Guhl Ecu flash

MotoZen

Everyone says Guhl will reflash for free if you do get more mods..

I believe that flash tune will as well, but I'd have to mail it to them. I can just pull it out and drive to Guhl motors when I get an exhaust and k&n filter.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Bam Bam

never heard of flash tune on any forum I belong to. I would be hesitant to send my ecu to just any joe blow who thinks he knows what he is doing. Guhl is known worldwide.

NoNine4me

never heard of flash tune on any forum I belong to. I would be hesitant to send my ecu to just any joe blow who thinks he knows what he is doing. Guhl is known worldwide.
Agreed, I have used and trust Guhl completely. Not saying Flashtune or the others aren't reliable but Guhl's work is just stunning!

AndyS

Banned
Flash tunes site says that it's only $100 for a simple flash with a generic slip-on and $200 for a custom flash. Guhls price is $275 unless I'm missing something. I was wondering the same thing.

Guhl motors is only an hour from me so reflashes will be easy when I do mods. That may be a decision maker for me.

Right, that's what I meant. I read on the other forum that Flash tune will do it for $100 if I take it out and mail it. I only have a slip on.

NoNine4me

You get what you pay for. I don't know how long everyone has been around, but I've done a lot of building and tuning long before electronic ECU mods were available. Back then a guy could spend hundreds (and we still do) on just a slip-on, which are all the same (nothing more than a straight pipe with an attractive can wrapped around it). The power doesn't come from the slip-on, it comes from re-jetting the carbs. That's days of work, minimum, and several dyno runs to get right. So we used to have to throw the better part of a grand at a bike to get more power.

With the Guhls reflash I just had done, I got more power than a pipe, air filter, and jet kit could have gotten me, for a third the price. They got it right, my bike still appears bone stock, it's still quiet so the neighbors and cops don't hassle me, and it's FAST.

I can recommend Guhls, but it's like doing research on your own. What they are doing over there is something they had to figure out by doing tons of testing, and their file which is written into the ECU is their own little magical combination of mods. It is not like there is just a common ECU flash file and anyone can get hold of it and upload it, like a game cheat or something.

Bam Bam

When Guhl used my bike to create the fz8 flash he actually bought another fz8 ecu to use on my bike for testing so he did not screw my ecu up. this is not guhls main business he does a lot in the micro sprint car which use our engines so they know how to get everything out of them.

NoNine4me

When Guhl used my bike to create the fz8 flash he actually bought another fz8 ecu to use on my bike for testing so he did not screw my ecu up. this is not guhls main business he does a lot in the micro sprint car which use our engines so they know how to get everything out of them.
You were the "guinea pig" or lab rat here? Whatever the hell they figured out, is awesome. I am still flabbergasted at how much better my bike is.

Woody146

Banned
So would it be better for me to do my mods (exahust, air box, ais block off, and smog block off) before I reflash? I assume wait...but just want to be sure

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
So would it be better for me to do my mods (exahust, air box, ais block off, and smog block off) before I reflash? I assume wait...but just want to be sure

He can do a flash for anything or nothing..... He's UNLOCKING your ecu, not just "tuning" it.

If you upgrade parts, call him and if I'm not mistaken..... You pay shipping and he will "upgrade" your tune for free because you already bought from him.

At least that's how I remember the conversation going.....

MotoZen

He can do a flash for anything or nothing..... He's UNLOCKING your ecu, not just "tuning" it.

If you upgrade parts, call him and if I'm not mistaken..... You pay shipping and he will "upgrade" your tune for free because you already bought from him.

At least that's how I remember the conversation going.....

Banky is right. He will redo a flash for free if you make changes. I'm planning on getting mine done on a stock (performance-wise at least) bike. When I have more funds for exhaust and k&n filter I'll have him redo it. It's easy for me though, since I'm within driving distance.

Woody146

Banned
Thanks guys...yea..I'm on the other coast...I would only like to have my bike apart once so ill just mod out then ship it

DanS

Commuter

The air box needs to be removed to get to the ECU, I'm doing the air box mod and AIS elimination this weekend while I wait for my ECU to get back.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
The air box needs to be removed to get to the ECU, I'm doing the air box mod and AIS elimination this weekend while I wait for my ECU to get back.

Did you tell him you were going to do that? Or is he reflashing you for those mods?

DanS

Commuter
Did you tell him you were going to do that? Or is he reflashing you for those mods?
I haven't told them yet, I called before I sent it and he told me that someone would call back after they received it to discuss options and bike mods. I got the impression that he could flash for about any mods. You think I should hold off until I hear from them?

Woody146

Banned

That was pretty much my plan..except do the mods...then ship while bike is still apart so down time is to a minimum..

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
I haven't told them yet, I called before I sent it and he told me that someone would call back after they received it to discuss options and bike mods. I got the impression that he could flash for about any mods. You think I should hold off until I hear from them?

No, no you're good..... As long as they follow through or you get ansey and call him and tell him. Lol just make sure that it gets added to the flash BEFORE it's back in the mail or you'll have to wait for another week for him to flash it with your changes lol.

The cool thing about a reflash is that everyone forgets that "you're UNLOCKING the ecu" and THEN optimizing the tune for whatever mods if any.

The biggest gain here is the ignition timing that the ecu restrics is now gone.

When I had my PCV tuned, the Dyno tech showed me the spots that he couldn't tune. He said here's where I added fuel and smoothed out the "this and that" and it was all cool. I asked why he couldn't tune in almost HALF my rev range, and he said "the ecu is locked.... I can't do anything about it"

Anyways, your gonna love it. Mine is working really well. I really think my midrange is stronger with my flies in and the ignition timing being changed.

But I'm by far no expert at all of this.