Windscreens for long trips

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I have the Yamaha Fly screen on my bike( good to keep bugs off but not a good wind deflector. I have seen the GIVI screen and do not like the looks of it and if a screen is used it might as well be a little bigger. I hate wind screens on a naked bike , but since i have saddlebags for some longer trips i was thinking of getting a screen to keep the longer trips a little less fatigueing on neck ECT. Here are some i think will be very effective in blocking/redirecting wind and only 2 bolts to remove ,so easy to take off for everyday riding.
The first one is the speedscreen, the second pic is speedscreen with adjustable deflector( would be the best for air deflection), the third pic is the racescreen, all made by MRA....

C

Camo

I'm not a fan of these type of things as I don't feel I gain any significant gain in wind protection...That said, I'm 6 foot 4 so staying out of the wind on a faired bike is no easy feat either lol.
I think if I planned on doing big trips, I'd be looking at pricing up something that was built to chew the miles in comfort...Maybe like the FJR1300, the newish Honda VFR1200 or even grabbing a cheap Blackbird CBR1100xx. All three can be fun on the twisty's as well as the open road

I love our bike in the Yamaha blue by the way! Those pics just reminded me...

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I also love a naked bike look. An FJR would be my choise for more touring miles for sure.. On the other hand the FZ8 is a fairly comfy(ergo wise) day trip bike, so instead of haveing 2 bikes i think making the FZ8 A little more comfy on these hiway trips ,and be able to strip the touring stuff(bags/ windscreen) off for daily driving and blasting thru the twisty roads here ,seems to be a great compromise.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
The Diavel mounting kit is an mra.hksd. The one the page says we need is an mra.hksg. I've no idea what the difference is. I emailed Twisted Throttle for clarification.

Your right for the racescreen it looks like you need the straight stems, for the speedscreen it looks like you need the bent stems like the Diavel ones. Let me know what they say please.There is a pic of the bent ones mra.hksd, but no picture for the hksg mount kit. I ordered the hksd(bent ones and both shields, to see wich is better), so at least i will be able to try the speedscreen first, looks like i need just the straight stems for the racescreen. I thing the mra.hk kit with the straight arms will work with the triple tree mounts of the hksd so i will get them and let you know if that works, it should.

Racescreen...

Speedscreen...

Last edited:

lyric911

My email to them:

MRA RacingScreen (style "RNB") windshield for naked sport bikes, cruisers, enduro and dual sport motorcycles - MRA.RNB : TwistedThrottle.com

This screen shows that my bike requires mounting kit MRA.HKSG. I don\'t see this mounting kit listed in the drop down. When will it be available?

Their reply:

If you would like we can order one for you, it will however have a 5-6 week wait before we get it here.

Thanks
- Greg G.

BW - please keep us up to date when you get yours in. Pretty sure this thing will be my next purchase.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Thanks lyric, i talked with Jen at twisted throttle today, she said the same ,May 4th they will be getting some mount kits for the Racescreen. I will let you know when my screens and mount kits get here and report if my idea of the combination of kits will allow for the racescreen to be mounted.

JRunner

Same deal here... i have my order in since march ... they messed up ordering the wrong mount and then when I told them they had it wrong, with the manufacturers email saying so, they said we'll have to order the correct one and wait another 4-6 weeks. So I assumed they ordered the replacement mount and come to find out 2 weeks later that they were waiting for me to call in that order! ... I was like what?!... why didn't you just order the replacement on the spot of knowing the wrong one was ordered originally? So that delayed the replacement mount from being ordered the 2nd time around by another 2 weeks. Hopefully in another week I will have it. I ordered the 3rd one above with HKSG mount.

Last edited:

FZER

Avid Rider
Yep GIVI here too. The looks grow on ya. It's a give or take thing really. Our bikes do look better plain stock up front, but oh my god the bugs.:rolleyes:

Last edited: