Which Rear shock? Used FZ1 or new Ohlins?

cambo

Avid Rider
Thanks much for all your help Cambo. And i know i will be fine doing the install im just curious as to how one balances the bike. I have vortex rearsets installed so i will put two jack stands under the pegs but will the front naturally stay down so i can work the rear end and move the swing arm?

I think getting the shock in and out wont be bad i just want to make sure i have a very sturdy rig for the bike before i drop the shock out.

Thanks again you guys are great...

hmmm...that might work, if you've got a buddy, perhaps they can weigh the front down too. haha, here's what I did:

97audia4

Audi,

Here's what Satan666 told me when I was interested in going the r1 shock route:
"Yes, any R1 shock from '04-'08 works with the V3 adapter. The '07-'08 has a slightly stronger spring for riders in the 180-220# range."

So with that said, you may want to doublecheck (if you haven't already) that the '09 shock will work with his adapter. He also may very well have cut the range off at 08 as I specifically had an '08 shock on hand however...

Back to your comment...I agree dude...the R1 shock will serve you well but you may need a stiffer spring (based on satan's info above). Racetech's website has a search app that tells you the spring rate of the stock spring and the spring rate you'd want for your weight. By doing a quick search for an 09 r1: The stock spring rate for an 09 r1 rear shock (assuming an 225lb rider) is 10kg/mm and the recommended spring rate is 13.75kg/mm (for streetriding...numbers might be different for racing, you can check). What does that mean? I have no clue, but for my caveman brain, that means the stock spring isn't stiff enough so I'd have to order a stiffer spring which is about $120 bucks off of racetech (sometimes you can find it cheaper on amazon...I did, just searched the exact part number). So now for your R1 shock, you're looking at $80 (for the stock shock/housing) + $75 (for the satan adapter) + ~100 (for the correct spring) + labor to put the spring together if you don't know how to do it yourself = $255+. EDIT: I just saw you already touched on this in your comment so this entire paragraph is redundant lol.

I've actually purchased all three types of shocks lol: the fz1, the r1, and the ohlins:

The ohlins mono shock is by far the most expensive, running me about $550, but it's rebuildable, comes with a spring based on your inputted rider weight, and installation was a breeze: a simple swap. Plus, there's a bit of bling factor...not that I care. But some do.

The fz1 shock ran me about 100 bucks and that too would've been a simple swap. I didn't get to try it out but based on the other guys' reviews, the spring would've been sufficient for my rider weight (there were a couple guys on here that weighed upwards of 240lbs and said the fz1 shock was more than ample...and they purportedly rode pretty damn hard as well), but the shock itself was not rebuildable- meaning once the shock is done, it's done. You'd need to replace it. The only (stupid) reason I sold it was because I spontaneously ordered the Ohlins and didn't need both. In hindsight, I would've skipped on the ohlins and just kept the fz1 shock. That 400 bucks saved could've been my g'damn power commander V! But I digress...

The r1 shock ran me about 80 bucks, but the adapter was 75, and the installation was more involved as you have to cut out a piece of the bike so the adapter will mount/fit. So I converted time and confusion to currency...which totaled more than 550 bucks to me lol. Not sure if it's rebuildable or not but a bunch of guys have the R1 shock and love it.

If I were you, I would definitley look towards an fz1 shock if you can find one. It sounds like you're just looking for something that can handle your weight better.

Anyway, bro, I really hope this is helpful and doesn't add to your questions. I actually got lost in typing this and realized I am rambling quite a bit lol. But, I hope I was able to clear up at least SOME stuff for you.

And ALL of this knowledge comes from the awesome folks on here. Because I had the exact same questions you did.

satan just came out with the v4 for the 09 r1 shock. i think im going to stick with this route. Thanks for all the help.

RoadKill

I found out that the new 2013 fz8 adjustable shock can be ordered soon from yamaha for about $380. I think for the price I'll be doing this option. I don't need a racing shock just something a little stiffer for my weight.

that sounds like the best option to me. i am only 182 pounds though. so i will probably ride the stock shock for another year. also can it be rebuilt?

Last edited:

Satan666

???

satan just came out with the v4 for the 09 r1 shock. i think im going to stick with this route. Thanks for all the help.

I do not have a production adapter for the '09+ R1 shock. The V4 only works with '04-'08 R1 shocks. The FZ8 voltage regulator (CA fuel re-circulation tray) must be modified and some parts moved to mount the shock.

While the V3 adapter can be modified (by enlarging the clevis hole) to mount the '09 shock, I do not know what modifications are required to allow the shock to fit.

If you weigh >220# there are several R1 springs available with rates up to 648#/in. Cost for an accessory spring should be ~$125. Add that to the cost of the adapter and an '04-'08 R1 shock and you should be in the low $300's.

Granted, use of the proper Penske or Ohlin's will not require hacksaw work, however; you will definitely increase your riding cost in a more significant way.

Jwood9

I thought i read somewhere that someone put jack stands under the rear sets but oh well. Im gonna have to figure some way to lift the bike and hanging isnt an option. :(

DLSGAP

I thought i read somewhere that someone put jack stands under the rear sets but oh well. Im gonna have to figure some way to lift the bike and hanging isnt an option. :(

Yeah. That's what my track side suspension guy does. .. Worked great on the stock rear sets on my zx10

"If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do"

- www.pjsparts.com

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Here is a question could the stock shock be good with just a spring change?

Dunno for motorcycles but with cars if you pair a spring that has a higher springrate than what the damper is setup for, you'll get a more compliant bouncy feeling. THAT and you risk blowing out the shock.

Jwood9

Just wanted to say thanks to Cambo and others for the help with this project. I got to installing my ohlins ya009 on Friday and I love it. Install was a piece of cake And you can tell a difference right when you sit on the bike. I used jack stands to hold up the bike by the rearsets. I put PVC around the vortex pegs to prevent scratching.

I'm just curious has anyone had any experience adjusting their ohlins? I'm curious as to how many clicks preload and rebound have. I tightened the rebound clockwise until it stopped clicking like the manual said and it was 30 clicks clockwise...

My last question is just an observation but I noticed the shock is closer to the chain side of the swingarm... I'm assuming this is correct

Anyways here is pics of my setup and final install

cambo

Avid Rider
And here is final

Lookin' good brotha...I, too, noticed the spring seems closer to the chain side.

As far as adjustments go, in the installation manual they put a sticker in there with their recommended 'clicks'. Mine was '12'. So I turned the clicker thing all the way down (counter-clock or clockwise I forget) and counted 12 up clicks from there. The setting was perfect. Ride is nice and firm but plush enough to not buck me off after every little bump.

Ride safe dude!

Larry P

So, as a rider of about 160lbs, will an FZ1 shock (what year range btw?) give me the stiffer rear end I want? And will it be entirely noticeable?

cambo

Avid Rider
So, as a rider of about 160lbs, will an FZ1 shock (what year range btw?) give me the stiffer rear end I want? And will it be entirely noticeable?

hmmm...I think at 160lbs...you are juuuusssttt above the optimal weight range of the stock fz8 spring. So...my guess is you wouldn't notice much.

Whereas for me...at 230lbs...it was like night and day.

EDIT: actually, after thinking about it...perhaps you will notice a big difference in how much more stiff the fz1 shock is?

So in conclusion, yes and no.

Don't listen to me I don't know what I'm talking about...

Last edited:

Trooper

Here is a question could the stock shock be good with just a spring change?

NO, not necessarily. The springs job is to hold weight, but the biggest problem with the OEM shock is the lack of rebound dampening. Putting a stiffer spring will only make it kick out even more that it already does.

[]V[]addog

cool that;s what i though! The fz1 shock will be more than enough for my riding.

how long do those stock fz1 shocks normally last?

I got sateens adapter and a 2012 r1 shock and well. It's clearly made for a different year I had to machine it a tad bit bigger to fit the r1 bushing so keep that in mind. Could go with a 2008 to 09 shock but me being me I don't like anything that's a older year then my bike.