FZ1 rear shock

F

Fazed

I haven't done it yet, but my plan is to loosen the bolts while it is on the ground then jack it up in the middle and use a car jack stand or two to stabilise it. Remove shock, and do the reverse for installation.

I haven't done it yet, but my plan is to loosen the bolts while it is on the ground then jack it up in the middle and use a car jack stand or two to stabilise it. Remove shock, and do the reverse for installation.

How are you gonna jack it up in the middle? Isn't the exhaust in the way?

GarryM

I jacked mine from the exhaust while it was still on the side stand. You only need to jack it high enough to take the weight off the back wheel. It's an easy job, 30mins start to finish tops

Crazywb23

I put an 8 ft A-frame ladder over the tail, took 2 ratchet straps an a couple of towels and suspended the tail around the passenger rear sets. Just enough to get the weight off the rear swing-arm and take the tension off the bolts. Gvwr without rider is around 430lbs wet depending on your mods, and you only have to suspend less than half of that weight on the light side. The rafters in your garage will work too, my garage has firewall and drywall on the ceiling so not an option for me. Also you can get the lift and adapter from harbor freight for about 150$$ if that's an option.

The more difficult part for me will be when I do the fork conversion. I have a set of FZ1 forks I got for 100$ and I need to pull the forks on my bike and take them for a conversion and rebuild.

B

bren

So what's the verdict out of an 2006 r6 shock or a new fz1 shock?

B

bren

I bought a Gen II mono shock of a 2008 fz1 for 35$ off e-bay. I installed it last Friday, it was a plug and play part (same dimensions as OEM)...and went out yesterday for a 150 mile run. I noticed a huge difference immediately, so much stiffer and i could muscle through transitions at speed. I am 250+ lbs. and the OEM shock would wobble and pogo on me. I gave it some adjustments when we stopped and the better the ride got, The only down side is the spring cage is higher and you have to remove the left side panel (the one where the tail seat release is) to get to the spanner adjustment. I highly recommend this upgrade!!!! Next is the front fork rebuild, will let you know when done and try to post some pics.

Mate was this a used one off a 2008 fz1, or a brand new one for it?

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I have the fz1 shock,but with very little modding i think an 06 r6 rear will fit. More adjustment and they are 45 bucks all day long. For us 160 lbs guys i think thats a hell of a lot cheaper than the r1 with satan666 adapter. Havent ordered one yet. Prob will in the next month or so. But i want the factory pro velocity stacks first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats exactly what I am thinking. Im about 160 as well but I do wonder if the R6 spring rate is enough for the 8 even with my light self on it. I am having trouble finding a decent FZ1 shock for a fair price. So I might have to just give it a shot.

waypoint

mod squad
I found some FZ1 forks off a 2008, I just need to take out the internals and swap from FZ8 to FZ1 utilizing the FZ8 forks tubes and stanchions. I may take them down and have them set by a prof. after i get them swapped.

Crazywb23... I'm looking into putting FZ1 forks on my 8. Are you saying that FZ1 fork internals WILL fit into FZ8 fork tubes and stanchions? If this is the case, then changing out wheels, rotters etc is not necessary right? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for the reply.