Which Rear shock? Used FZ1 or new Ohlins?

cambo

Avid Rider
Hey everyone,

Just hoping to get some advice here:

I found a used fz1 shock on ebay for 150 but Sportbiketrackgear.com has the ohlins rear shock for 650. I've heard a lot of good things about both shocks but it seems that the ohlins is more on the serious track riding side...

My question is, for someone who weighs 230lbs with no gear on, which rear shock would you recommend for daily street riding (commuting 80 miles roundtrip)? I just want something that won't sink as much lol, and I don't mind spending the money on the Ohlins but won't if it's just overkill.

Really appreciate any input!!

cambo

Avid Rider
ahhhh damnit, I'm a noob. I think I answered my question through Fazed's thread.

FZ1 shock it is! how do I delete this thread...

F

Fazed

If you want to be a track monster and carve up twisty roads with abandon then Ohlins would be your idea option.

If you use your bike as a commuter/allrounder type bike then I would go the FZ1 shock for value. I use my bike to do everything, (long distance touring, commuting, drag strip, track days) and find the FZ1 shock is more than up to the task

cambo

Avid Rider
Fazed,

thanks dude! yeah I don't know how I missed your thread about your conversion. I'm just glad I finally found an fz1 shock! now hopefully it's still there on ebay...

F

Fazed

The only thing bad I just found out about FZ1 shocks is that they are not rebuildable :(

cambo

Avid Rider
Would you mind explaining why a non-rebuildable shock is bad? Does that mean you can't service it when the time comes and have to resort to completely replacing it?

Sorry..noob here. Google, surprisingly, isn't helping me answer this...

F

Fazed

Yep, when it wears out you throw it away and get a new one.

C

Camo

When it wears out, sign up on the FZ1 site.... The guys over there don't rate them, likely to find one that's been sitting around since the guy bought the bike.

B

bren

When it wears out, sign up on the FZ1 site.... The guys over there don't rate them, likely to find one that's been sitting around since the guy bought the bike.

for sure! i scored one for nothing from a guy on the FZ1 site. He lives about an hour from me, so it was a great excuse to take the bike for a ride and pick it up!

ssky0078

Hey everyone,

My question is, for someone who weighs 230lbs with no gear on, which rear shock would you recommend for daily street riding (commuting 80 miles roundtrip)? I just want something that won't sink as much lol, and I don't mind spending the money on the Ohlins but won't if it's just overkill.

I'm 245 and ride an Fz1. You would probably be happier with the Ohlins if it has the weight appropriate spring on it. The Fz1 spring with the shock depends on the year but is either 12 kg/mm or 13.1 kg/mm. I think there are like 3 or 4 different spring weights that are available that are stronger and better for my body weight. Check out their website racetech.com and check out what your spring values are. Also the Fz1 rear shock only has rebound setting, from what I understand they Ohlins have both Rebound and Compression adjustments. I know most people will say this only makes a difference on the track but actually I got my Fz1 shock setup correctly and the change in the right rebound amount made a big difference for comfortable riding on the street, doesn't feel like I'm gonna get catapulted out of my seat on crappy bumps.

Yep, when it wears out you throw it away and get a new one.

Another good reason for the Ohlins

I'm considering buying an Ohlins/Racetech setup soon (I'll keep you in mind). I had my factory suspension tuned for me by a race shop, it made a huge difference and has helped in my confidence. But, as I'm getting more comfortable and pushing the limits I can tell where an upgrade in the suspension will be worth it soon. Also, I plan on getting some track time in soon.

C

Camo

I'm a fat fucker and the Fz1 shock was fine on my bike, a huge improvement on the stock one. Only reason I upgraded was a former member was selling his Penske unit for nix.

FZ1 shock cost me 30 odd bux, Ohlins don't do a shock in that price range that I'm aware of.
If you've got money to burn and like farkles for the sake of farkles, Ohlins front and rear will for sure do the trick ;)

cambo

Avid Rider
I'm considering buying an Ohlins/Racetech setup soon (I'll keep you in mind). I had my factory suspension tuned for me by a race shop, it made a huge difference and has helped in my confidence. But, as I'm getting more comfortable and pushing the limits I can tell where an upgrade in the suspension will be worth it soon. Also, I plan on getting some track time in soon.

hey awesome! I really appreciate that. From the sounds of it, I think the fz1 shock is all I'll need, especially for a beginner rider such as myself. Straight highway stretches (and horrific DC area drivers) are the most of my worries here.

My next question now involves the front suspension! lol...I've checked out that race tech site and what I've learned is the stock front suspension isn't nearly correct for my body weight but I have no clue in hell what I'm supposed to order or even how to install whatever it is I order. (haha, the rear stock suspension is WAYYY off!)

I'm looking into what Camo did with the r1 fork too. Maybe I'll find an r1 fork off of ebay and send it to race tech to have them upgrade it? Does ite ven need to be upgraded?

So many questions...let the research begin!

cambo

Avid Rider
I'm a fat fucker and the Fz1 shock was fine on my bike, a huge improvement on the stock one. Only reason I upgraded was a former member was selling his Penske unit for nix.

FZ1 shock cost me 30 odd bux, Ohlins don't do a shock in that price range that I'm aware of.
If you've got money to burn and like farkles for the sake of farkles, Ohlins front and rear will for sure do the trick ;)

lmao! nope...not a fan of farkles. No farkles will be had here on my fz8.

C

Camo

Just get the FZ1 shock in and adjusted, see how the bike feels for you before upgrading further. If you're only really hooking along a stretch of freeway each day, the front suspension will likely be fine.
Get yourself more go fast bits to improve commute times lol

ssky0078

hey awesome! I really appreciate that. From the sounds of it, I think the fz1 shock is all I'll need, especially for a beginner rider such as myself. Straight highway stretches (and horrific DC area drivers) are the most of my worries here.

My next question now involves the front suspension! lol...I've checked out that race tech site and what I've learned is the stock front suspension isn't nearly correct for my body weight but I have no clue in hell what I'm supposed to order or even how to install whatever it is I order. (haha, the rear stock suspension is WAYYY off!)

I'm looking into what Camo did with the r1 fork too. Maybe I'll find an r1 fork off of ebay and send it to race tech to have them upgrade it? Does ite ven need to be upgraded?

So many questions...let the research begin!

From everybody I've talked to for the front suspension cheap and easy mod is to drop in the weight appropriate Racetech spring. They go for $115 from racetech or I've found $108 with free shipping from ebay. My local shop said they'd drop it in for $80 (an hours labor) maybe $40 if it's easy to take apart the current fork. If I wanted them to change the fork oil that jumps it up to $200 for fork oil, labor and fork seals.

I personally would do that before swapping for an R1 fork, especially if you don't need the adjustability for a track setup and street setup on the same bike.

I only can notice the weakness in my springs when I'm taking some high speed sweepers and pushing hard on twisty's. Like the ride I took today, I was going mid 80s through some sweepers that were supposed to be taken at yellow traffic sign speed of 60. The Fz1 forks though come with an adjustable rebound and compression setting (rebound on left tube and compression on right tube), although I believe the R1 has rebound & compression on each fork tube giving it a lot more flexibility in settings. I do plan on hitting the track soon and will continue to take spirited rides on the street.

If you are just commuting I would still do the fork springs so that you have the benefit in taking corners at intersections and such where the road has imperfections and uneven surfaces.

cambo

Avid Rider
From everybody I've talked to for the front suspension cheap and easy mod is to drop in the weight appropriate Racetech spring. They go for $115 from racetech or I've found $108 with free shipping from ebay. My local shop said they'd drop it in for $80 (an hours labor) maybe $40 if it's easy to take apart the current fork. If I wanted them to change the fork oil that jumps it up to $200 for fork oil, labor and fork seals.

I personally would do that before swapping for an R1 fork, especially if you don't need the adjustability for a track setup and street setup on the same bike.

I only can notice the weakness in my springs when I'm taking some high speed sweepers and pushing hard on twisty's. Like the ride I took today, I was going mid 80s through some sweepers that were supposed to be taken at yellow traffic sign speed of 60. The Fz1 forks though come with an adjustable rebound and compression setting (rebound on left tube and compression on right tube), although I believe the R1 has rebound & compression on each fork tube giving it a lot more flexibility in settings. I do plan on hitting the track soon and will continue to take spirited rides on the street.

If you are just commuting I would still do the fork springs so that you have the benefit in taking corners at intersections and such where the road has imperfections and uneven surfaces.

perfect! thanks! that's exactly the kind of info I needed. Stiffer springs it is, I saw them on ebay too. Actually, just found out today that a bud I work with is a certified Race-tech mechanic...what are the odds!! He said swapping the springs would be easy but he wants me to go full bore and do the gold valve something or other I forget everything he said but he knows his sh*t for sure. Anyways seems like a lot of money...so...anyway we'll see. But now I know where to start. thanks again dude!

cambo

Avid Rider
Just get the FZ1 shock in and adjusted, see how the bike feels for you before upgrading further. If you're only really hooking along a stretch of freeway each day, the front suspension will likely be fine.
Get yourself more go fast bits to improve commute times lol

haha, I hear ya. that's what the guy I work with suggested too.

I put on a two brothers exhaust, that's about the only 'fast bit' I've added. Sounds a heck of a lot better than the old exhaust I think. My wife said the stock exhausted sounded like a vespa haha

ssky0078

springs ordered! 90 bucks off of amazon w/free shipping!

Smokin' deal. What did you get? I'm guessing the 1.0 kg/mm setup (you said you're 225 right?). I think the Fz8 is what 0.83 kg/mm or something like that.

Can you post the seller info? I may try to get me a set for my Fz1?

cambo

Avid Rider
Smokin' deal. What did you get? I'm guessing the 1.0 kg/mm setup (you said you're 225 right?). I think the Fz8 is what 0.83 kg/mm or something like that.

Can you post the seller info? I may try to get me a set for my Fz1?

I actually went with the .95 setup as I drop quite a bit of weight when the weather gets warmer and the mountain bike comes out :D

225 is my winter weight, I get to about 205 by the end of summer.

Here's a link...I grabbed the last one at 90 bucks but the one listed here is still cheaper than ebay (~$102)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Race-Tech-Fork-Springs-S3827095/dp/B000GV3R3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1360122467&sr=1-1&keywords=FRSP+S3827095]Race Tech Fork Springs .95 kg/mm FRSP S3827095 : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

It's amazing what you can find on amazon.