Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shock

It's funny to me that most of the rationalisation for being pro gun is fear and a right to bare arms.
It all sounds like propaganda to me.

Out of curiosity, those of you who said guns were a hobby, why guns and not knife throwing, bomb building or the art of strangulation?
All similar in the common denominator right...?
Is it that guns have been glorified and turned into a symbol of freedom and power? Maybe it's subconsciously cool to shoot guns and shit.

Well for one I hunt! Two the purpose of my guns is not to hurt others. I am prepared to protect my family and live with the consequences. I pray to God I never have to shoot any person! Life is precious.

If you look at mass shootings very rarely are ARs used. It's usually handguns. I realize the USA has a problem which is why I'm not opposed to making harder to get. I'm opposed to making it impossible.

My kids don't have access to any gun in my home as they are locked up.

Also it's crazy to say all that crap about guns, bomb making and strangulation are common ground. One is mass destruction one is singular kill and one provides a means of a multifaceted tool for competition killing and providing food.

Last edited by a moderator:

jumb5150

You really don't think the damage would have been less if he only had the 2 handguns? If you're suggesting handguns have the same capabilities of AR-15's then I REALLY don't understand guns...

Again not lobbying to ban long-barrels or handguns... but why is it so easy to buy one?

We can debate this for 100 pages... I'm just going to end it on that note. Take the NRA tactic and go silent until the heat dies down.

Yes my .40 caliber pistol will leave a bigger hole than an ar. The projectile on a .40 cal diameter is much larger. As far as rate of fire, they are both the same, semi auto.

Lee_533

Mate most of the convicts sent here were sent here for petty crimes like stealing bread so they and their family could eat..

I know it is our right to have a gun... I guess it's also my right to keep a box of tampons in my pocket... I wouldn't use either... Lol

But that's what people are afraid of in the US. It's our right to own guns, doesn't mean you have to but you can. It's more of a freedom thing. If they take guns away (which is one of the biggest industries here) what else can they outlaw? Guns are just one of many things the government is getting too invoked with. My tax dollars go to politicians for gas, cell phones, ect. And not to mention, there are fat lazy people here that don't do anything with their lives and the government takes care of them with my tax dollars. Like in California, if you have a fixed blade, it has to be visible at all times or its considered a concealed weapon and is a felony. It's stupid laws like that that get people scared. Honestly, if the US government tried to take everyone's guns, there would be a riot or revolution and the government knows it. That's why they are slowly putting more and more regulations to where it will just be impossible to get a gun, but no illegal.

ssky0078

But that's what people are afraid of in the US. It's our right to own guns, doesn't mean you have to but you can. It's more of a freedom thing. If they take guns away (which is one of the biggest industries here) what else can they outlaw? Guns are just one of many things the government is getting too invoked with. My tax dollars go to politicians for gas, cell phones, ect. And not to mention, there are fat lazy people here that don't do anything with their lives and the government takes care of them with my tax dollars. Like in California, if you have a fixed blade, it has to be visible at all times or its considered a concealed weapon and is a felony. It's stupid laws like that that get people scared. Honestly, if the US government tried to take everyone's guns, there would be a riot or revolution and the government knows it. That's why they are slowly putting more and more regulations to where it will just be impossible to get a gun, but no illegal.

2 things,

Samarai sword unsheathed = Awesome (walking dead style) JK

and

The last government to come and take the the peoples guns after requiring mandatory registration was a little political party called the Nazi's. The place was Germany. Prior to that it was a man called the King of England and the place was America. Both England and Germany got their asses kicked. No way in hell am I giving up my gun and I will continue to buy them as long as I can afford it and it's easy.

ssky0078

So as I was eating my breakfast I was reading up on the "fiscal cliff" debates between the President and Boehner.

I think people fail to understand that when there is a significant financial strain on the people and they are hungry or don't have a place to stay, then survival mode kicks in. When people are in survival mode rational thought starts to go out the door because only making it through the next moment is what counts.

I believe if we were to cut the social services programs, then assault, robbery, home invasion and homicide rates would all go up. I forget where I was watching the special but it was one of the ghettos (cabrini green maybe) and they showed that there was a rapid deterioration after funding had been cut. Also if you watch what happened in Greece and the EU countries that suffered huge financial cuts, there was more violence and rioting there.

In my neighborhood, South Scottsdale, there has been an increase in home invasions over the last year. Nobody has been killed but a couple people have been beaten.

A gun to me is first a deterrent, most people run when they see one if they are up to no good and second a means of self-protection. I'd rather have the option and not use it, then be stuck in a threatened position.

C

Camo

So as I was eating my breakfast I was reading up on the "fiscal cliff" debates between the President and Boehner.

I think people fail to understand that when there is a significant financial strain on the people and they are hungry or don't have a place to stay, then survival mode kicks in. When people are in survival mode rational thought starts to go out the door because only making it through the next moment is what counts.

I believe if we were to cut the social services programs, then assault, robbery, home invasion and homicide rates would all go up. I forget where I was watching the special but it was one of the ghettos (cabrini green maybe) and they showed that there was a rapid deterioration after funding had been cut. Also if you watch what happened in Greece and the EU countries that suffered huge financial cuts, there was more violence and rioting there.

In my neighborhood, South Scottsdale, there has been an increase in home invasions over the last year. Nobody has been killed but a couple people have been beaten.

A gun to me is first a deterrent, most people run when they see one if they are up to no good and second a means of self-protection. I'd rather have the option and not use it, then be stuck in a threatened position.

So fear is your motivating factor.
I was always taught that if you plan on using or carrying a weapon, be careful what you use as it can be used against you.

Hunting is a perfectly acceptable use for firearms but I'm sure there's no need to hunt with an AK47 or the like?

ssky0078

So fear is your motivating factor.
I was always taught that if you plan on using or carrying a weapon, be careful what you use as it can be used against you.

Hunting is a perfectly acceptable use for firearms but I'm sure there's no need to hunt with an AK47 or the like?

I guess I would have to go with yes, fear. As the opposite would be love and I don't consider myself a sociopath who would love to do someone bodily harm. Or logically we could call it what it is self-defense preparedness.

Here's a funny thought, if Bambi can shoot back. When I was purchasing my gun, the guy at the gun shop made that exact point you did. He said whatever you purchase make sure that you are sure enough of yourself that it can not be taken from you and used against you.

The reason for using an AK47 to hunt or similar AR platform weapon is 2 fold. Economics and multi-use. Many of the survivalist websites point to having several different weapons; handgun for CQC, shotgun for homedefense, .22LR for plinking/varmint control, Long Rifle 30.06/.300win/7mm for larger animal hunting and AR/battle rifle for territory defense. In theory a person could go with a .223/5.56 AR rifle to perform both plinking/small-med game hunting/territory defense. The AK47 would give the ability to use .308 rounds/7.62 for bringing down medium game at the loss of varmint control.
So in theory if you have a couple of the same caliber handguns, shot gun with different loads, and either an AR-15 or AR-10 platform weapon you would only have 3 different types of ammo to stock up on and be ready for the most situations. For that package will say $1500 for the 2 pistols, $500 for the shotgun, and $2000 for the AR with scope. Then about $500 in pistol ammo, $500 in shotgun ammo and $1000 in AR ammo.

I think people get confused when their only reference for guns is the stuff on TV and movies.

H

Hoover

Survivalist... now theres a word.
Just exactly what are they surviving?

ssky0078

Survivalist... now theres a word.
Just exactly what are they surviving?

Not sure exactly. Perhaps they are fans of the original version of Red Dawn or maybe The Day After Tomorrow or even better the Omega Man or Mad Max or Terminator or the Matrix or Doomsday Preppers or Survivor Man or Book of Eli.

There is a part of the human psyche that is fascinated by catastrophic scenarios. Some people invest a big chunk of their life in preparing for it. If you've ever seen Doomsday Preppers they break into down into water, food, shelter, security and x faxtor.

You can take your test here. LOL

Get Your Prepper Score | National Geographic Channel

H

Hoover

Not sure exactly. Perhaps they are fans of the original version of Red Dawn or maybe The Day After Tomorrow or even better the Omega Man or Mad Max or Terminator or the Matrix or Doomsday Preppers or Survivor Man or Book of Eli.

There is a part of the human psyche that is fascinated by catastrophic scenarios. Some people invest a big chunk of their life in preparing for it. If you've ever seen Doomsday Preppers they break into down into water, food, shelter, security and x faxtor.

You can take your test here. LOL

Get Your Prepper Score | National Geographic Channel

Yeah, Ive seen bits of it.
Each to there own I guess. Bunch of loonies if you ask me.

C

Camo

I'm thinking I should start stock piling weapons on account of the zombie apocalypse that is no doubt the next large scale event after the close call we had with the Mayan Callander expiring.

Survivalists? Fuck me... Fear and psychosis in America.
You know how Aussies would survive? We'll all pitch in, collecting all the beer and meat we can find, go fishing and prawning, and kick back having one big ass communal BBQ while we watch The US kill of their survivors till they run out of ammo.
To much fucking Hollywood for people I swear.

S

Shock

As per the usual people take subjects way off the base. It all comes down to freedoms. In America we are guaranteed certain freedoms and we don't like anyone trying to step on our freedoms. Do I need an AR to hunt with NO! Does the government have the right to say I can't I don't think so. I realize they can pass the laws to do just that however. How much sense does passing the law though if everyone with one is grandfathered in? It will take over a hundred years for the ARs already out there to be obsolete. Just saying

C

Camo

Are you less free without a gun?
In America you're guaranteed certain freedoms and don't like people stepping on your freedoms lol.
You should change the name of this thread to "US arms propaganda and the right to be brainwashed by centuries of gun culture".
:hardforeheadslapemoticon: :guninmouthemoticon:

S

Shock

Are you less free without a gun?
In America you're guaranteed certain freedoms and don't like people stepping on your freedoms lol.
You should change the name of this thread to "US arms propaganda and the right to be brainwashed by centuries of gun culture".
:hardforeheadslapemoticon: :guninmouthemoticon:

Since the Aussies have already laid down before the government and accepted getting spanked even said "yes sir may I have another" your attitude doesn't surprise me.

Brain washed is what you have been by your government

S

Shock

It is utterly clear that this subject although brought about differing ideas will ultimately lead nowhere.

W

WARPTH

At the end of the day innocent children have been murdered whilst at school. And the only thing different in the us compared to any where else in the world where it doesn't happen is your gun laws. And that is black and white.

C

Camo

Lol yeah, that's it. You think for a minute if it was economically viable for your government they'd not tighten the laws right up and see the industry all but crippled?

This is a fucking scary image for me but seems to be acceptable in the whole 'right to bare arms' kinda way
picture clicky

Look, in all honesty I view your country and their views on firearms much the same way as I view religion.
Trying to talk reason with zealots is pointless. You're all that wrapped up in an old world view of 'freedoms' and gun control that you can't see the place being shot up to shit.
I'm personally just glad there's a fuckload of ocean separating us.
I'm done here, I've had my say several times and am starting to feel like I'm trying to convert those pesky religious door knockers....

Shoot 'em up you bad ass mofo's!

S

Shock

Both sides of the argument are clearly rooted and unwavering. Just because the US has media coverage of these horrible crimes doesn't mean it isn't happening elsewhere. There are horrid crimes committed everyday across every nation. The world is not some fantasy land. Guns aren't the problem. People are the problem. If they don't use a gun they'll use another means. Just because you don't like our position it doesn't mean your position is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.