Corbin Seat Install

hypo

YES! Got the fedex notification today. Seat is due back in my hands on or before January 31st. by the timing of it, I'm guessing they had to rebuild the entire freakin thing. :)

teemo

While we're on the topic of seats.. does Corbin or another brand sell a seat that is narrower in the crotch area? If anyone has sat on late model CBR600RR they'd know what I'm talking about. :)

hypo

RMA COMPLETED!!

Correctly I might add. :)

here's side shots of the difference between the overlap on the sides. Bikes kinda dirty but I'll pull it out and take pictures in a bit.

hypo

first ride into work this morning on the Corbin seat. My butt started tingling about 20 minutes into the ride. its definitely HARD, and it definitely has a position it wants you to sit in. about the end of the ride, maybe 35 minutes in, I could definitely sense that the seat was molding to my butt, and the tingles were gone. Just like my Mustang seat on my cruiser, definitely feeling good about this.

I'm going to have to adjust the rear brackets as I've noticed a little give in the front tongue... the rear brackets are keyholed, so you can adjust them back and forth, but the keyhole has the narrow side going towards the front, which I think should be reversed, so you can wedge the seat further forward, and then tighten the bolts down instead of needing a washer to keep the nut from popping out of the big round keyhole. my 2 cents.

C

Camo

Looks great Hypo. It looks like the corbin has a sharper angle at the back of the seat and a flat spot closer to the tank?
I find the stock seat lends itself to you sitting as close to the tank as possible, the corbin do the same or?

C

calscrazy

looks like there is a dip about midway compared to stock. i like corbin seats so i will be getting one of these.

BeachinFZ8

Hypo -

I think they still have your rear brackets installed upside down. When I put my Corbin on like yours and the rear sat up I could see a gap into the battery compartment from the rear. I turned the brackets over and now the seat covers the frame rails evenly from front to rear and lines up better with the tank top to bottom.

I don't have a photobucket account - can someone give me some instructions on the easiest way to get a photo up on this thing and I'll put up some version "b" shots.

BTW. My corbin is forming to me nicely. I have a 1,000 miles on it and it's much better than new. Still has some vibration to it that I need to work on. Been to busy to have a real go at fine tuning it.

Scatt-Man

Imageshack is good if you don't want to make an account.

I'm considering grabbing the set of Corbins, but all of these horror stories are really putting me off. I guess it'll all depend on how comfortable the stock seat will be when I finally buy the bike in July.

BeachinFZ8

Thanks Scatt-Man!

Here's the Corbin sitting on my dirty FZ8.

I do like the seat, no sliding towards the tank on hard braking and it does get more comfy as you break it in. BUT you have to sit in the "bowl" all the way back - your butt up against the rear seat. It's where you should be on the bike unless possibly your shorter than 5'9" maybe. I'm 6'0" and 200 lbs. and the position is perfect.

Downsides - not for high performance riding where you'll want to shift side to side. Don't spend lots of time forward on the seat or that center ridge will damage your package!

Shot at 2012-02-05

Shot at 2012-02-05

H

Hoover

Let me throw this out, passenger seat aside, do you find it that uncomfortable? I spent many hours in the saddle this year and didn't feel it that bad that I needed to change it. I bought my covers for looks not extra comfort.
That bieng said, a rear seat from Corbin will be in my garage by spring for when my better half wants to go rididng.

hypo

the stock seat was ok, and I guess after 7000miles its starting to "break in" maybe??? but it definitely had HOT SPOTS or sharp pressure points in it, that grinded on bone after 30 minutes or so.

Speedo007

Yeah it can vary a lot depending on your weight and length of legs and arms as it changes the angle at which your sitting. Personally I can ride 700km a day on it as long as I stop 15 minutes to eat and fill up every 200km. Sure I'm freakin exhausted at the end of the day, but not really cause of the seat.

lothodon

Super Moderator
I'm back fellow fz8'ers. Spring feels like it's right around the corner so I've come out of hiding so to speak.

I've been following this since the beginning and just fired off an email to Corbin asking if they've got the fitment issues totally resolved yet. Will report back when I get a reply.

As for anyone interested in the sitting position and "feel" I can tell you this. At 6'4" on my R1 the Corbin seat forced be to sit back from the tank and not mash my jewels on the hump/tank. It is NOT a soft seat, but with the much increased contact area it is far more comfy on longer rides do to the lack of smaller pressure points.

Also. When I decided to get the FZ8 I started selling off the mods from my R1. I decided to sell the Corbin seat UNTIL I put the stock seat back on and went down the road. I got no more than 500 yards and was back in the garage. There was NO WAY I could return to the stock seat.

I ended up keeping the seat on until I sold the bike, and then sold the bike with the seat, since I continued to ride until I sold it. That says a lot for me.

hypo

exactly. Lothodon, I sent a LINK to this forum post to Corbin so they have all the info, and they got it right for me. I"m riding on it now.

mano1192

so are they fixing new ones they make? Ill be dammed if i have to ghetto rigg something i bought brand new, nope getting returned. I ride year round (sorry gents up north) and would buy this in a heartbeat, but not until they are a 2 second install.

hypo

basically, it sounds like all the front tabs are placed in buckets depending on the bike, and someone grabbed the wrong front tab for mine and slapped it on there. An accident. human error. The picture on their page shows the narrow tab, so they KNOW whats supposed to go in there, someone just made a mistake. no worries. Its a solid piece of work.

hypo

Those rear tabs are installed upside down - just like mine were!!

Turn them over and the seat will drop down correct and match angles up front with the tank.

Your bolts for the rear will be a 1/4 inch too long with the Corbin - get a stack of washers until you can get shorter bolts.

because I am hard-headed and forgetful I left them on that way and just flipped them back over this weekend to the proper setup. SHEESH, that 1/2 inch REALLY makes a big difference. no more sliding into the tank and no more "flex" feeling if I rock back and forth. I still think the keyholes should go the other way or they should send the seats with some 1/8 inch spacers since the round hole part of the keyhole lines up perfectly with the bolts now. :/ gonna look around for some specialty washers or something.

jumb5150

Just wondering if the corbin seats prevent my crotch from banging into the tank like im trying to get my bike pregnant

mckshred

Shad Seats

Anyone do a SHAD Seat?
Comfort Seats - Shad - Freedom to move

I am going to contact the nearest distributor (about 90 miles from me) and see if they have any samples I can check out. Tough with buying a new seat, you never know exactly what you are going to get until it's built and on your bike.

Update: 2/23: The dealer says they contacted SHAD and the price is $399 for front and rear. They don't need my original seat backs either. Said it would take 10 days to get in stock. I asked if they could provide some sample for me to examine before I plop down $425 (w tax). So I'll post another update once I see a Shad seat of some kind.

Last edited: