190 vs 180 tires

wa2txcory

Hey quick question guys-I am going to get a new set of tires soon-like tomorrow probably- as I think the stock tires suck and I was wondering if I should get 180/55s or 190/55s. I like the idea of having a bigger contact patch when leaned over with 190s. I know its suppose to reduce flickability (which I dont get cause 190s on a 5.5 inch rim makes it a higher profile tire and I would think should make it turn in better but less stable at high speeds straight line) but its a pretty flickable bike to begin with so... Any insight from someone who has done this or any recommendations as there are a lot of experienced riders on here would be appreciated. Note-I ride hill country/twisties pretty much only. Dont use my bike for commuting. Thanks for the help.

dannyviking02

I have a 190/55 michellin Batlax pro and i love it. Aesthetically, i love the look. The bike looks too damn beefy. I also like how compared to the stock tire, i find it grippier in the corners.

D

DJK1505

I put a 190/50 on the rear. Kept the same profile, but wider tread. I have only put a few hundred miles on b4 I took it to the dealer, but seemed to feel better in the corners. I seemed to have a better feel laying it over and pushing it, it seemed very easy to flick, but I also lowered my front end at the same time. Try it man, you will like it!!!

Sschwar4

It depends on so many things.
Tire pressure
Compound
Suspension setup
Your weight

I did do a 190 on an R6, hated it from day one. Didn't carve anymore. Had to work it through the turns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FZER

Avid Rider
Wow you wouldn't think 10mm would make such a difference in looks....That's pretty cool. I wonder if a 200 would fit.......:eek:

FZER

Avid Rider
Thanks man, I doubt I'd do that anyway. It would be cool to see it on someone else bike though. I think I read where the new Ducati superbike has a 200 on the back.

D

DJK1505

I believe its just like a vehicle tire, you can put it on there but the tire will crown much more. Might cause the bike to "fall" into the turns more. Not sure, I know I have put tires on several of my trucks that were wider than recommended and I go full life out of them. the centers wear out a bit faster.

FZER

Avid Rider
Yeah I usually laugh at the bike with the 12" of stretch and a 300 on the back, but if I could get a 200-220 on my bike with only some minor changes, I think it would be cool on our semi-rat rod type bike. I wouldn't mind getting some gold wheels anyway, possibily some spoke wheels too. I'm keeping this bike so spending some money on it, when I got it.......doesn't quite hurt nearly as bad.

FZER

Avid Rider
Not completely sure about that one on my end. You'd have a larger sidewall and yes the rpm would change. I think I'd be more inclined to put a 190/50 on.

K-Gr.

Why buy a bike that was designed to be as nimble as possible and then hinder its turning capabilities for the looks ? :)
In 99% of cases fatter rear tire means rider needs to put more effort to make bike turn - but, if you live in US, I suppose this might be irrelevant - you guys have no corners anyway :p (i know, i'm gaining enemies here :D guys, i'm just kidding! :) )

FZER

Avid Rider
Why buy a bike that was designed to be as nimble as possible and then hinder its turning capabilities for the looks ? :)
In 99% of cases fatter rear tire means rider needs to put more effort to make bike turn - but, if you live in US, I suppose this might be irrelevant - you guys have no corners anyway :p (i know, i'm gaining enemies here :D guys, i'm just kidding! :) )

Well... you know us Americans, big truck, big tires, and small well......:eek: