Suspension

C

Camo

Hey guys, just wanting to do a bit of research on upgrading our suspension.
I'd love to say I have a stack of money to spend on ohlins front and rear but sadly I do not.

So what I was after, was any info on what bikes have compatible forks/rear shocks as our FZ8's?
I was thinking I maybe able to pick up some relatively cheap second hand gear, that would provide more adjustability or atleast more stiffness..

impostor1981

I ve changed fork for FZ1 and put 7.5WT oil. Now am waintimg for best offer foe rear shock, as there is not many available I am hoping to get some discount in exchange for lending my for measurement.
Will see
I will ne posting all of my upgrades very soon :-D

impostor1981

Exactly like Dr said. But u could get lenght adjuatable rear shock and lower it to keep the geometry right. But that ground clearance is lower and more important lean over ground clerance, which is crap with a stock seting anyway, will get worse.

impostor1981

It will not fit directly. You would need an adapter to fit R1 shock. Somebody here have done it but I do not know the results.

C

Camo

I was sure some FZ1 gear would bolt straight on but is it much of an upgrade? I mean, the guys over on the FZ1 site all swear by changing out their stock gear as well?

Hellgate

The FZ family has crap for suspension, regardless of model or year.

For the FZ1 many people just go straight to the R1 frontend. The '04 version bolts right on. The difference is night and day.

On the rear most use the Penske double clicker. The R6 shock is actually the one most people use. It's okay. There are also services to rework the stocker but why put money into a POS?

Just search on the FZ1 side of the forum.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 438

I'm running an r1 shock with an adapter that was designed for the fz1. Our subframe is different from the fz1's, so there was a little extra modification required to make it work. I installed the shock right before putting the bike away for the winter, so I didn't have much time to get it set up. The short ride that I was able to take with felt a lot more comfortable than with the stock unit.

C

Camo

Would you mind PM'ing me the details please Doom?
Parts, process, costing etc.
I'm keen to see what you think of it after a decent amount of time in the saddle!

impostor1981

Doom how big is the difference between ours anr FZ1 subframe. From what u said I uderstand that aftermarket shock designed for FZ1 will not fit FZ8. Is that right

GarryM

Impostor, a stock FZ1 shock bolts straight into the FZ8, no mods required and is a big improvement over the FZ8 shock

impostor1981

What it is, Doom said that he put R1 shock with some adapter made for FZ1 but had to modify the adapter to fit FZ8.
I red a lot of negative opinions from FZ1 riders about rear shock, it might be better than ours but still crap. Personally I am investing in some proper shock now just looking around for best value for money.

D

Deleted member 438

All I had to do was modify the regulator rectifier bracket. It was no biggie.