EXHAUST

rysyndrome

pics of it on the bike? so you bought the full yosh exhaust and had it painted satin black? or bought the yosh slip-on that color and had the stock header coated in what? appreciate it

rysyndrome

Sent the headers and slip-on to the paint shop for the ceramic coating. Was quite surprised to see how rusty the headers were near the engine. Probably something worth looking into once in a while. As my bike is only 1 year old, 20000km on it, always sleeps under a cover and I can't imagine how bad the headers would have been in 5 years at that rate. The ceramic coating will certainly help with the rust management...should receive the parts next week, can't wait to see it all installed on the bike.

nevermind on my previous post, though would still like to see pics of the setup on the bike. so $350 + cost of slip-on for this setup? what color was the slip-on before? looks really good

Speedo007

Started out like this: Stock headers with Yoshi stainless slip-on with the intention of making it black later as personally I'm just not a huge fan of the carbon fiber look.

Just had the stock headers and slip-on ceramic coated for 350$. I'll take pictures once it's installed this week but it should look like this:

Last edited:

Speedo007

I like how it looks too (though not a fan of the carbon fiber) like how small and low it is. Only thing is here I could probably collect a ticket a week with a slip-on like that, cause first it would be very loud and second it looks like a race exhaust so police would know right away that it's aftermarket. My yoshi in black will look quite stock :)

Speedo007

Yeah I'm considering moving in a country where theres no speed limit and no winter :p As for the sound in the video it's hard to really know what it sounds like we only hear the engine begging him to stop the abuse...

matt73

Hi Speedo,
The headers look very cool. Stick with the gold forks too. Anyone tried using heat proof paint on the headers just as a cheaper option?

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Hi Speedo,
The headers look very cool. Stick with the gold forks too. Anyone tried using heat proof paint on the headers just as a cheaper option?

I used hi temp paint on the headers of my first bike (92 Honda CB750). It faded away, but still looked better than rust colored ones.

Speedo007

Just the headers would cost you under 200$ for professionally done ceramic coating. Considering it prevents rusts, is very resistant to rocks and stuff, I'd go that route. Otherwise it might work with just hi temp paint, but if it doesnt you'll have to take em off again, get then sandblasted to remove paint properly (many places simply can't be sanded by hand). And that's without mentioning everytime you remove the headers you should change the gaskets. So if you're on a budget you may just want to save up a bit and have it done right from the start, it will look better and last longer. I'd put high temp paint on an old bike project for sure, but not on a new bike.

And seriously when you go pick up your headers at the paint shop, you'll be thrilled you spent a little more, really looks like it should have coming out of the factory instead of the ugly welding we see on the stock ones.

Last edited:

Speedo007

So here we go at the bike shop. I'll take better pictures when I get it outside but raining today and water on the ceramic coated headers is the last thing you want until they are cured...Thursday should be my first official ride of the season! Really like how the headers look compared to the spotted headers :)

And here's one without the belly pan so you see the headers properly

Here's a view of my headers with the ceramic coating in studio setup:

And here's an installation tip. The paint shop will give you back your parts wrapped in some thin foam, just unwrap the areas you need to access for installation, then once you're done you remove the rest (to avoid any scratches). Then once your done you use a soft rag with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol 70% USP that you find in drugstores) once your sure it's all clean. Then instructions from my paint guy are as follow: you start up the bike as usual and let it warm up like you would for any ride. Then you go ride it for 20-30 minutes normally avoiding as much as possible heavy traffic as you want the curing process to be done gradually without reaching excessive temperatures during the process. Once that's done you stop the bike let it cool down, and you're done, now it's cured and stable and should be very resistant to water, heat, sand, whatever gets thrown at it. The most important part is to avoid leaving greasy fingertips on the parts before curing the ceramic and avoiding water coming in contact with the coating during curing as it will most likely leave spots or worse.

Last edited:

Speedo007

Thanks :) Tempting...tempting...maybe next Spring when I get bored again hehe It would look good for sure...

Last edited:

mikefz8

Thanks :) Tempting...tempting...maybe next Spring when I get bored again hehe It would look good for sure...

Personally, I think black forks are too much. I have an all black fz8 minus the stock forks which are still gold. I would prefer another color. I am looking at painting mine as well, but I would not go with all black. Maybe it would look differently in person though. Just my 2c, sweet bike though and i like the stand you have mounted on your bike. Where did you get it?