Guhl Ecu flash

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I like the idea of the reduced engine braking... mine does come on a little strong at times. thanks for the solid review man!

SCRAM

I also had my ecu flashed by guhl. I had posted about this previously, in fact, its my only other post on this forum because it was the only thing that changed my bike enough to take the time to post about. Not to repeat myself, but it will completely change the attitude of the bike. After the flash it feels like a sportbike not just an old man's commuter. To be honest when I originally got my bike I was disapointed, I couldnt believe that an 800cc bike could be so lazy. Guhl's fixed that problem and if its now $275 like bam bam said its by far the best mod u can do for the money. To bad that waypoint had all those issues with ecunleashed and paid $450 but I think even he would agree flashing your ecu makes a hugh difference in performance. Now I just have to fix the suspension to match the new acceleration :D

waypoint

mod squad
Thanks for the report back waypoint seems like they are doing the same thing as Guhls.Did the add any ignition timing Guhl added some between 5200-5800rpm and the bike really liked it he did it with the bike on the dyno and you could see the differance. As far as the ecu problem I have heard that alot on the zx10r.net site through ecu unleashed and dynatronics which are both owned by Piasini which is a company based in italy.If you use a juice box with a pre set map remember that your ecu is no longer stock fuel map so you cant use a canned map. Guhl has a 1 day turn around for $275.I am also trying to work out getting a Graves full system and then heading back out to Guhls and we will dyno it as it sits, then with the full system so we have accurate gains and he will create a fuel tune in the ecu for the full system. Everything I am finding the full system should pick up around 10 ftlbs at 5800 rpm.
i don't know the specifics of what they did. Here's a quote from one of the emails
"We work on each of the internal parameters of each ECU including, removing any factory restrictions (ignition and/or throttle), optimize fuel and ignition curves, deceleration maps, throttle maps, rev limit,and many more."
regarding the fuel maps, to me the fuel map they input feels lean... so even though it's not the same, i'm thinking one of the tamer stock maps will be a good place to start. i ordered a juice box pro yesterday so when it arrives i'll play around with it and let you know if any of it works. if i can't get it to where i'm happy, i'll take it to a dyno. but i've spent my mod budget of late ;)

I also had my ecu flashed by guhl. I had posted about this previously, in fact, its my only other post on this forum because it was the only thing that changed my bike enough to take the time to post about. Not to repeat myself, but it will completely change the attitude of the bike. After the flash it feels like a sportbike not just an old man's commuter. To be honest when I originally got my bike I was disapointed, I couldnt believe that an 800cc bike could be so lazy. Guhl's fixed that problem and if its now $275 like bam bam said its by far the best mod u can do for the money. To bad that waypoint had all those issues with ecunleashed and paid $450 but I think even he would agree flashing your ecu makes a hugh difference in performance. Now I just have to fix the suspension to match the new acceleration :D
Word! if they had gotten the fuel map right i would be ecstatic. but even though didn't, i'm still happy with what i got for my money.

Bam Bam

i don't know the specifics of what they did. Here's a quote from one of the emails
"We work on each of the internal parameters of each ECU including, removing any factory restrictions (ignition and/or throttle), optimize fuel and ignition curves, deceleration maps, throttle maps, rev limit,and many more."
regarding the fuel maps, to me the fuel map they input feels lean... so even though it's not the same, i'm thinking one of the tamer stock maps will be a good place to start. i ordered a juice box pro yesterday so when it arrives i'll play around with it and let you know if any of it works. if i can't get it to where i'm happy, i'll take it to a dyno. but i've spent my mod budget of late ;)

Word! if they had gotten the fuel map right i would be ecstatic. but even though didn't, i'm still happy with what i got for my money.

Hey as far as the Dyno most shops will give you a baseline run for $50

Bam Bam

Hey waypoint have you found your new top speed with the raised rev imiter. The weather has been less than ideal for me to explore the new top speed. Scram looks like your somewhere close to me so Im sure your experiencing the beating mother nature is giving us also.

SCRAM

Hey waypoint have you found your new top speed with the raised rev imiter. The weather has been less than ideal for me to explore the new top speed. Scram looks like your somewhere close to me so Im sure your experiencing the beating mother nature is giving us also.

lol. just got 4 inches of snow here so wont find out new top speed for a while. topped out at 139 with stock sprockets before guhl flash. as soon as i get some clean roads and sunshine i'll update, might have to wait till june at this rate:(

waypoint

mod squad

sorry to hear about the weather. i count my blessings everytime i head out to ride. hard to be SoCals weather for outdoor sports.

i have NOT found the new top speed... i didn't even know the stock top speed. i like to carve the canyons at a good clip but there's not many places around where i live that you could safely get up to the top speed.

that said, i'm doing a track day at willow springs big track on april 21st and i'll be able to wind her out there for sure.

also wanna say, i rode both saturday and sunday this last weekend and, now that i've really had some time with it and the new tires, i'm even happier with the flash now than before. feels like a beast now. it's a bit lean still but i just got my juice box so i can add a little fuel and get her mapped at a dyno when i get a chance.

hope your weather is on the mend :D

Bam Bam

sorry to hear about the weather. i count my blessings everytime i head out to ride. hard to be SoCals weather for outdoor sports.

i have NOT found the new top speed... i didn't even know the stock top speed. i like to carve the canyons at a good clip but there's not many places around where i live that you could safely get up to the top speed.

that said, i'm doing a track day at willow springs big track on april 21st and i'll be able to wind her out there for sure.

also wanna say, i rode both saturday and sunday this last weekend and, now that i've really had some time with it and the new tires, i'm even happier with the flash now than before. feels like a beast now. it's a bit lean still but i just got my juice box so i can add a little fuel and get her mapped at a dyno when i get a chance.

hope your weather is on the mend :D

Yes the couple rides I have had on it since the flash,it is a totally different bike.Very happy with the performance now.Keep us posted on how the track day goes.It also looks like the weather is starting to come around so I cant wait got both bikes all ready for the season.

dtbrown

Not to sound like a noob but I looked everywhere online and I couldn't find any info where the stock ECU is located. Can anyone chime in and tell me where it is?

thanks

Bam Bam

Not to sound like a noob but I looked everywhere online and I couldn't find any info where the stock ECU is located. Can anyone chime in and tell me where it is?

thanks

under the air box. The large red circle is the ecu it has 2 plugs. the small red circles are where the air box mounts after the lid is removed

Last edited:

chopstic

The Guhl website claims that their ecu flash gives you "customizable tuning capabilities". What does that mean? Will it allow me to upload my own fuel maps into the ecu if I want?

Bam Bam

The Guhl website claims that their ecu flash gives you "customizable tuning capabilities". What does that mean? Will it allow me to upload my own fuel maps into the ecu if I want?

no they can customize your ecu with the fuel maps with out the need for a piggyback system like a pcv or bazzaz

Bam Bam

Here are some links to videos of bikes don has done with Brocks performance and such.
2011 ZX10R Guhl Motors ECU Reflash.mp4 - YouTube
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YtxspZOitM&feature=player_detailpage]ZX-14R (2012) ECU 'Brock Flash 2' by Guhl Motors - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeIYpg_Q3is&feature=player_detailpage]2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6r 636 Dyno with Flashed ECU - YouTube[/ame]

G

GNoiZZ

Thought about getting my ECU flashed too....not sure if Guhl or ECU unleashed ( what is the difference between both) ...but on the other hand i bought the bike 2 months ago and have only 1600 miles on her ...and guess the warranty will be history after this mod :D but a bit more power would be nice :cool:

Last edited:

Bam Bam

Thought about getting my ECU flashed too....not sure if Guhl or ECU unleashed ( what is the difference between both) ...but on the other hand i bought the bike 2 months ago and have only 1600 miles on her ...and guess the warranty will be history after this mod :D but a bit more power would be nice :cool:

Guhl is a company that does it in house and has a one day turn around.They have a very good reputation on other forums They have flashed ecu's for both of my bikes.The started in the buisness with micro sprint cars which use the the same engines as our bikes so they know how to get power out of them.They are a small company located in eastern pa but they are known worldwide. Ecu unleashed is a middle man that sends the ecu to pasini a company based in italy.Therefore you have at least a week turn around.
Guhl flash $275
Ecu unleashed is $499
Pasini also owned the company dynatronics which i recomend doing some reserch on they where know for ruining ecu's and having terrible custumer service.

Bam Bam

on the warranty you might want to check because I know guhls has several bike shops around that offer the flash as an option with a new bike and guhl does not imprint the ecu just a sticker so there would be no way a dealer could tell the parameters and encoding was changed. Lets face it most dealer techs are real yoyo's

Jacek3743

So :deadhorse: here, if I go with the option of not modding my stock fuel map, can I still use a pcv to upload my own map? and someone mentioned that previous maps won't work because ECU is not stock...? What do you mean by that?