tail tidy help

Ott

Help! I received my Yoshimura tail tidy, and the instructions state that the 4 bolts holding the tailpiece on are to be removed (done), but it then goes on to state that the turn signals & license light should be disconnected, but I can't find any quick disconnects!

What am I overlooking? Please, someone who's done this mod, please point out the error of my ways.

T.I.A.

Ott

H

Hoover

Break out the wire cutters.

When I changed mine out, I also replaced the turn signals. Not sure if you are, but either way, if you cut the wires about halfway down the inside of the tail section, you can pull them out and still have enough to feed back through and re-attach.
There is plenty of slack there. When you rejoin them, if possible use a heat sink butt connector, that will stop any moisture getting in.
I did find that when you pull the wires back though the hole, it helps to use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the wires as they come back through the hole.

Ott

OK Guys. I got the tidy installed. It was a "bit fiddly" as the Brits say, but it looks fantastic & was a huge improvement over the factory mount.

Thanks for the guidance!

Ott

mckshred

Fender Eliminator Comparisons

I see a number of manufacturers of Fender Eliminator kits available - prices ranging from $69-$129. Evotech, Yoshimura etc. They look pretty much the same in the pictures, I haven't seen any actual yet.

I will probably go for the Yoshi kit, mostly based on name and rep. Most of you guys go with Yoshi over others? Any specific reason? Just curious.

I did come across HotBodies - Hotbodies Racing - Windscreens, Undertails, Megaphone Exhausts, Bodywork... - which makes some sweet looking aftermarket stuff, but nothing listed for the FZ8. I emailed them to see if they had any items planned for the FZ8 and am waiting to hear back.

hypo

I based my choice on 1. how it looks 2. availability ... I went with R&G or something like that. I think we had the choice of MAYBE 2 manufacturers at that time, so the choices were limited.

H

Hoover

I went with the Yoshi for 2 reasons.
1. The quality is amazing and the led licence plate lights are very trick.
2. I can afford it. It is pricey but I budgeted for it when I bought the bike.

If you are on a budget, there are plenty of cheaper ones that do just fine, but imho, the yoshi one is the nuts.:2cents:

mckshred

targa it is....

Thanks for the input guys.
I went with the Targa for $77 from Surfsidemoto.com. I like the micro sized turn signals and also has led plate light. Took about an hour and a half to install, I took my time.

Only gripe is the cheapo bullet connectors, but I'm sure all the manufacturers do that with their kits. So get some heat shrink tubes for dialing in the wiring. The shrink tubes that come with the set are a little on the short side.

So does this void my warranty because I don't have the stock rear turn signals installed any longer?

Last edited:

FZER

Avid Rider
I went with the Targa for like $69. I like the micro sized turn signals and also has led plate light. Took about an hour to install. Only gripe is the cheapo bullet connectors, but I'm sure all the manufacturers do that with their kits. Thanks for the input guys. So does this void my warranty because I don't have the stock rear turn signals installed any longer?

Where did you get it. Sounds like a good deal if it comes with turn signals. Only thing I hate about our bikes, those dang signals.

hypo

cutting the wires isn't really that bad a deal... especially since they use those crazy connectors anyways. I usually cut out those connectors and replace them with common connectors you can get at any autoparts stores, so if I want to swap them out again, or downgrade them to sell, I just swap them out and plug and play. :)

jumb5150

cutting the wires isn't really that bad a deal... especially since they use those crazy connectors anyways. I usually cut out those connectors and replace them with common connectors you can get at any autoparts stores, so if I want to swap them out again, or downgrade them to sell, I just swap them out and plug and play. :)

by any chance would u happen to have a pic of these connectors?

hypo

sure thing. standby.

here you go: The original connectors are funky triangle bad boys... some of them anyways... so I mark them and swap them out. :)

Last edited:

desertdude

I went with the R&G tail tidy and didnt cut a single wire. I like the look and function alot, but the only thing I didnt like was the fact that the license plate mounting holes were too narrow and I had to fab up a bracket for it. They mention nothing about this. Do license plate sizes differ from state to state?

cjvan

i cut my wires as high as i could up the old tail piece so i had lots of slack from the old signal lights and plate light. i soldered them and used heat shrink tube then fed them back up under the passenger seat.

there is a problem with this tail tidy. the license plate i have (in vancouver canada) is too big for the darn thing. i had to reverse the signal light mounting brackets to push the signals out wider than the instructions say, or they wouldn't fit. if you are changing the signal lights this shouldnt be a problem

JRunner

I went with the R&G tail tidy and didnt cut a single wire. I like the look and function alot, but the only thing I didnt like was the fact that the license plate mounting holes were too narrow and I had to fab up a bracket for it. They mention nothing about this. Do license plate sizes differ from state to state?

How do you install any of these tidys without cutting wires?

lyric911

How do you install any of these tidys without cutting wires?

Unclip them in the tail (all of them have bullet connectors or similar) and feed the wire through. I only had to cut wires when I put my integrated tail light in since I bought the FZ1 version rather than waiting for the FZ8 version with the proper pigtails.

stianR

I dont think my turn signals have any easy connectors. Its a '12 bought in Norway, dont know if thats got anything to do with it. I followed the wires all the way from the bulb to where the wires meet up with the rest before the battery.
I found the tail light connector right away, but that didnt help with installing my R&G tail tidy.

Ended up with cutting. No stress. Especially since my girlfriend is an electrician :)

Last edited: