Suspension

Hellgate

Impostor, a stock FZ1 shock bolts straight into the FZ8, no mods required and is a big improvement over the FZ8 shock

Don't even bother with the FZ1 shock. All it's good for is a boat anchor.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GarryM

Don't even bother with the FZ1 shock. All it's good for a boat anchor.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

It's light years ahead of the rubbish FZ8 shock. I've had one on my bike for about 8000km and I'm extremely happy with it. Much more control than the FZ8 shock while maintaining a plush ride. It's not an R1 by any means but I didn't want an R1 otherwise I would have bought one.

Hellgate

It's light years ahead of the rubbish FZ8 shock. I've had one on my bike for about 8000km and I'm extremely happy with it. Much more control than the FZ8 shock while maintaining a plush ride. It's not an R1 by any means but I didn't want an R1 otherwise I would have bought one.

That maybe the case however it is no super star. Only compression damping can be adjusted, the range is limited, the they tend to over heat during a fast ride. Also the '06 spring is about 75lbs heavier than the '07 spring.

DLSGAP

I have an r1 shock on the way. Will post a thread with pics when I do the swap and will link it here

razz

well after a weekend of awesome weather and thrashing the fz8 about , i must sort out the standard suspension asap , trouble is i`m on a well tight budget , i`ve spotted ohlins springs , but its the shock . i see loads of R1 shocks on ebay cheap , but i gotta make it fit , i`ll keep an eye on this one to see how you all get on , or i might just buy one and have a go

DLSGAP

I have abandoned my rear shock project for now.

To install the r1 shocked you need to have an adapter to make up the difference in shock links and you have to modify the bracket for the regulator. Getting the adapter is proving to be an issue at the moment so I'm going to focus on other mods first and make do with it riding like a 40 year old cadillac

C

Camo

I bought a used FZ1 rear shock for 70 odd bux in good condition from one of the lads on that sister site. I think the shipping was more expensive than the actual shock, It should be here in the next week or two and I think it'll be a ton better and should provide a temporary fix.
Depending on the arrival condition, I may bolt it straight in and see how it goes. Worse case scenario, I get it freshened up and stick a new spring in it till I can justify a proper upgrade.

Sschwar4

That maybe the case however it is no super star. Only compression damping can be adjusted, the range is limited, the they tend to over heat during a fast ride. Also the '06 spring is about 75lbs heavier than the '07 spring.

FZ1 shock has adjustable rebound, not compression.

C

Camo

Either way it'll be better than the stock rubbish they try to pass off as rear suspension on our bikes.

GarryM

I found it was a huge improvement over the stock shock and a good match for the stock front end. If you are going to upgrade the front you might find the FZ1 shock a bit underdone.