Let's talk synthetic oils - how soon and what kind?

Glovik

How soon did you switch to synthetic oil?

I'm getting ready to be getting my 600mi service, and I've come to the conclusion synthetic oil is the way to go. How soon though? Some friends I know say to not do it right away, as it's too slippery for your new engine and can get in the seals or what not. How long did you wait to switch over?

Last edited:

Ott

I'm getting ready to be getting my 600mi service, and I've come to the conclusion synthetic oil is the way to go. How soon though? Some friends I know say to not do it right away, as it's too slippery for your new engine and can get in the seals or what not. How long did you wait to switch over?

I went synthetic at the 600 mile mark, thinking that the break on process is complete by then. Rotella T for me.

hypo

do a search for synthetic (and other spellings) we've talked quite a bit about oils and filters and such.

I went straight to Walmart, got some Rotella T6 and their supertech filter (not sold in stores anymore) for less than $30... and used it every time I changed the oil and filter.

D

DJK1505

Went straight to AMS oil at 600, have almost 9K now. A little expensive but I am a huge fan of AMS oil.

DJ

Glovik

do a search for synthetic (and other spellings) we've talked quite a bit about oils and filters and such.

Yeah I noticed this after making the thread originally as I found the big thread on discussing filters and oils. Tried to change the topic to just how soon to switch but it doesn't change on the main forum page :(

Either way I'll check out the Rotella T6, thanks!

FZER

Avid Rider
Very good stuff. I've got to figure out what kind of filter to use now though......Wix?

D

Deleted member 438

Yeah I noticed this after making the thread originally as I found the big thread on discussing filters and oils. Tried to change the topic to just how soon to switch but it doesn't change on the main forum page :(

Either way I'll check out the Rotella T6, thanks!

I'm running Rotella T6 and a Mobil1 oil filter. I also switched to synthetic right at 600 mi.

SpunkyTheTuna

Porsche and Corvettes come from the factory with synthetic oil. If that doesn't tell you something, all the discussion in the world won't.

H

Hoover

Porsche and Corvettes come from the factory with synthetic oil. If that doesn't tell you something, all the discussion in the world won't.

Agreed, but almost all high performance engines are "well run in" on a dyno before they ever enter an engine bay.
Remember, motorcycle engines contain gearboxes, clutches and are normally only just run up to make sure they are firing on all 4.

I totally believe in Synthetics and have done for years. But break your bike engine in on the regular stuff to let the rings seat and flush out the crap.
Change it every 500 miles untill you get to 2000. Then go full Syn and go to every 3-4 K depending on your riding and conditions.

I am not sure the evidence between all the syths is enough to swing your buying opinion, but I would recomend using one of them.

Sschwar4

Ran Yamalube FS until I found Motul 300V. Ran it in my R1 first, had better shifting and improved fuel economy. Oil was much cleaner on drains.

So, at second oil change (2000 miles) on FZ8, put Motul in. What a difference. Much smoother shifting and 3 mpg better on average.

A friend had been running Mobil in his FZ1 for 20K miles. Made the switch to Motul, he won't go back. Says bike sounds better, shifts better and higher mpg.

Make sure you get the road version of the 300V.

Coolslice

I went to the store today. I got some T6 for the bike and some Royal Purple for my mower.

I hope the T6 works as well. I gotta say, the transmission on my FZ8 is rough. That is one area where I will take a Ducati over a Yamaha all day long. If the T6 can smooth out the transmission some, I'll be a happy camper. If I can't tell much difference, I may go to Motul for the next change.

H

Hoover

I went to the store today. I got some T6 for the bike and some Royal Purple for my mower.

I hope the T6 works as well. I gotta say, the transmission on my FZ8 is rough. That is one area where I will take a Ducati over a Yamaha all day long. If the T6 can smooth out the transmission some, I'll be a happy camper. If I can't tell much difference, I may go to Motul for the next change.

How do you find the trans so rough? Is it during hard riding, gentle riding?
It does shift hard into first, that has a lot to do with the light crank.
I find mine very smooth during most conditions. I almost never use the clutch going up and rev match coming down.

Coolslice

How do you find the trans so rough? Is it during hard riding, gentle riding?
It does shift hard into first, that has a lot to do with the light crank.
I find mine very smooth during most conditions. I almost never use the clutch going up and rev match coming down.

I find that it shifts hard at times, sometimes the shifts are vague, other times it can feel that the shifter is stuck. I REALLY hate when I come to a stop and try to downshift it into neutral or first, and it just clicks down, but won't downshift. Then I have to roll the bike forward to get the transmission to get itself together to let me down shift.

Most times it works fine, and it is still new and needs to be broken in. However, even though the Yamaha is much better quality than my Ducati, the Duc's transmission was always consistent. It shifted smoothly and correctly every time.

I hope it will smooth out with time and a better oil. I just can't help but think that at this point, Yamaha has enough experience building bikes that in the year 2012, they should be able to put out a near perfect transmission. It's my only real complaint with the bike.

Sschwar4

I think the shifting is very consistent. My FZ8 shifts the same as my 09 R1, 03 R6, 07 R6, 07 YZF600R and many others. Transmissions are just like 1911 pistols, if you don't pay attention to what you're doing, they can jam up.

Usually, just a slight release of the clutch will clear thing up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I think the shifting is very consistent. My FZ8 shifts the same as my 09 R1, 03 R6, 07 R6, 07 YZF600R and many others. Transmissions are just like 1911 pistols, if you don't pay attention to what you're doing, they can jam up.

Usually, just a slight release of the clutch will clear thing up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would have to agree, I love how mine shifts. I tend not to use my clutch unless at a stop and it never fails to click-in once the throttle is "anti-blipped." My only complaint is that it doesn't like going to neutral at a stop in first until she has warmed up at bit. N from second though works every time.

beefcake morris

What weight oil are you guys running in the T6 from wal-mart. I am finding a 5 gallon jug of 5-40 for $21.36. It doesn't say anything about motorcycle use though.

hypo

What weight oil are you guys running in the T6 from wal-mart. I am finding a 5 gallon jug of 5-40 for $21.36. It doesn't say anything about motorcycle use though.

Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee304/SteveKoski/20100119 New Wee/20100124Oil002.jpg

JASO-MA means its tested/good/certified for motorcycle usage.

Rotella "T" JASO/MA Certified - Bob Is The Oil Guy