Corbin Seat Install

hypo

So the Corbin seat doesn't exactly fit straight from the factory... but here's some pictures of what I pulled out of the box in a side by side comparison:

The stocker rear tabs fit perfectly, the metal Corbin tabs are fully extended and don't quite line up.

The front tab looks kinda wide, and does NOT reach down to that metal hook/tab that the stocker fits into... much thicker metal, probably not easy to put a z bend into, but thats what it needs... it needs to go down 90 degrees, then forward 90 degrees, about a quarter inch kick, which is impossible with that thick of a metal.

Last edited:

BeachinFZ8

Those rear tabs are installed upside down - just like mine were!!

Turn them over and the seat will drop down correct and match angles up front with the tank.

Thanks for doing a proper job of photographing this seat before having to start smacking it around to get the fit right.

Your bolts for the rear will be a 1/4 inch too long with the Corbin - get a stack of washers until you can get shorter bolts.

Last edited:

hypo

I'm pulling out the 1/4 - 1/2 inch washer piece from the stockers....

/negative

I'm going to the store and getting an M6 .5 inch bolt so that it fits into that nut properly. leaving the stock set all together properly.

Last edited:

hypo

So the front tab on the stocker is 1.25" wide. which is exactly how wide the lip on the reciever is.

Corbin's is 1.5"... but it might be a bit of extra leather.

Last edited:

hypo

HA!

so I left the pieces as they were (didn't flip them upside down) but like was discovered earlier, you can't fit the front tab under the lip... so I insert the BACK END first, slide it deep back, but the tab (2) settles ON TOP of the "latch" piece... not under it.

I may take some vise grips to the tab piece and try to make it fit under the hook/lip...

and there's a DEFINITE GAP between the front lip and the tank.

HERE ARE THE MEASUREMENTS... that is some THICK metal on that tab people. it DOESN'T BEND or WEDGE very easily:

Last edited:

BeachinFZ8

Excellent job photo-documenting Corbin's issues with the fit of the seat! I really should have done the same when I received mine, but was pissed off and on a mission, so I just fixed it and went riding. I still need to have another go at it and do something to resolve the vibration problem, probably some "D" shaped rubber weather stripping or such down the frame rails to de-buzz the thing.

C

Camo

Thanks for all that info guys. Guess I'm not rushing out to buy one of these with my Xmas money just yet...

H

Hoover

Did you buy both seats? I only want the rear one to switch out when my wife goes with me.

I will be brutally honest, the quality of the seat is shoddy, cheap looking and amateurish.

I think Corbin rushed it into production.

hypo

Just bought the front seat.

I like the quality of the look. I have read on LOTS of sites and their own, that Corbin makes their "fittings" onto the frame very freaking tight. I still think they missed it on this one... the tab is too wide and doesn't dip low enough. But once it fits, I think it will be just fine... but yeah, maybe they rushed it.

Speedo007

Hope one of you guys sent this forum link to Corbin...I'm sure they'd be happy to know about it so they can address it for future customers. That said, they should have tested it more before sending these out. At the price these are selling, I'd expect nothing short of an easy and perfect fit. Shouldn't have to make mods to squeeze it in there.

hypo

Hope one of you guys sent this forum link to Corbin...I'm sure they'd be happy to know about it so they can address it for future customers. That said, they should have tested it more before sending these out. At the price these are selling, I'd expect nothing short of an easy and perfect fit. Shouldn't have to make mods to squeeze it in there.

Since I ordered it, I sent the link to them and noted the order information so they could track it better, but hopefully will be getting an email sometime this week.

hypo

ah HA

Spoke to Sergio at Corbin... he told me to look at this picture from their SITE:

and it shows that the tongue is only an inch wide. whoever put that seat together put the wrong tongue on there!!!

Getting it RMA'd.

FEDEX picked it up at my house today 12/28/2011.

Last edited:

BeachinFZ8

Sergio was my account guy at Corbin also. He was super helpful all through the ordering and shipping. Then I went to Jennifer in customer service when I called about the fit problems, she was great also. They did seem more than willing to make things right, I was less than patient in wanting my seat.

Hopefully they expedite your seat back through for the new tab and you're sitting on it soon!

mano1192

Great thread, let us know how the new one fits. Im in the market for one also. I actually would like both seats as my wife has been complaining about a sore ass :)

hypo

I'll look at what I took so far when I was TRYING to make it fit and post it if I got it... I just never got it all the way on there.

Speedo007

Cool thanks. I am considering the option to replace the main seat, even though I can manage 750km in a day on the stock seat, there's always room for improvement...

H

Hoover

I would like to see the passenger seat also. It looks like the angle of the seat will stop my wife from sliding into me.

mckshred

Awesome information guys

great thread guys - information is much appreciated. I haven't pulled the trigger on a new seat yet (and I thought I had run out of parts to upgrade) but when I do, this thread will help for sure.