So, why did we buy the FZ8 instead of the FZ1??

Sschwar4

After reading so many of the postings over the last few weeks, I have begun to wonder why I really bought the FZ8 over an FZ1.

There was the $2000 dollar price difference. That quickly went away with suspension upgrades to just match the FZ1.

There is the new styling. Could have bought the front end plastics and replaced the FZ1 front end for < $1000.

There is the FZ8 performance, well that's backward, FZ1 already has better performance.

Wanted to give Yamaha a higher profit margin. Guilty, I bought it.

Wanted latest and greatest. We did get latest, but not quite greatest. Would have been greatest if engine were based on new R1 cross plane.

Wanted the FZ8 from Europe. That didn't happen either. Many things missing, running light up front, flasher on left assembly, click to pass on left assembly and many more. Check out the owners manual from the Yamaha Europe site.

Cheaper insurance. Same as an R1 for me. Twice the price of my R6.

So, why did you buy the FZ8?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lyric911

Styling, and I got it $3500 cheaper than an FZ1. In hindsight, I'd have rather gotten an FZ1. But too late, for now.

Hereward

Well, because firstly, that 800cc motor is far easier to live with in day to day riding situations over the FZ1, the bike is more nimble than the FZ1, the insurance is less than the FZ1, Everyone has an FZ1 or a speed triple.

What dose the FZ1 do better than the FZ8.........it goes quicker..........ok well there are LOTS of bikes that go quicker than the FZ1, why not one of those? It's a naked, it's cheap (in the US) it's as reliable as any Yamaha, The point of a naked is not to acelerate to a speed you simply get blown of the back of it.........its a street bike, it's happy in an urban enviroment and out on rural country roads. it'll do long hauls and sunday morning blasts.........a jack of all trades if you like, as a whole, the FZ8 is a better all rounder than the FZ1 simply because it is far easier to ride and live with day to day no matter what your doing.

That dosn't mean the FZ1 is a bad bike, if you want a powerhouse naked street fighter then there you go, FZ1.........but there are bigger more powerful naked streetfighter out there than the FZ1...........so why not one of those? simple awnser, if the FZ1 tiks all your boxes in what your looking for, price, looks, power, comfort, ect ect ect then get it...........however the FZ8 ticks more boxes for most of us here, thats why we got it, and thats why I think it's a better bike for me ...................I recently had a go of the Honda Valdero and yep, that type of bike will be my next bike, not that it's better than the FZ8, simply because I want to do more touring and I loved the seating position and the pogo stick suspension!..............I'll never think the FZ8 has soft suspension again, in fact I Knocked the rear shock down 2 notches after an afternoon on the big adventure bike as I found the FZ8 was TOO stiff on the rear LOL

Horses for courses is what I'm saying, the FZ8 and the FZ1 have weaknesses and strenghs that are diferent and they apeal to diferent riders for diferent reasons, neither is better or worse than the other, they are diferent bikes aimed at diferent markets. Want power, FZ1, want all rounder FZ8

Last edited:

glockman39

Because it was cheaper.

The insurance is much cheaper than my CBR insurance was.

For my purposes, the engine and performance suit me fine.

And while I would like adjustable suspension up front, I'm just not that into street racing and to make me really want to upgrade the suspension.

It's an all around perfect bike for my needs.

H

Hoover

I bought it because I do not need the bulk and power of an FZ1. For a brand new bike, it was cheap. The reviews on it were outstanding. It is relatively unusual ( I see tons of FZ1's around).
I love it's looks.

lothodon

Super Moderator
riding position is what got me off my r1's, cheaper (WAY) insurance and i love naked bikes.

the only other option i would have preferred is a naked fz1 which are not available in the us.

i did nothing to my suspension since i just ride, i don't race, nor do i "think" i am a racer or ever will be.

and shop insurance. progrASSive wanted 1200 a year (was paying 400 for my 03 r1) and state farm gets 250. geico wanted 1600.

Sschwar4

Some mentioned words like nimble, less bulk.

Did you know the specs are the same except for the 20 pounds in weight and few inches height (wind shield). Which a lot are adding to the 8 anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 8 as well.

DownhomeMoto

Sschwar4.... Do you wish you would have gotten the FZ1? If so, then sorry, go get it. You don't seem to be to amped about the FZ8.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I wasn't even considering a street bike. I saw the FZ8 in the Yamaha showroom and ,to me , it was best looking bike i have seen in the black.. Sat on it, riding position was nice, and just had to have it. My first street bike and plenty of power for me( actually was intimidated for the first few weeks riding it. The more i ride my FZ8,the more i love it. Do i want a FZ1 now, not at all, the FZ8 is the right bike for me. If the bike was blue, white or even the new gray, i would probably not even given it a second look and carried on riding dirt bikes and ATV's, but the all black bike just stood out as a bad a$$ ,sinister looking bike that i just had to have. Glad i got it.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I actually test rode the FZ-1 right before buying my 8. For me anyways, it felt like the engine in the 8 was better suited for my riding style. Around town and in LA traffic I felt like it had more to offer at a lower RPM range. And, in the looks department it wasn't even a comparison. Honestly for me the price really didn't factor in. The 8 was the bike I wanted regardless of price-point. I do wish however it had adjustable suspension up front. But that's nothing a little tinkering wont solve.

hypo

1. NAKED. I came from a long line of nakeds and cruisers, and it looked like JETFIRE from Transformers.

2. Ergonomics. I'm old. I like to sit up straighter than crotch rocket jockeys do and love the wind in my face.

3. Insurance on a 1000 HAS to be higher than an 800, and actually I didn't see the need to go to a 1000 after just getting off a 750 cruiser (and there is ZERO comparison there. cruisers were not meant to do what the FZ8 was meant to do.)

-pps in Texas, if your bike is considered a supersport, they charge RIDICULOUS RATES no matter what size engine...

Last edited:

Sschwar4

Sschwar4.... Do you wish you would have gotten the FZ1? If so, then sorry, go get it. You don't seem to be to amped about the FZ8.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

No I don't wish I had bought a 1. And don't plan on taking the suspension from a 1 on either.

But, after 5000 miles on the bike the suspension is fading, and an investment is needed to bring it back. Add another $800-1200. Race Tech, here I come.

Last edited:

cpatt

i got mine because this is what my local bike shop had. and i was trying to downsize from my 1200cc buell and i figured 600. to small 1000... no need 800 that has to be it. got it the next day

Sschwar4

My reasons:

Didn't want a FZ6r. Already had an R1, R6, and 600R
Loved the riding position.
Wife actually would ride on this one.
Cheaper insurance. $10 per month cheaper than 09 R1, but still twice that of R6.
Good looks!
Naked style.
Great gas mileage. 44 on average.
Cheaper accessories.
Brand new bike to the US. So was SuperTenere, but way more $$$.
Black metal flake paint with gold forks. Sexy.
It's a Yamaha!
And many other small things

D

Deleted member 438

My dealer had a left over FZ1 that was about $200 to $300 cheaper than the FZ8---i bought it because it looks amazing.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I bought the FZ8 because it is the next step up for me being a novice rider (under 5 years). My first bike was a 92 Honda CB750. I thought an FZ1 would have been a bit much in terms of horsepower.

impostor1981

To me Fazer8 looks sexier than Fazer1 it has got enough power for the time being to satisfy me. Matter of a fact is that I was bit to scared of 150 BHPs. Bike has got really good pull from low and mid range of revs.
And my plan from the begining, as I was strongly undecided between both of them, was to run 8 and if I lack power just to buy a FZ1 engine and do a swap. That way I get the looks of FZ8 and power of FZ1

BTW its not only front plastic but also tank has got a different shape and it all makes it look the way it looks.

In terms of costs of the engine, I could buy FZ1 engine 3500 miles done on it for 900 GBP thats with everything included (harned ECU ignition all to put straight on). I paid 2000 GBP less for FZ8 so I would still be 1100 better of. Upgrades like suspension I paid 300 GBP for FZ1 front end so still 800 GBP savings.
Rear shock I got aftermarket one so I would get it for FZ1 too so cost would be the same, same with all other upgrades I would put them on FZ1 too.

So in the nut shell It works out even cheaper to get FZ8 buy extra engine from FZ1 and it will still leav you with spare engine if one dies if few years time you have got a nearly brand new unit waiting to be bolted on.

That was my way of thinking when I was making my decision

:)

highoctane

Canyon Carver
1. within my buget
2. love how it looks... i have a thing for black
3. the right size/riding position
4. plenty powerful enough for me
5. mostly for looks
actually allmost bought the fz1, was negotiating on the 8 and they had a
2010 fz1 red he would have sold me for the same price and honestly the salesman lost a sale because he didnt return my calls. went to another dealer and bought the 8 no regrets.