Let's talk synthetic oils - how soon and what kind?

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Extra Virgin Olive Oil here. Pure, no additives..... but every time I ride I get a weird craving for Italian food?

rysyndrome

Did first oil change yesterday. '11 FZ8 with 320 miles on it. Probably a bit early on mileage but I've owned it since last Nov and I didn't like how black the oil was looking. Anyway, went with 1gal of Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic and Mobile1 oil filter. Together was about $35.
Took the bike out today and put 30miles miles on it. The bike is so much smoother. Engine revs and shifting are like a night and day difference, at least to me. The 5k buzz is less too. I am sold on synthetics now. Feels like it should have from the get go. No more "dumping" down into 1st gear anymore. At least that's how it used to feel. Hope it stays this way.

V

Vapordan

Did first oil change yesterday. '11 FZ8 with 320 miles on it. Probably a bit early on mileage but I've owned it since last Nov and I didn't like how black the oil was looking. Anyway, went with 1gal of Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic and Mobile1 oil filter. Together was about $35.
Took the bike out today and put 30miles miles on it. The bike is so much smoother. Engine revs and shifting are like a night and day difference, at least to me. The 5k buzz is less too. I am sold on synthetics now. Feels like it should have from the get go. No more "dumping" down into 1st gear anymore. At least that's how it used to feel. Hope it stays this way.

man, you're riding the shit out of the bike. It's probably breathless too. At that rate, you'll hit the 1000 mile mark in ohhhhhhh about 6 years.

rysyndrome

man, you're riding the shit out of the bike. It's probably breathless too. At that rate, you'll hit the 1000 mile mark in ohhhhhhh about 6 years.

I know it sux, kinda. About 2 miles a day commuting to work. Only significant mileage is on weekends and as you can see that is rare too. But I got a jacket for this fall so hopefully I can ride well into cold weather. But it's my toy so hope to keep it a long time.

V

Vapordan

I'm not much better than you. I barely limped over the 500 mile mark after over 2 months. It's not for lack of wanting to ride, I find life gets in the way. either the wife is off in the mall hurting the credit card and I have to babysit, or there's chores and stuff to do. Friday I came home with the grand intention of riding hard, nice day, clear sky. Sat in the garage, looking at her fantasizing about the ride, planning my route up north. Next thing I know I've had 5 shots of brandy and coke, it just kinda snuck up on me. I was buzzed, couldn't ride. Saturday, bike in for its first service. AFTER I realized that Monday is a holiday here. etc. etc. So i'm on here moping...

Harrywz

Ha. I got mine may 19th and im going to hit 3k this week. Time for another oil change
Got mine May 30th and I have 5050km on it.:)

But I cheated....had 2060 on it when I got it so actually I put on almost 3000km in a month. Planning on filling with synthetic at 6000km mark. Either going to go with Kawasaki synthetic (4 liter jug for about $40.00, made by Mobil) or Spectro gold and Hiflo filter

highoctane

Canyon Carver
I know it sux, kinda. About 2 miles a day commuting to work. Only significant mileage is on weekends and as you can see that is rare too. But I got a jacket for this fall so hopefully I can ride well into cold weather. But it's my toy so hope to keep it a long time.

Yea I know the feeling, I live exactly 1.1 miles each way to work and home. I mostly ride weekends or a short evening ride. only 1200 mi on mine.

bobbyb

rotella

1100 km on mine . 2 dino oil changes previous. now t6 rotella. we'll see, going to minnesota in 2 weeks. 9 hrs each way.
B

kjonas75

Just had 1000KM on mine and filled it with Full Synthetic (Penrite).

Dealer today told me I should wait until at least 5000KM before going full synthetic, and told me to switch to semi synthetic.
He advised he has seen numerous bikes with glazing issue due to going full synthetic too early. I asked the dealer why this isn't mentioned in the manual, and he said it was common knowledge.

So today I removed the full synthetic and put in semi synthetic (Penrite).
Rang dealer and told him I put in semi synthetic as advised.
He told me I should have used Yamalube (semi) as it was designed especially for Yamaha bikes. Yamalube is also twice the price.

Last week I contacted Castrol to ask about running full synthetic in a motorbike after the 1000Km. Castrol advised me I will have engine issues (glazing) if going to synthetic too early. In fact he referred to the exact same issue (glazing due to going to full synthetic too early) with the Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo (BA) that is sold here in Australia. I rang Ford to check if this was true and Ford told me they never heard of such issue. Ford also advised me that Full Synthetic is now standard on most European cars.

Also rang Mobil and they told me that it's fine to use full synthetic (it's on their website).

I have had 3 previous motorcycles and 3 cars, all of them ran full synthetic from the beginning (whatever was on sale). My latest car (Toyota Avalon with 1MZFE, heads made by Yamaha) has over 300000KM on it. A mechanic recently advised me that the engine has hardly any worn parts and it looks brand new. He told me whatever I am doing keep it up.

Who the hell do I believe ??

sinclap2

Lazy
I'd go with your experience (re your car and bikes) and the knowledge and first hand experiences shared here. Read and make an informed decision. You will always get conflicting opinions and experiences. (a perfect one was that one mechanic told me years ago not to use BP Petrol for some reason and I believed him being a naive teenager. The a few years later another told he complete opposite...so, I just started usingt he nearest petrol stations when I was running low :)). Sometimes people are just full of sh*t and are pushing their own agendas.

The dealer you mention kinda sorta had me up until he said you should use yamalube. I dare say he would have said you should also buy their oil filter too. In my cynical opinion they just want you to buy their products, so they're going to try and guilt you into it.

I put full synth in on the weekend, I'm not going to change it until I have to. So, I'll let you know how it goes. Truthfully, I'm not worried. If it stuffs up or Has a glazing issue, I will deal with it.

Last edited:
V

Vapordan

Just had 1000KM on mine and filled it with Full Synthetic (Penrite).

Dealer today told me I should wait until at least 5000KM before going full synthetic, and told me to switch to semi synthetic.
He advised he has seen numerous bikes with glazing issue due to going full synthetic too early. I asked the dealer why this isn't mentioned in the manual, and he said it was common knowledge.

So today I removed the full synthetic and put in semi synthetic (Penrite).
Rang dealer and told him I put in semi synthetic as advised.
He told me I should have used Yamalube (semi) as it was designed especially for Yamaha bikes. Yamalube is also twice the price.

Last week I contacted Castrol to ask about running full synthetic in a motorbike after the 1000Km. Castrol advised me I will have engine issues (glazing) if going to synthetic too early. In fact he referred to the exact same issue (glazing due to going to full synthetic too early) with the Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo (BA) that is sold here in Australia. I rang Ford to check if this was true and Ford told me they never heard of such issue. Ford also advised me that Full Synthetic is now standard on most European cars.

Also rang Mobil and they told me that it's fine to use full synthetic (it's on their website).

I have had 3 previous motorcycles and 3 cars, all of them ran full synthetic from the beginning (whatever was on sale). My latest car (Toyota Avalon with 1MZFE, heads made by Yamaha) has over 300000KM on it. A mechanic recently advised me that the engine has hardly any worn parts and it looks brand new. He told me whatever I am doing keep it up.

Who the hell do I believe ??

Actually, both are correct, see this dated but accurate article discussing the issue
glazing and synthetics According to the article, Engines with factory filled synthetics are designed and tested specifically for synthetics. Engines that are not factory filled with synthetics should first be allowed to ware and sit correctly before using synthetics other wise glazing can sometimes occur. It sounds like your dealer was correct, I don't see Yamaha building the fz8 for synthetics because it is a budget bike.

This is another link that describes glazing. I point it out because it contains a hidden gem. It actually says that light loads on an engine during break in is bad for the engine. It re-enforces my approach which is to break in my Z8 with a very heavy hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

kjonas75

The manual only states to change oil at 1000Km, it doesn't say anywhere that I cannot use full synthetic. It only said the oil must meet JASO MA standard. Full Syntetic meets JASO MA.

It sounds like the user manuals should be updated to say something like "Do not use full synthetic for the first 5000Km".

I was also advised by the dealer to use 95 octane, even though it said in the manual the bike was developed for 91 octane (87 in the US). So you can see why I hesitate to believe the dealer.

rysyndrome

I filled at 300 miles with synthetic and now the bike shifts smoother. Would do it again in a second no matter what some "pro" told me. I took my Saab sedan which uses full synthetic from day one to the dealer last month for an oil change and they had the car for a week. Mechanic broke the oil filter housing and had to order/install a new one. BTW the oil dipstick in the car looks like new with 60k on it. every car I have ever had that used conventional oil there was some burnt oil on the dipstick discoloring it, but not on this car.
Anyway, a better running engine and tranny is all the proof I need. Not listening to someone who could have an agenda. Besides, the bike isn't my primary mode of transport.