Corbin Seat Install

hypo

Just wondering if the corbin seats prevent my crotch from banging into the tank like im trying to get my bike pregnant

depends on if you are a GAS/BRAKE/GAS/BRAKE kinda guy... The Corbin sets your butt back towards the rear side and I don't slide up all the way to the tank. (I'm kinda average height, 5'8"). I do slide a little bit, but all that does is make my pants get short on my legs.

I never bang on the tank singin "nickel - dime - quarter - BUCK"

(old childhood joke)

lothodon

Super Moderator
well i was shocked today by a visit from ups. my corbin is here and all i can say is bleh. i am NOT impressed at all.

the fit is terrible at the tank and i too had to adjust the tabs. rammed all the way forward the seat touches the passenger seat and the corbin logo is so not level it looks like crap.

go me.

lothodon

Super Moderator
3 issues... fit at the tank, corbin logo, and fit at the passenger seat...

Last edited:

Speedo007

Logo positioning isnt great for sure, and I guess the seat isnt ment to be used with the stock rear seat, looks like a weird combination, I'd probably buy both seats if I did upgrade but I think I'll hold on to my money for now.

Thanks for the post!

lothodon

Super Moderator
for what it cost i'm terribly disappointed. i know a "fix" that should work for the fit but that logo really upsets me. i think i'll have to remove the leather from the top of the front tab (or bend it) to allow the seat to slide forward more.

thing is, for $300 it should fit perfect. i work with high end products for picky customers and i'd have never let anything like that go with my name on it.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i want the seat, but i think i should get the seat i want (if that makes sense). i've emailed corbin of course.

hypo

yeah that logo looks awful. :( I had to move the brackets and flip them over so that they fit right...

Last edited:

Speedo007

You'd think after reading this forum they would have sent you a top notch seat...I guess they don't have an FZ8 available for them to double check that everything fits as it should and they are taking some guesses based on customer feedback...for the logo, really no excuse looks clumsy. I remember the optionnal gel seat on my Speed Triple from Triumph was like 250$...and it was a hell of a great seat and quality finish was 2nd to none. At 300$, I'd expect the front seat to have a very high quality finish.

SpunkyTheTuna

I come from the Harley world and in that world Corbin has a very mixed reputation. The consensus is that if you're near Gilroy and can get into the factory to have them get it right, getting a quality seat that fits is a real crapshoot. Your experience seems consistent with that.

H

Hoover

Pisser. It appears they are doing what a lot of companies are doing right now.
Pushing out sub-standard crap, just to sell a couple of quids worth of gear. Relying on their "good name" to move products.

God knows we have been following their build on here for a while, if they cared, you would think they would have paid attention.

I was planning on ordering the rear seat for my wife as it has a much flatter platform and would appear to prevent the slide that our passengers are getting.

I think I may just buy a factory seat and have a local shop craft me up a replacement.

Corbin, you blew this one....

Scott H

After reading all this I think I'll wait for Mustang to maybe come out with something for the 8. That is one of the first things I changed on my V-Star. Mustang makes a great product.

Speedo007

Mustang don't make it for the FZ1 of any year...so I wouldnt wait for the FZ8. They seem to be more focused on harleys and other cruisers...I think having a local shop redo the stock seat is probably the best option out there for now.

mano1192

Wow that seat looks like a piece of shit and for $300, WTF Id be pissed!! I dont give a shit what I buy, I always buy top quality, Rizoma etc. I was really stoked to get this seat, but 1 it looks like shit, 2 it s fucking hack job, and 3 the company has shitty customer service and will not address their ongoing issues. Yea good luck there Corbin, I wont be buying your shit ass product any time soon.

JTB

Pillion
I am not going to sit here and say corbin is good anymore. I used to back them 100%, that is until I got one of their newer products for christmas in 2010 for my FZ6. Honestly, the seat is okay. Out of 10 I give it a 6 for build and probably a 6 for comfort and a 3 for price for what you get. My leather on the seat looks like it is cracking, and I tried contacting corbin and never got a response at all. Like almost all good companies they are trying to make too many products and have lost the service aspect.

On a side note, how do people find the top saddlery seats for the 8? I know for the 6 they were pretty good. If they suck a custom it is.

lothodon

Super Moderator
Well two emails (haven't resort to calling...yet) and no replies. I was able to FORCE the seat forward and it's now tightER to the tank, not tight though. Had to completely remove the rear mounts to get it to sit right...of course, I can't actually use it like that as it would fall off but it's at least a little closer.

Speedo007

And then we wonder why we lose jobs to the Chinese. They provide equal or better quality (on some stuff) at half the price...sad to see some companies have lost the pride that once was...

I ordered a remote control for my Canon 5DII off ebay, shipped from HongKong (free) it cost me a big total of 2.99$...and battery is included in the remote, I think just the battery here would cost me 5$. If I bought the Canon remote I would have paid about 40$ before shipping...

And thing is before when you paid the price you got quality...I bought an Apple Cinema Display once for about 1300$ and it lasted a year and a month...and of course warranty was 1 year...so now I often just prefer paying less, it hurts less to replace when it breaks.