires stick in all sorts of conditions.
Quote Dunlop Web Page "D616 A sport radial for the street with both looks and performance to run anywhere. - Innovative and aggressive tread pattern derived from wet-track road-racing tread design. - Cool-running tread with superior grip characteristics also provides excellent cut and wear resistance."
Got them in Feb, weather was in high 20s at night then. I commute to work, at night for the Grave shift. 1700 miles on them now.
The Aggresive pattern makes the bike, plus handles much better now.

Awesome looking bike. Of course I'm changing the subject but what mirrors are those?

FZER

Avid Rider
Of course these aren't our sportbikes and they were carrying pretty good loads it seems, but this is worth reading.

Motorcycle defect victims of tire malfunction

I personally don't care for Goodyear, which seems to make Dunlop tires from this article. My Goodyear Duratracs just barely balance and one tire is only like 1% to the good as far as needing to be replaced due to not being able to balance it. Goodyear wouldn't replace it. Goodyears came standard on my wife's Maxima as well and I really dislike those tires as well. The more and more I read Michelin seems to be the way to go. They might be more expensive, but seem to be worth it. I will be buying new tires for both my Frontier and my wife's Maxma soon, they both most likely will have Michelin's on them. I have read really good things about Cooper's new AT3's though, so I might get those for the truck based on price.

Anyway, I'm not unhappy with the bridgestone's, course I haven't really pushed them hard, because everytime I seem to be pushing them I'm 20 mph or more over the speed limit..... It's crazy to see those warning signs that say something like 25MPH curve and I'm easily going around it at 55. I love my Yama!

Black Widow

Avid Rider
So after 1000 kms on my new Michelin p3 tires, i have to say i love them. Good grip wet or dry, seem to make the bike handle more posotively.