Sounds stupid, but can I get the warning sticker off the tank w/o f'ing up the tank?

mckshred

Anyone take the sticker off their gas tank? You know the Government mandated sticker no one ever reads?
Usually a heat gun will do the trick, but not that close to the fuel tank!:eek:

H

Hoover

Yup, just peeled mine off. Left the bike in the sun for 10 mins. Wiped it down with isoproyl alchohol.
No worrries,
I de-badged my entire bike. No Yammy logos, no stickers. All thats left is the FZ8 on the tank as that is cleared over. That will be gone this winter.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
I tried peeling up one corner to take it off, but didnt want to come off easy
so i left it on. I am also one that doesnt like any sticker or advertising on any of my vehicles no hanging crap from mirror. but I do like the FZ8 on the tank.

D

Deleted member 438

Warning

I suck!!! I scratched the hell out of that area trying to get mine off.

Spike82

the fuel tank is gas resistant so you can easly take away the glue that the stiker left on it with the same fuel.... after that use water to wash and TADAAAA

mckshred

Worked like a champ!

Thanks guys. I did just as you all stated.
1) Peeled the clear plastic film from the top of the sticker by hand in about 10 seconds.

2) Used the Heat Gun on low for spot heating (the edge of the sticker I was working off) for about 5-10 seconds at a time, scraped the sticker edges gently with my thumbnail - in about 20 minutes the sticker was gone and I only had a layer of glue residue where it used to be.

3) Used a clean rag with just a small dab of WD-40 and a little elbow grease to rub the glue off and in another 5 minutes - Voila shiny and new tank w/o their stupid sticker:)!

FZER

Avid Rider
Blow dry the hell out of it. Think about gas in a container outside in the middle of the summer in middle GA. No spark and no bomb, however a blow dryer does have an electric motor.....:eek:

Nah I have to say I'm a little worried about removing mine as well on the matte finish.

dubel

I have the matte finish as well. Peeling off at room temperature failed miserably. I then used WD-40 for a while softly peeling away at the residue for about 15 minutes. After that it was okay but still could see what seemed like shiny areas where it took me longer to remove residue... as though I had glossed parts of the matte finish! Fortunately, tried GooGone (PlantPower) and that removed the remaining shiny areas. Should have tried GooGone first but didn't have it at home. Finally I washed the area clean with mild soap and water, to prevent any long term paint wear from residual GooGone.

I am also debating removing the Yamaha logos, and possibly the FZ8 logos on the back.

AndyP

I just removed mine using a hair dryer and some turps substitute. The clear platic layer comes off easily and then I used an old credit card to scrape away the sticker bit by bit. The turps got rid of the remaining glue fairly easily with a bit of elbow grease. Job done in 20 minutes.

wa2txcory

Goo Gone

I just used goo gone. Soaked a rag in it, let it sit for a couple minutes on the sticker and then used a plastic scaper-flimsy kind for paint and it came right off.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Just took mine off, blow dryer with credit card worked. then it left the square outline where it was. used wd40 didnt have acetone and that didnt work as good as i thought it would. then tried carb cleaner came right off then used car wash soap, buffed you never know it was there.

xxyjoel

Goof Off did the trick for every logo on the bike, including the warning sticker...Just wear gloves when you use it, that s**t burns.

JP

Yamacat1000

I used "Lube Job" brand carb cleaner. Came off like a dream, a little SC1 over it after and theres no sign there was even a sticker there.