So, why did we buy the FZ8 instead of the FZ1??

Mint

I test drove both one after the other, the FZ8 was $9500, FZ1 was $13000 (yamaha runout deal so each bike was already reduced by $3000)....granted I was only on each one for 20mins max, but I didn't feel there was $3500 difference...and then I would still have to fit a pipe etc.....so decided get the 8 and spend the difference on goodies :)

Glovik

I knew I was going to buy the FZ8 the moment I saw it.

Before the 8 I was on an 81 Suzuki gs450L (lots of fun) and my dads 03 Honda VTX 1800 (basically a semi on 2 wheels, no fun unless going on interstate journeys) trading back and forth pretty regularly.

My dad has always gotten his oil changes from the dealership he bought it from for an excuse to make a trip and shoot the shit with the guys. I made the trek last fall, and while scanning the showroom saw a 2011 FZ8 cramped in between 2 cbr600rrs. I darted straight to it, knowing i wanted it regardless of make, model, cc, anything. The 600s look like every other generic "crotch rocket". The 8 stood like it had a halo around it. I spent probably 20mins just staring at it. The Hondas were too close to jump on, and I was too in awe taking pictures to play mototetris so I could sit on it.

I spend all last winter reading countless reviews and watching every single FZ8 related video on YouTube daily. Once spring hit, I went to my local dealership and bought one. First time I sat on it was after swiping the card for the downpayment. It was like a glove.

I looked into the FZ1, but I was sold on a naked bike and didn't care for it's fairing. I also watched plenty of FZ1 videos but they just couldn't justify the extra price tag to me.

It still makes me drool and excited to ride every time I look at it. I'm now a total Yamaha fan boy and years from now when i'm rich and famous ill have the FZ8, an R1, and a VMax :).