So, why did we buy the FZ8 instead of the FZ1??

D

DJK1505

Couldn't find the FZ1N in the states. And the 8 is the shit! Best looking street fighter/ naked out there! And it was the newest in the states.

glockman39

Bikes I've owned in this order:

Honda SL70
Honda CB350
Honda CB750
Honda Interceptor 750
Yamaha YZF600R (the good ole Thundercat)
Honda CBR600RR
Yamaha FZ8.

I'm small in stature, only 5'7" and 160. The FZ8 is hands down the best fitting bike I've ever owned. I love its style, its mid-range power, its color.

I'm perfectly content with its performance (though I've previously stated I would like an adjustable front suspension).

A bike should fit the rider, and the rider should fit the bike. The rider should be at ease with the controls, the riding position, and the handling of the machine. This is the best bike I've ever owned, not in terms of purse sport performance (my 2005 CBR was excellent in handling and cornering), but in terms of all around performance. And there is a difference. I'll be riding this one for a long time.

glockman39

Zero saddle time? You may be making a poor assumption. Here is my experience, lately.
2004 FZ1 full faired - 21000 miles

2007 YZF600r - 6000 miles

2009 YZFR1 - 6000 miles

2003 YZFR6 - 5000 miles

2011 FZ8 - 5100 miles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The one bike I regret selling the most: My 2002 Yamaha YZF600R. I can't explain why, but I absolutely loved that bike. I miss it.

specops13

I bought my FZ8 after not being able to get the new Vmax down under $20,000 out the door. Actually $20,238. I took a test ride on the new Vmax and got to romp it pretty good. Felt like I was on a Clydesdale Horse. The next day I took the FZ out and had a spot where I got it over 100 in short order. Considering that the FZ felt like it weighed about half as much and has a perfect power curve. My mind was made up. Costing way less than half as much OTD With added accessories was a huge bonus. Besides, I already have 2 Gen 1 Vmax's. One of them is Smokin Fast... Now, just to make a few changes for a more touring style and add some really cool looking scoops. I'll have a Mini Max....

Fizzer8

I bought it as a new rider of bigger bikes for the following reasons:

looks, ride position, insurance and yamaha's brand.

It's a stunning bike to look at and considering I liked the r6 and r1 , sense kicked in over ride position. Also to be honest a lot of bikers advised me that a 1000cc bike is too much power for a new rider. I wanted a bike to enjoy longer rides on with good ride position.

My dealer offered me a discounted fz1 as there were low stocks aroumd of the fz8. But the fz8 appealed so much that I found a dealer 40 miles further away just to get it.

n00b

Avid Rider
I bought it as a new rider of bigger bikes for the following reasons:

looks, ride position, insurance and yamaha's brand.

It's a stunning bike to look at and considering I liked the r6 and r1 , sense kicked in over ride position. Also to be honest a lot of bikers advised me that a 1000cc bike is too much power for a new rider. I wanted a bike to enjoy longer rides on with good ride position.

My dealer offered me a discounted fz1 as there were low stocks aroumd of the fz8. But the fz8 appealed so much that I found a dealer 40 miles further away just to get it.

Same as above :)

compensation

8 is a bigger number then 1. Duh. Haha

I am a impulse buyer. I seen the poster and told the dealer if he had one of those I would buy it right now.....he did. I really do hate yamaha. I like this bike but kawi is better imo. If I seen the z1000 the day before then I wouldn't be here. But I plan on never selling my 8, it is the most beautiful zippy bike I been on. Just enjoy it and see how many miles till she blows.:)

W

WARPTH

I was actually tossing up between a street triple, aprillia shiver sport or a husqvarna smr511, happenned to walk past a yam dealer as i was doing the rounds and the deal was too good to pass up. And didnt see the shiv and the st3 as being 3-4k better. I know ill spend that on mods any way but modding is in my nature. :)

I bought my new FZ8 as my Triumph Daytona 955i absolutely killed my left wrist, elbow and shoulder . I loved the bike to look at and on a motorway (highway/freeway if you're from the US of A ) it was terrific, a mile muncher, but ultimately too uncomfortable so I was looking for a street fighter type bike that was pretty nimble, good looking and a good all round performer. I did initially get the hots for the FZ1 but not the price, looked at the Kwacker Z1 and Z750 also. I just happened to be scouring the net looking at different kinds of bikes and at dealer's in my home city of Leicester when I came across Yamaha offering 0% finance deals on the XJ and FZ range.

As previously mentioned in other posts I got offered a good part-exchange price for my Daytona and with a massive grin sealed the deal on a new black FZ8 (2012 plate) . The power of the FZ1 would have been nice as my Triumph is a fair bit quicker than the 8 but overall it's a cracking bike and guys, I tell ya what, once you've run that engine in she absolutely flies once you hit that 6500rpm ! A friend of mine that rides a speed triple ( it actually is a Daytona minus the fairing and has the last 955i engine fitted) was behind me recently one sunday and I let that FZ8 off it's leash on a good stretch of road and he struggled to keep up with me.......he said he never expected that from the Yam!

So , anyway, to answer the question, I paid £6799 on the road for my FZ8, the FZ1 was nearly £10k, totally outa the question price wise. The FZ8 looks great and rides great, is easy to ride and yet has that grin factor when you need it. Crackin bit of kit. Enjoy the pics, one is of my old yellow Daytona parked up by mate Jim's Kwacker ZX10 , have ridden that , it's lethal, a licence loser, so flippin' powerful, very uncomfortable on the neck so wont be avin one of them!

cheers fellow eff zedders, safe riding all,

Daz, Leicester, uk;)

Last edited:

HeadFX

You could say I've "dowgraded" from my old '99 R1 (whose power and torque isn't a million miles away from the FZ1), but for me the main reason to get a bike with a smaller engine is that you can make more use of it's capabilities. Thrash the R1 in third and fourth gear and very soon I'm scaring myself and other road users around me :D But on the FZ8 it feels like I am working the bike harder... much more involved in the riding experience. It's actually more rewarding to ride than my last bike.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the torque of the R1 though, but the efficient injected engine of the fizzer almost totally makes up for it :)

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
I couldn't find a Zuk M109R and my father had fallen in love with a Z1000 so I was looking at all the other Nakeds and when I sat on my 8 it kinda just clicked. To be honest I may have gone with a 1 if we had the 1N in the states but I've fallen hard enough with mine that unless I would chance on some screaming deal for a cb1000r this one will be in the stable a long time and more than likely it'll stay there I'll just have to park the next one beside it.

I bought a FZ8 because I wanted a more stylish, lighter, and unique bike to make my own. Its about $2500 less than a FZ1. Rear suspension? Got a $75 FZ1 shock. So we're still $2425 under a FZ1. Forks done? Race tech springs and cartridges $700. Now we're at $1725 less than a FZ1 and free to mod away to our hearts content. I believe the 8's engine is better for everyday riding and honestly 106 horsepower (more with a few mods) is plenty. Its torquey and high revving but in a balanced manageable way. It saves on tires and insurance and has all the same accessories available. It also doesn't hurt that it looks way better than the FZ1 IMO. I fell instantly in love with the matte gray paint scheme and that's all she wrote. ;)

SeñorJack

El Guapo
For me, this is my first modern bike. I have only had carbed inline 4s that ran like crap. this is my entry into the sport world.

If I wanted a super sport, I would've got one. you know, all agro and whatnot, keep it revved high all day. But I need a commuter. This is my only vehicle. FZ8 or the bus. got a good deal on mine with all the coverage insurance bells and whistles. The 1000cc didn't quite sell me on the practicality end of things. and the 600cc isn't something I want to be stuck with for a long time.

Plus right out of the box (goofy signals and rear fender included) I think it is the most bad ass looking bike you can buy.

Just my two cents.

rail

I wasn't sure I needed, wanted, or was ready for the power of an FZ1. judging by my ability to handle the FZ8 so far, I was right :D plus the FZ8 got me drooling. I would love a half fairing, but I don't travel much and I like the wind just as much. that's a toss up. I'm very happy with my choice.

S

Shock

For me the FZ8 called out to me buy me! I just want to make it uniquely mine and set up the engine to perform better without telling the insurance company so my rates stay the same. I absolutely love riding it. For those Americans n here that watched Tool Time with Tim Allen you know where I'm coming from

chopstic

For me.. The FZ8 seemed like the most amount of power I could actually use on the street without going to jail or paying $1000s in traffic tickets. The FZ1 would have been a nice upgrade in power that I could NEVER take advantage of on public roadways.

F

Fazed

For me the FZ8 was $6000 cheaper. The FZ1 is not worth $6000 more.