Guhl Ecu flash

DanS

Commuter
I got my ECU back from Guhl Motors this afternoon :D
It's cold rainy and slick today so I only went a couple miles and didn't get past 2nd gear. But so far I'm impressed! It feels a lot different - a lot better! much smoother on and off the throttle. This bike has always felt a little erratic and jumpy to me in first and second gear, it feels smooth and powerful now. Hopefully some better weather tomorrow.

CBSD

ecu removal

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the ecu, once I have the air box out of the way? It's really packed in there and I cant figure how to remove the plastic bracket, or pull the unit from underneath. All instruction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the ecu, once I have the air box out of the way? It's really packed in there and I cant figure how to remove the plastic bracket, or pull the unit from underneath. All instruction would be appreciated.

Thanks

The black plastic rubber barrier thing can be re-zip tied on and the ecu gets unplugged and fandangled.......(yeah that's right :p) out of the plastic bracket.

Make sure your not outside in the cold and you won't break it lol

DanS

Commuter
I was able to put a few good miles on the flashed ECU today... And it was amazing! Doesn't even feel like the same bike anymore. Big thanks to Bam Bam for starting this thread and to the rest of you guys that have done this and shared your results! It does just what you all said it would do :)
Money well spent!!!

CBSD

Way easier, that way:) Only took me a few minutes. Thanks

The black plastic rubber barrier thing can be re-zip tied on and the ecu gets unplugged and fandangled.......(yeah that's right :p) out of the plastic bracket.

Make sure your not outside in the cold and you won't break it lol

DSmith

I was able to put a few good miles on the flashed ECU today... And it was amazing! Doesn't even feel like the same bike anymore. Big thanks to Bam Bam for starting this thread and to the rest of you guys that have done this and shared your results! It does just what you all said it would do :)
Money well spent!!!

I cant wait to get mine done. Everybody on here has good things to say about the flash

DSmith

Im gonna try to pop my ECU out tommorow if its not too damn freezing. My bikes in an unheated garage, should I wait till it warms up to avoid breaking any plastic bits?

Bam Bam

Im gonna try to pop my ECU out tommorow if its not too damn freezing. My bikes in an unheated garage, should I wait till it warms up to avoid breaking any plastic bits?

The heat is in the tools my friend just turn on some tunes and go to it.

Bam Bam

Dumb question.. Should you disconnect your battery before unplugging your ecu ?

Not a dumb question. Yes its always good practice to disconnect the negative terminal. This prevents the chance of a voltage spike that could damage sensitive electronic control modules.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
My first ride since my surgery, 3rd ride sice the flash, I've done some pulls on a straight stretch and my geez she PULLS, stretching my arms man damn.

DSmith

So did you get your ecu back and have a chance to try it out

I'm the worlds worst procrastinator I havent even taken the damn thing out yet. I brought my bike home from storage, now it lives outside under a cover. I did some easy stuff to her today. Levers, grips, mirrors. I wanna get the ecu out this week cause its supposed to be cold and crappy out for a week or so. I know once the good weather comes I wont wanna be bikeless at all. I'll definetly let you guys know when I do get it back.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Did some launches yesterday........ Lol

:D:D:D

LAYING on the handlebars still didn't keep the front down in 1st or 2nd......

NoNine4me

Did some launches yesterday........ Lol

:D:D:D

LAYING on the handlebars still didn't keep the front down in 1st or 2nd......
Rode mine Sunday. The front end will start to lift at 80 mph in 2nd. I don't like to wheelie, prefer both wheels on the ground, but she'll sure do it.

MotoZen

My trip to Guhl's was very interesting today. Don, the owner, got his start with dirt track racing and anything that put a motorcycle engine into another vehicle. He was telling me that they did extensive work to the zx10. They've flashed ECUs from all over the world. He also gets them from people that have had flashes from other shops that needed to be redone. I think it was China that has a law that all vehicles be limited to 105 mph top speed. He gets them from there all the time to fix them.
Kawasaki, the company itself (not a dealer, but Kawasaki) sent him a brand new ECU when they redesigned it a few years ago. He also has a client with a ZX14 who currently holds a land speed record.

He also didn't recommend blocking the AIS as long as you still have your cat installed. By blocking the added assure intake into the cat, it will run hotter than intended and eventually melt our fuse shut. It will slowly actually hurt your performance. Instead, you can reduce the popping of having an aftermarket slip-on by getting a proper fuel tune.

If anyone has any questions, I highly recommend you give him a call.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Bam Bam

My trip to Guhl's was very interesting today. Don, the owner, got his start with dirt track racing and anything that put a motorcycle engine into another vehicle. He was telling me that they did extensive work to the zx10. They've flashed ECUs from all over the world. He also gets them from people that have had flashes from other shops that needed to be redone. I think it was China that has a law that all vehicles be limited to 105 mph top speed. He gets them from there all the time to fix them.
Kawasaki, the company itself (not a dealer, but Kawasaki) sent him a brand new ECU when they redesigned it a few years ago. He also has a client with a ZX14 who currently holds a land speed record.

He also didn't recommend blocking the AIS as long as you still have your cat installed. By blocking the added assure intake into the cat, it will run hotter than intended and eventually melt our fuse shut. It will slowly actually hurt your performance. Instead, you can reduce the popping of having an aftermarket slip-on by getting a proper fuel tune.

If anyone has any questions, I highly recommend you give him a call.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

The cat is very easy to nock the guts out of. I recommend it as it also helps to unstuff the bike. But yes the ais adds clean oxygen to help the cat burn efficiently. And ye he is the man on the gen 4 zx10 mine put down 158 before the flash and 170 after the flash here is a pic of the graph and the Beast's

Darksabre

This thread has my attention... The one thing that I just can't stand about my FZ8 is the low gear/rpm jutter and throttle jerk. If what I'm reading is correct, this should help smooth out these issues by decreasing the engine breaking and smoothing out throttle response. Where do I sign up??