FZ1 rear shock

Crazywb23

I bought a Gen II mono shock of a 2008 fz1 for 35$ off e-bay. I installed it last Friday, it was a plug and play part (same dimensions as OEM)...and went out yesterday for a 150 mile run. I noticed a huge difference immediately, so much stiffer and i could muscle through transitions at speed. I am 250+ lbs. and the OEM shock would wobble and pogo on me. I gave it some adjustments when we stopped and the better the ride got, The only down side is the spring cage is higher and you have to remove the left side panel (the one where the tail seat release is) to get to the spanner adjustment. I highly recommend this upgrade!!!! Next is the front fork rebuild, will let you know when done and try to post some pics.

Last edited:

lothodon

Super Moderator
does anyone have the specs on all the yamaha rear shocks? no fz1 shocks (reasonable) on ebay, but there are a ton of r1 and r6 rear shocks.

impostor1981

Have a look on thread R1 shock with satan666's adapter. It requires some mods tu undertray. I cant do it as I ve got ABS unit which is located in the place that mewdc cutting out. Dr.Doom described the mode I details in one of his posts ;-)

TeleRob

Thanks Crazy,
I had also thought of doing this because I heard the FZ1 stock was stiffer and I'm ~220. But the FZ1 folks are dumping theirs and going to the R1 shocks, however I understand the R1 shocks are sprung lighter. that's why I decided not to go on the R1 route, because I figured at my weight, I'd have to get it rebuilt anyway.

Did you have stock at full preload before?
Did you measure your sag before and after? and how do you have the preload set now.

Can you post what tools you use for the fork rebuild. I've never done it before, but I have some Racetech 1.0kg springs on order.

Crazywb23

Thanks Crazy,
I had also thought of doing this because I heard the FZ1 stock was stiffer and I'm ~220. But the FZ1 folks are dumping theirs and going to the R1 shocks, however I understand the R1 shocks are sprung lighter. that's why I decided not to go on the R1 route, because I figured at my weight, I'd have to get it rebuilt anyway.

Did you have stock at full preload before?
Did you measure your sag before and after? and how do you have the preload set now.

Can you post what tools you use for the fork rebuild. I've never done it before, but I have some Racetech 1.0kg springs on order.

The FZ1 shock has a longer stroke and a stiffer spring, preload and stiffness adjustment. The R1 shock has a lighter preload but more adjust-ability (dampen and rebound) and pressure with the gas canister.

I did have the stock @ 9/10 on the preload and still had 1.5" to 2" of sag.
Now 7/10, no more than 1" of sag. The biggest improvement I see is the line through the turn and my ability to accelerate into the next turn has improved by 100%. I had to RE-LEARN :eek5: how to ride my machine after 8mo...

I suggest going with the FZ1 shock, for me it was the solid choice considering my build and I never plan to take my bike to track day. As for the forks, its just a spring/damper unit swap. I found some FZ1 forks off a 2008, I just need to take out the internals and swap from FZ8 to FZ1 utilizing the FZ8 forks tubes and stanchions. I may take them down and have them set by a prof. after i get them swapped.
I suggest having them done if you have never done a fork rebuild. It is fairly complex... Hope this helps and happy SAFE riding

Last edited:

Crazywb23

does anyone have the specs on all the yamaha rear shocks? no fz1 shocks (reasonable) on ebay, but there are a ton of r1 and r6 rear shocks.

2004-2012 R1 suspension:
Suspension / Front 43mm inverted fork; fully adjustable, 4.7-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock w/piggyback reservoir; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel

2011-2012 FZ8 suspension
Suspension / Front 5.1-in travel
Suspension / Rear 5.1-in travel

2006-2012 GenII FZ1 suspension
Suspension / Front 43mm fork; fully adjustable, 5.1-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock; adjustable preload and rebound damping, 5.1-in travel

If you go with satan's R1 adapter he has worked out the math and angle so it will work on our bikes. Or get lucky on e-bay...
All this is to the best of my knowledge and research.
Yamaha - Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles, Boats, Outboards, WaveRunners, Generators - America's Most Diverse is where i get all my specs and parts catalogs. Hope this helps, and Happy SAFE riding........

GarryM

I fitted a brand new 2010 FZ1 shock to my bike mid last year and posted the results on this forum. I was then rubbished for choosing the FZ1 shock over an Ohlins etc but the FZ1 shock is such a massive improvement over the stock FZ8 shock and for the money invested you really cant go wrong.

Just having the ability to change the damping can really change how the bike feels. I dont have to remove the side panels to adjust the spring preload with my shock. Maybe the later FZ1 shocks are different to the earlier ones?

F

Fazed

Now 7/10, no more than 1" of sag. The biggest improvement I see is the line through the turn and my ability to accelerate into the next turn has improved by 100%.

If you don't mind, how much do you weigh?

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade the spring in the original shock, fz1 shock or an aftermarket shock.

Trooper

I am having a rear shock built for me with adjustable rebound, preload, and a floating piston for better consistency, but for the life of me I cant find any FZ1 internals anywhere :confused:. I know that alot of FZ1 guys are swapping to R6 or R1 forks, but where did all those forks go?:eb:

C

Camo

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade the spring in the original shock, fz1 shock or an aftermarket shock.

Mate, if you can afford the likes of ohlins, Penske etc, there probably isn't a better mod you can do as far as a very noticeable difference in bike performance.

But, if like me you're a heavy bastard on a budget, the FZ1 shock is a HUGE improvement for very little cost.

D

DJK1505

I have the fz1 shock,but with very little modding i think an 06 r6 rear will fit. More adjustment and they are 45 bucks all day long. For us 160 lbs guys i think thats a hell of a lot cheaper than the r1 with satan666 adapter. Havent ordered one yet. Prob will in the next month or so. But i want the factory pro velocity stacks first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazywb23

6'0" 250lbs, and with the FZ1 shock have no problem running the chicken strips clean off the tires...

Just curious how did everyone get the shock on? I was thinking of hanging it form my garage rafters but that makes me nervous. Any other ideas?