190 vs 180 tires

i put a 190 pilot rd 3 on mine love the tire so far only dont notice much of a handling difference but i am not riding a lot twisties or on a track love the look tho got lots of complements - not getting compliments on the fact that its a 190 but that the tire looks good!

SeñorJack

El Guapo
its hard to tell the difference with a different brand tire. i am running the michelin PR3 at 190/50 and I have a 190/55 pr3 waiting in my room right now. from the stock the only differences I notice are as follows;

-slower lean in coming into a turn. no just countersteering and drop, you have to give it a little more encouragement. But along with that it feels more stable in the corners, but I think any size pr3 will feel better than those stocks.

-I the rear end feels much more under control. I live where there are some really really straight flat roads everyonce and a while I take her up to 130+ just to make sure I dont need a steering stabalizer yet haha. the rear end feels much better above 90 or so.

Jacek3743

its hard to tell the difference with a different brand tire. i am running the michelin PR3 at 190/50 and I have a 190/55 pr3 waiting in my room right now. from the stock the only differences I notice are as follows;

-slower lean in coming into a turn. no just countersteering and drop, you have to give it a little more encouragement. But along with that it feels more stable in the corners, but I think any size pr3 will feel better than those stocks.

-I the rear end feels much more under control. I live where there are some really really straight flat roads everyonce and a while I take her up to 130+ just to make sure I dont need a steering stabalizer yet haha. the rear end feels much better above 90 or so.

Is the change really noticeable or is it only noticeable with a lot of seat time?

SeñorJack

El Guapo
well thats a great question. I think any tire will feel different due to the brands tire profile you know? but yes, I feel a slower turn in. A heavier turn in is more accurate.

Overall my bike feels just the tiniest bit more stable. I like it, I feel confidant riding hard. If you want to maintain that snappy feel your stock tire size will provide yamahas intended feel for the fz8 but I will continue to rock the 190s as I like the secure feeling I get in the turns. really predictable for me. If you want to stay closer to stock but get the look of the 190 width, maybe try the 190/55. I havent tried but in theory it should provide a little (like a little little) better turn in.

I don't think you would be too bummed with a 190 unless you hit the track alot. and it looks baaaad *** imo :)View attachment 1549

Jacek3743

well thats a great question. I think any tire will feel different due to the brands tire profile you know? but yes, I feel a slower turn in. A heavier turn in is more accurate.

Overall my bike feels just the tiniest bit more stable. I like it, I feel confidant riding hard. If you want to maintain that snappy feel your stock tire size will provide yamahas intended feel for the fz8 but I will continue to rock the 190s as I like the secure feeling I get in the turns. really predictable for me. If you want to stay closer to stock but get the look of the 190 width, maybe try the 190/55. I havent tried but in theory it should provide a little (like a little little) better turn in.

I don't think you would be too bummed with a 190 unless you hit the track alot. and it looks baaaad *** imo :)View attachment 1549

You answered all of my questions on that one. I'm gonna be using it mostly for street and maybe I'll take it out on the track once since our nearest track is couple hours away. I think I'll go with the 190/55. I love the look of it!

cambo

Avid Rider

Hey senorjack....so just to clarify, you have the 190/50? That looks bad ***!

this is a great thread and I think I'm sold on getting a beefier rear tire. haha, anybody need a basically brand new S20 rear tire (stock size...whatever that is can't remember)

hey i used to run a 180 metzeler m3 now i am riding on a 190 m5 and the main difference i feel is that the bike drops with less effort. i like the 190 more for the purpose. but keep in mind the rear height will be raised a bit.

hope this helps

BDazzler

I'm not sure how my input will help, but I ride an FZ1 which comes stock with the 190/50. The stock tires (same brand/type as FZ8) are total crap. I changed mine early just to get rid of them. I put on the Michelin PR3's and stayed with the 190/50. I really considered the 190/55 for better turn in, but I live in east central IL and all the roads are straight and flat, so I thought I'd get more life out of the 190/50.

I'd like to try a sportier tire for a trip to the Dragon, and the Pilot Power 3 sounds like the one. If I do, I'll get it in the 190/55. Of course, every tire has a different profile. The Pilot Roads are not made for turn-in, but the Pilot Powers will likely have a steeper angle even in the 190/50. The 190/55 will add some height to the rear and make turn it quicker just by a taller rear end.

I understand the desire for a wider rear tire. If mine came with the 180 I think i would stick with it. The FJR1300 comes with the 180/55 also, as does the R6. I don't think you can go wrong with the 180/55, 190/50 or 190/55. You've got to change tires, so just try them out. To really know a difference, you'd have to get the same tire, but in the different size. Many on the FZ1 forum go with the 190/55. I've heard of a few that go 200, but not many. It much harder to find a 200 anyway. :2cents:

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Hey senorjack....so just to clarify, you have the 190/50? That looks bad ***!

this is a great thread and I think I'm sold on getting a beefier rear tire. haha, anybody need a basically brand new S20 rear tire (stock size...whatever that is can't remember)

ya 190/50.

sidenote to the size, Ive got to plug the michelin PR3! ive not had a tire improve a vehicle of any kind like these!

cambo

Avid Rider
ya 190/50.

sidenote to the size, Ive got to plug the michelin PR3! ive not had a tire improve a vehicle of any kind like these!

haha, another question...probably stupid but here goes: what do you mean you have to plug the PR3?

It sounds like this is a good thing from the context of your post but when i think plug, I think...flat tire needs plugging lol!

ssky0078

I would go with 190/55. I would not do a 190/50 as the flatter profile because the lean in is a little more effort requiring. If it was between a 190/50 over a 180/55. I would do the 180/55.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
haha, another question...probably stupid but here goes: what do you mean you have to plug the PR3?

It sounds like this is a good thing from the context of your post but when i think plug, I think...flat tire needs plugging lol!

sorry I should clarify. I mean plug as in favorably suggest them. They have a great wear to traction ratio. I really enjoy the shape Of the tire, feels great under heavy braking. great at high speeds. I am sure there are better track day tires. but for day to day riding and traction these are great.

also just wanted to point out that 190/50 wasnt a huge diffrence for me. a 190/50 has roughly a 95mm height and a 180/55 has a 99mm height. so the height is very similar, but put against the varying widths, it can be quite a difference. but my PR3s seemed to arrive with a rounder profile than my stock tires.

Koeke

I have a 190 now, next time i take back the 180. Love to go deep in the corner and with te 190 i have to work to hard to get there.

socal

I am a tad late on this discussion but did anyone change the front tire size when going to the 190?

Sent in response to the Bat-signal.

i kept the same size front but now running bridgestone s20's and the rear is a 190/50 dude its as sticky as a hookers toothbrush.