Veteran Riders--FZ-8...How good is it?

ZJumper

This question is mainly geared at the older/veteran riders who have moved from hard edge sportbikes to a FZ-8.

Here's my situation. Just turned 40 and the body isn't what it used to be as far as being hunched over a sportbike for extended periods of time. Currently on and infrequently ride a bike I'll never sell--pristine, perfect, mint condition 2003 Honda RC-51. Before that was a 2000 Yamaha R1, 1995 Suzuki RF 900, 1991 Yamaha FZR 600.

The other day I was at the local Yamaha/Honda shop and sat on an unknown naked bike. Felt good, looked cool, never seen one before. Was pretty impressed. Got online and found it--it was the Yamaha FZ8. Just sitting on it I was intrigued and got to thinking that I just might need another scoot. I've also checked out the Triumph--not really a fan of Brit-bikes, nor Italian fare.

Here's my situation. I'm keeping the RC-51 for those times when I absolutely need to carve up a canyon road, but would like a bike that's going to give me the best of both worlds for day to day use. Here's what I need and yeah I know everything is a compromise.

1. Powerful acceleration--I'm need some go!! I know the FZ is different than what I'm on and used to...I know engine tech has changed lots over the years--has the FZ got some go to it? I know it's not a literbike OTOH I don't like or want to wring a bike's neck to get it to go either--aka 600cc rides. Don't really like the looks of the FZ1, so that's out.

2. Better ergos. Commuting on an RC sucks. I'd like something that I could commute (20 miles each way) yet can ride 4-5 hours on a Sat/Sun and not have my nuts scorched in traffic or my butt beaten my crappy SoCal freeways heading to canyon routes. Is the FZ a day to day sort of ride?

3. Decent suspension. Ok, so I've read the FZ8 is non adjustable and a bit soft. There's upgrade parts you can buy/install--got it. How's the stock suspension? Is is good enough for a spirited canyon ride or is it trash? Do you drag hard parts/peg feelers all the time or is it only when riding hard?

4. Reliability. Well it's a Yamaha, I'm not really worried about it too much or am I wrong? Any known issues/problems with them?

That's about it...thanks for your time.

C

Camo

It's comfy once the seat breaks in and the ergo's are great. It's got kick from a standing start but comes on alot stronger after the flat spot at 6k and should keep the grin on your face when you're looking for it.

I think you'll start scraping pegs about the same time you find fault with the suspension.
And if you're not into Duc's or Triumphs, this little Yammy may be the answer.

Book a test ride...Was the end of my questions ;)

Edit: Not a veteran rider...I'm only 32, not a veteran anything lol.

Last edited:

K-Gr.

I am not a veteran, but in my opinion it goes like hell. Sure, the power is nowhere near of an aggressive liter V2, but I never feel like it lack something.

But as said - book a testdrive. An hour on a bike can give you a good impression of what it feels like :]

Coolslice

My last two bikes were an R1 and a 1098. I will say that it is obviously way down on power compared to the 1098, which I rode for the last 4 years, and it has been a little difficult to get used to. I now have to kinda flog the FZ8 to get past the idiots in cars, whereas before I would just breath on the throttle and I was gone. Aside form that minor detail, it is a much better bike everywhere else IMO, from build quality to usefulness.

I mainly ride around town, and the Ducati was miserable for that. I needed something that was more comfortable and more suited for the type of riding I mainly do. I finally gave up buying bikes for the 10% of the riding I do, and bought one for the 90% of riding I do.

The FZ8 is a GREAT bike for those that want comfort and reliability, yet still hang on to just enough of the sport bike feel to make it fun to ride. If you are one that really likes the power and stays on the throttle a lot, the FZ8 may not be for you. If you don't care about ripping ass everywhere you go, I think ANYONE will love the FZ8.

C

calscrazy

i went from two katana's to a r6 to a monster and a 900ss cr. i now have a 900ss cr, a r6 and the fz8. by far my baby is still the 900 but it's very tough for me to ride for any kind of extended time. especially since you and i are in the same boat. love the sportbikes but the body says "NOOOOOOO!!!" i use the r6 as a track bike and the fz8 as my daily commuter and weekend blaster. if you take it for what it is it will more than do what you want. i am a track day level 2 borderline level 1 rider (depends on the trackday). as hypo can attest it led a parade of ducs in the texas h/c. i have been on two trips to twistie roads and it did what i wanted. i do highly recommend a rear shock and front fork rebuild. you can do both for about $1200. IF YOU RIDE IT YOU WILL BUY IT. it's very easy to ride to me.

it's not gonna blow you away with power but it has plenty. if you keep it about 7k through a corner you can really power out. it will zip around traffic but our traffic in texas is alot different than cali.

suspension isn't the best but it's an all around bike not a sportbike. little soft for my taste.

ergos are frigging awesome (i am 5'6") but the wind will beat you up (its a naked). i and many others on here have done 8-10 hour rides with no issues. check out the how far have you gone thread.

overall i love it. looks great and it's just enough fun to get you into some trouble (insert police smiley here).

Last edited by a moderator:

wa2txcory

Also not a veteran but have been on some form of motorcycle for over 23 years. I can say if you are looking for a do it all bike the FZ8 is the best I have ridden. It has more than enough power and grunt without having to wrap the shit out of it at 12000+ rpms to get any power. As far as the ergos they are great. Actually almost perfect and I am about 5' 10". As far as the suspension that is my biggest complaint with the bike. If the bike is pushed all the way to the limits the suspension is not there. However, out of about 3500 miles I have put on it only about 320 miles of 100% all out riding did the bike and suspension piss me off. If you have another bike that you can use for the 1% of the time all out you will be more than happy with this bike. I think, although not tested yet, based off my 09 gixxer 600 that the FZ8 would beat it in a 1/4 mile and would actually beat most bikes even some litter bikes from stop light to stop light but will not keep up once the pace gets above 130+ (I do know from recent experience). Overall, if you test ride it you will be hooked and on top of that you wont look like every other bike out there-which is a plus in my opinion.

Here is an article that I think pretty well sums up the bike perfectly.
2011 Yamaha FZ8 - Super Streetbike Magazine

Last edited:

Kliph

Greetings,

I would imagine that I am a Vet rider - Been at it for 40+ years.........

However, I'm coming at this discussion from the other way - ie: my last ride of
26 years was a 1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ, or better known as the Seca. In a lot
of ways, the FZ8 is the Seca's Great Great Grandson.

I find the weight and riding position very close the the Seca. The power and
handling of the FZ8 are much superior. It took me a a couple of years to figure
out what bike will be my last, and the FZ8 fits my needs perfectly.

Good luck with your choice............Kliph

lothodon

Super Moderator
vet here. been riding for a "while" now, 20+ years.

my last two rides were r1's and i left them for the same reasons. comfort. once tuned a little there isn't much lacking in the fz8 for power, as the r1 was quick yes, but the top end was rarely used and never used safely. town riding SUCKED and is SO much more enjoyable on the fz8. i do not miss the acceleration...or the insurance prices.

ergos are MUCH better. i have disc issues and couldn't handle more than 50 miles on the r1 and a helmet made it worse. the fz8 is an EASY 100 miles with a helmet before discomfort kicks in and it's far far less than it was.

scraping parts, i have yet to and i ride river following corners at what i consider the safest quick pace. i'm NOT A RACER and don't act like one. the suspension is more than adequate for me at 6'4" and um...just under 200lbs.

25 years on the street + 6 before that in the dirt.

My 1st street bike was RZ350. Since then I have had a FZ600, Ninja 600, Buell, CB1, GSXR 750, Z1000, R1 (+ a few odds bikes here and there) and now a FZ8. I am 46 years old and have ridden around 200,000 miles. You are not going to get the punch you are used to from a 1000. It has a nice power band and is completely usable. Some time I thought my R1 was tiring to kill me so this is a nice compromise. I have overcome the handling issues by thronging 1,000.00 at it. It now can take on most of the people I come in to contact on the road (experience maybe). The biggest thing for me is the comfort. I can still move at a good pace but on a bike I can ride for hours and hours. Splitting traffic is a breeze compared to all of my other bikes accept my CB1. All in all I love the bike, and I love not having the same bike everyone ells has.

ZJumper

Thanks for the candid input gents. I'm really happy to hear those who went from liter bikes down to (or maybe I should say upgraded) to the FZ-8 and don't regret the purchase.

Now to find one...preferably in the Pacifc Northwest where I can pick it up and tool along the back roads on my way home.

So what is the general consensus of the best exhaust system and suspension mods?

Thanks again.

Edit: I see posts where guys mentioned test rides. Where are you guys getting/booking them? The dealer down here looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead when I asked about taking one for a spin. I asked him and he says "You can test ride it when you buy it." I say "What if I don't like it?" Silence and stupid look as I walked out and left on my RC. Needless to say he lost a potential sale as well as a future customer buying all the normal stuff--oil, filters, tires, service etc.

Last edited:

lol best exhaust is a loaded question i dont think i have seen where anyone has disliked the exhaust they have put on so you going to hear they are all great! id go with your personal preference!! i love my two bros nice deep sound!

kwrose66

[quoteer;10956]Edit: I see posts where guys mentioned test rides. Where are you guys getting/booking them? The dealer down here looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead when I asked about taking one for a spin. I asked him and he says "You can test ride it when you buy it." I say "What if I don't like it?" Silence and stupid look as I walked out and left on my RC. Needless to say he lost a potential sale as well as a future customer buying all the normal stuff--oil, filters, tires, service etc.[/quote]

I've never heard of not being allowed to test ride from a dealer, seems like bad business to me. I understand why individual owners who are selling don't, but the dealer should be doing whatever they have to iin order to keep in business and maintain a positive name with all of their customers.

DLSGAP

I've never bought a bike, new or used without test riding it. Then again, I've always tried to build a decent relationship with my dealerships so i dont get those odd looks.

As for the bike.. been riding since '88. Last bike was an 07 Kawi ZX10. owned a couple liter bikes, four 750s, and i had a cbr600 when i was 12. The FZ is DEFINITELY down on power compared to my ZX. Doesnt want to wheelie as easily. The suspension down right irritates me when i'm not just commuting due to its lack of adjustability. The rearsets vibrate and flex alot. The rubber mounting kinda sucks on them. overall though, its a damn sexy bike, its fun to ride, and being my first naked bike, i LOVE how quick i can do an oil change on it.

TeleRob

I live in the PNW, and the one dealer I've bought two bikes from does not really do test rides either, at least when I asked.. As soon as a bike is test ridden, its de-valued and becomes a demo bike. Plus the dealers don't keep multiple same model bikes in stock, one for test riding, then another to sell new.

There is a Harley dealer that will do test rides though..

ZJumper

As soon as a bike is test ridden, its de-valued and becomes a demo bike. Plus the dealers don't keep multiple same model bikes in stock, one for test riding, then another to sell new.

I'm pretty sure this is the issue. It's a small dealer and they only had one FZ8...then again, they didn't have multiple items of any one bike, only RZR's.

Edit--I did quite a bit of looking on the net and found many 2011 models (holdovers) out there for about a $1K less than the 2012's. Also looked at the Yamaha site to see if there was any difference between the 2011 and 2012 and it looks like nothing was changed. Is this the case?

I'm not opposed to buying a "new" 2011 if it will save some cash.

Last edited:

wa2txcory

Same exact bike but different colors. Really you choice-glossy black-11 or matte black-12 thats the difference. Personally, I would save money and use that $1000 on the suspension (maybe even negotiate that into the 11 as I am sure they are pressing to get it gone)-then you would have nearly a perfect all around bike. Just my opinion.

blackie71

Demo Rides

[quoteer;10956]Edit: I see posts where guys mentioned test rides. Where are you guys getting/booking them? The dealer down here looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead when I asked about taking one for a spin. I asked him and he says "You can test ride it when you buy it." I say "What if I don't like it?" Silence and stupid look as I walked out and left on my RC. Needless to say he lost a potential sale as well as a future customer buying all the normal stuff--oil, filters, tires, service etc.

I've never heard of not being allowed to test ride from a dealer, seems like bad business to me. I understand why individual owners who are selling don't, but the dealer should be doing whatever they have to iin order to keep in business and maintain a positive name with all of their customers.[/QUOTE]

Daytona Beach is quite a distance from you, but if you come to bike week or biketoberfest you can ride all of the latest and greatest bikes. Since 2004 I have rode over 150 different bikes. That is how I decided on the FZ8.:D

TeleRob

Edit--I did quite a bit of looking on the net and found many 2011 models (holdovers) out there for about a $1K less than the 2012's. Also looked at the Yamaha site to see if there was any difference between the 2011 and 2012 and it looks like nothing was changed. Is this the case?

I think they just changed the color on 2012.
I also snagged a 2011 at 1K less than new.

Sschwar4

Vet, 45 years riding. Last bikes were R1, R6, 600R, FZ1. All great bikes, but not an FZ8.

I commute 3 days a week 35 miles each way (5 miles of freeway). Great commute bike, but having a wind screen helps the fatigue factor.

Have done back to back 500 mile days with no issues. Could have gone further, but others needed to stop. Could not have done that on R1. Seat does have a break in period. Mine felt good after 3500 miles.

Has much more range the the R's (38 mpg). I am getting on average 48 mpg commuting and trips on weekends.

Plenty of power, unless you plan on living in the 3 digit range.

Suspension is its weakest feature. Dives deep on heavy front breaking. When pushed hard in corners, it can skip out. Just an attention getter.

Plenty of heat from engine (shin and knee area), but not real noticeable unless temps are above 95. No croch heat as the R1 has.

Lots of mods you can do as most Yamahas.