Which Rear shock? Used FZ1 or new Ohlins?

cambo

Avid Rider
Ahh...Camo...it seems I ended up needing the farkles.

I ordered the Ohlins this afternoon because SportbikeTrackGear.com discounted it almost 100 bucks...from $650 to $560 w/free shipping. (Nick's the guy to speak to if you're interested) I know it's overkill right now...but I guess it's there if I ever get to the level to take advantage of it.

Anyway, the Fz1 shock JUST came in this afternoon and I've got it up for sale in the parts for sale section if anyone is interested.

Thanks again to everyone for the inputs, I really really appreciated it!

C

Camo

Now you'll need a power commander, headers, forged race wheels and an engine bolt kit... Just to balance out the ohlins rear end ;)

cambo

Avid Rider
Just to bring this thread full circle and close it out. The ohlins rear shock finally arrived (after over a month since ordering from Sportbiketrackgear) and I was able to throw it on using Jumb's instructional (thanks Jumb) a couple days ago. Installation was a breeze and the bike is a WORLD if different now. Weather finally warmed up a bit and I was able to take it for a decently long ride today. The bike is way more firm. Feels much, much better under my 230lb fat ass. Took all sorts of bumps, cracks, speed bumps....and none of the bottoming out occured.

Paired with the stiffer race tech springs up front, I think I'm set as far as suspension goes.

Suspension: Check.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Jwood9

I am wanting to do the ohlins mono shock as well. The only question i have is if i only do the rear shock could this cause harm to my forks? I might end up doing them down the road with ohlins springs or valves but is it OK to install the ohlins shock with no fork modification?

dtbrown

I found out that the new 2013 fz8 adjustable shock can be ordered soon from yamaha for about $380. I think for the price I'll be doing this option. I don't need a racing shock just something a little stiffer for my weight.

Jwood9

Does anyone know if i would be ok to upgrade the rear shock without doing my forks yet? Im about to bite the bullet and get this ohlins monoshock but i dont want to if it will cause harm to my forks or leave a gap in the suspension...

Hellgate

Does anyone know if i would be ok to upgrade the rear shock without doing my forks yet? Im about to bite the bullet and get this ohlins monoshock but i dont want to if it will cause harm to my forks or leave a gap in the suspension...

They are two different systems, the forks can't be harmed.

Now once you put a decent shock on the back it will become very clear how bad the forks are.

For a inexpensive and easy fork fix it is hard to beat Race Tech springs and valve kit. RT - Digital Product Search

Jwood9

I just ordered the ohlins lite myself... Is there a how to on rear shock install? I can't find it if so

97audia4

This thread has confused me more than answered any of the questions. I think I'm going to go with an r1 shock and Satan's adapter and see how it goes. I

cambo

Avid Rider
I just ordered the ohlins lite myself... Is there a how to on rear shock install? I can't find it if so

Jwood, it's mad easy to install it. When you say ohlins 'lite' is that the same thing as the monoshock? Anyway, I'll make a video on how to do it tomorrow. I won't unbolt everything but I'll point out what you'd be unbolting, etc etc.

Jwood9

Yes the mono shock I had just seen it referred to as the lite model. Thanks for the help very appreciated !

Tiffy

Hey guys, does anyone know if I can get a rear shock shipped by air to AUS or would it be restricted due to the gas fill - (very very expensive here compared to UK and US).:oz::oz::oz: oi oi oi

cambo

Avid Rider
Yes the mono shock I had just seen it referred to as the lite model. Thanks for the help very appreciated !

Jwood, I made a video. But I'm not happy with it. A lot of "ums, uhs..and whatchamacallits" in my presentation. I'm going to re-do it so as to not sound like so much of an idiot. hahaha

97audia4

haha, audi, what were your questions?

Basically I'm not ready to pony up the dough for the ohlins shock if I can get the same results with the r1 shock. I'm a bigger guy at around 225 and often ride with my gf who is a mere 117. I can get an 09 shock for 75 and adapter for 100 and then spring for my weight just seems to make more sense.

cambo

Avid Rider
Basically I'm not ready to pony up the dough for the ohlins shock if I can get the same results with the r1 shock. I'm a bigger guy at around 225 and often ride with my gf who is a mere 117. I can get an 09 shock for 75 and adapter for 100 and then spring for my weight just seems to make more sense.

Audi,

Here's what Satan666 told me when I was interested in going the r1 shock route:
"Yes, any R1 shock from '04-'08 works with the V3 adapter. The '07-'08 has a slightly stronger spring for riders in the 180-220# range."

So with that said, you may want to doublecheck (if you haven't already) that the '09 shock will work with his adapter. He also may very well have cut the range off at 08 as I specifically had an '08 shock on hand however...

Back to your comment...I agree dude...the R1 shock will serve you well but you may need a stiffer spring (based on satan's info above). Racetech's website has a search app that tells you the spring rate of the stock spring and the spring rate you'd want for your weight. By doing a quick search for an 09 r1: The stock spring rate for an 09 r1 rear shock (assuming an 225lb rider) is 10kg/mm and the recommended spring rate is 13.75kg/mm (for streetriding...numbers might be different for racing, you can check). What does that mean? I have no clue, but for my caveman brain, that means the stock spring isn't stiff enough so I'd have to order a stiffer spring which is about $120 bucks off of racetech (sometimes you can find it cheaper on amazon...I did, just searched the exact part number). So now for your R1 shock, you're looking at $80 (for the stock shock/housing) + $75 (for the satan adapter) + ~100 (for the correct spring) + labor to put the spring together if you don't know how to do it yourself = $255+. EDIT: I just saw you already touched on this in your comment so this entire paragraph is redundant lol.

I've actually purchased all three types of shocks lol: the fz1, the r1, and the ohlins:

The ohlins mono shock is by far the most expensive, running me about $550, but it's rebuildable, comes with a spring based on your inputted rider weight, and installation was a breeze: a simple swap. Plus, there's a bit of bling factor...not that I care. But some do.

The fz1 shock ran me about 100 bucks and that too would've been a simple swap. I didn't get to try it out but based on the other guys' reviews, the spring would've been sufficient for my rider weight (there were a couple guys on here that weighed upwards of 240lbs and said the fz1 shock was more than ample...and they purportedly rode pretty damn hard as well), but the shock itself was not rebuildable- meaning once the shock is done, it's done. You'd need to replace it. The only (stupid) reason I sold it was because I spontaneously ordered the Ohlins and didn't need both. In hindsight, I would've skipped on the ohlins and just kept the fz1 shock. That 400 bucks saved could've been my g'damn power commander V! But I digress...

The r1 shock ran me about 80 bucks, but the adapter was 75, and the installation was more involved as you have to cut out a piece of the bike so the adapter will mount/fit. So I converted time and confusion to currency...which totaled more than 550 bucks to me lol. Not sure if it's rebuildable or not but a bunch of guys have the R1 shock and love it.

If I were you, I would definitley look towards an fz1 shock if you can find one. It sounds like you're just looking for something that can handle your weight better.

Anyway, bro, I really hope this is helpful and doesn't add to your questions. I actually got lost in typing this and realized I am rambling quite a bit lol. But, I hope I was able to clear up at least SOME stuff for you.

And ALL of this knowledge comes from the awesome folks on here. Because I had the exact same questions you did.

Last edited:

slowkey

guess I'll throw in my 2 cents.

This winter I just upgraded the spring(to 11.6kg/mm) on the stock shock. I have noticed a considerable difference. All in about $140cdn that was the cost of the spring and to have a shop swap the spring once I took the shock off of the bike.

Is this a permanent fix? probably not but should last me a couple of season before I get the urge to waste money on a Ohlin

Jwood9

Thanks much for all your help Cambo. And i know i will be fine doing the install im just curious as to how one balances the bike. I have vortex rearsets installed so i will put two jack stands under the pegs but will the front naturally stay down so i can work the rear end and move the swing arm?

I think getting the shock in and out wont be bad i just want to make sure i have a very sturdy rig for the bike before i drop the shock out.

Thanks again you guys are great...