FZ8 mirror alternative

mano1192

Why do you say that, is the vibration on this bike compared to your speed triple really bad? I know in dirt we would change to protaper triple clamps and thicker bars. Does this have the same affect in street?

As much as I love the look of the circuits they are more useless than the stock mirrors... well I should explain, you can adjust them to the correct angle unlike the stocks, but the glass is so small its worthless. Just my :2cents: others may disagree. I am new to the road and drive every day in the city. I like to use my mirrors, for those who dont use them much it may not matter.

Im going to swap these for the Reverse Retros from PJs Parts, who has awesome customer service BTW, but now Im worried the vibration may make the swap a mute point.... thoughts?

Had those on a Speed Triple. Problem I see with bar end mirrors on the FZ8 is vibration. will be worse then those mounted closer to the middle I think...on the Speed they were perfect.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i would think the closer to the triple trees the mirrors are mounted the less vibration you'd see.

Speedo007

I think the Speed triple had less vibration at most rpms and the handlebars were thicker and probably less sensitive to vibration. On the Fz8 I predict the bar end mirrors to be quite "buzzy". Thats why I went with the Rizoma that fit in the stock sockets closer to the clamps. They might be smaller, but they should reduce vibration more then the big stock ones. I'll certainly give feedback once I've got them on.

mano1192

The circuits have zero vibration, I was very happy with that. Wait until you pick those suckers up they are like 2 pounds each, very heavy and high quality! I just ordered my bar ends and also got the Rizoma bar sliders.... I need to stop spending money on this bike my wife is gunna shoot me! I should have them wednesday, Ill let you know how the vibration is.

Lou Menace

exactly...though some manage to make mirrors look good AND legal:

:rolleyes:

Loves that bike...Took me a while to ween myself off of it and focus on the FZ8...Which is just as sexy...But that Monster will always be my first love, gotta love the trellis.

Speedo007

I tend to either go with the very cheap (hard to be dissapointed for the price) or the top end (rarely get dissapointed for the quality) when you pay 150$..it can go either way...my 2 cents :)

lothodon

Super Moderator
well color me impressed as of now. the mirrors i ordered from rideitmoto.com have shipped two day fedex international today and will be here wednesday (from hong kong to wisconsin). shipping was free for me so hopefully wednesday i can post a success.

they appear to be the same as trixter8's as seen in this thread... http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-mods/117-a.html so for $90 shipped i'm hopeful at best.

Last edited:

Speedo007

90$ seems pretty decent, more then 150$ :) And yeah those sellers from Hong Kong amaze me everytime, they get stuff delivered faster then when I order from the US or Canada...

Speedo007

Here's the comparison with stock mirrors. They are MUCH smaller, might be too small in fact, hard to say just from looking in the driveway. They sent me 2 left mirrors...so waiting to have this addressed.

So far I can say the quality is typical Rizoma, in other words, top notch.

I think Lothodon if your imitations are as good as some imitations I've seen, at 90$ they're worth it and will probably be more functional compared to the shape of the Rizoma circuits I bought. Don't get me wrong I do think the mirrors I bought look great, will just have to see if they are actually useful.

Last edited:

Speedo007

UPDATE:
I went for a ride. The mirrors are so small it's hard to get a clear vision (as we all know each eye doesnt have the same view so when looking in such a small area it's hard to get a nice clean view).

Vibrations might be very slightly less then stock but you still don't get a clear view. So are they worth 225$? If you see them as a piece of art, yes, they are very well built. But are they functionnal no. They are so small and half of that very small surface is your elbow so you need to move around just so you can see something in them.

I'll check with the store if they can take em back if not theyll be on ebay in a few...

Hope some of you guys find interesting alternatives that actually work and look good.

mano1192

My feelings were the same, just too small to be useful but man are they high qwuality and look sexy! Ive actually gotten use to them over the past week. My bar end mirrors should be here any day, cant wait to do a comparison with the Reverse Retros!

EDIT: I just realized I got two right hand mirrors from PJ's parts last week and you were the other guy who probably got the 2 left hand mirrors! LOL thats awesome! They have great customer service and shipped me my correct left hand mirror within 2 days.

Last edited:

Speedo007

I think I'll give em a try for a week...and will see how you like those bar end mirrors...just so frustrated for the price I paid. I mean of course I was expecting to sacrifice function for looks...but not by this much...

lothodon

Super Moderator
the bulk of my motorcycle days were spent on harleys so i'm no stranger to useless vibrating mirrors. i've found the r1 mirrors to be very comparable to the fz8 mirrors, great for seeing your elbows.

over the years i've grown very accustom to simply bending my elbow in when i want to look at something behind me so i don't expect much difference with the replacements i got, but i am looking forward to the aesthetics. still on schedule for a before 10:30am delivery tomorrow and my stock mirrors are already removed in anticipation.

trixster8

Those eBay mirrors look like Rizoma Dynamic replicas, which have a larger mirror surface than the circuits. I think you'll like them, I've been riding with the dynamics for four years now and I'm happy with them.

lothodon

Super Moderator
well they showed, and i'd post a pic of them installed but trixster just did (ha). they are identical in every single way to the pic he posted above.

heavy, definitely metal, blue tint and all. for the $90 i paid (including shipping) i couldn't be happier with the fit and finish. won't be able to ride today as it's raining and i just washed my bike, not to mention i have house cleaning to do.

my bike is officially "done"!

Speedo007

Im returning my circuits and getting these instead:

Had same mirrors (but in bar end format) on my speed triple and they worked great. So I think these look great and should be way more functional then the circuits...

lothodon

Super Moderator
that pic is just plain sexy in SO many ways. girls that ride are HOT. (i'm 41, i'm allowed to say that.)

Speedo007

EDIT: I just realized I got two right hand mirrors from PJ's parts last week and you were the other guy who probably got the 2 left hand mirrors! LOL thats awesome! They have great customer service and shipped me my correct left hand mirror within 2 days.

Too bad you didnt live an hour away! :p