So, why did we buy the FZ8 instead of the FZ1??

SpunkyTheTuna

I saw it, I liked it, it fits me well, it has enough power to be interesting but isn't a beast (I'm old and don't have the eyesight or reflexes I used to have and that matters). Does that make it an old man's bike? Well, mine is. Didn't consider an FZ1 or an R1 and I don't care for the frenzied buzz of 600s. I'm enjoying it, I may or may not do anything about the suspension that's probably more competent than I am and that I'll almost certainly never push to the point of it being unsafe.

On the other hand, I was ripping past a bunch of cars on a freeway on ramp this morning on my way to work and felt it begin to weave a little under me, so maybe some suspension work wouldn't be a bad idea.

I've always maintained that all motorcycles, no matter their mechanical state, are just starter kits waiting for perfecting into your own vision of what they can be. This one is just another starter kit, I suppose.

rysyndrome

Someone will always have a "better" bike than you... whether based on price, power, looks, brand name, exclusivity and one's opinion. In my opinion the FZ8 is above average in most of those areas while still being decently priced. I for one likely wouldn't own a street bike if it wasn't for my 8. :2cents:

C

Camo

It road well on the test, loved the look and I knew there was a few things I could do over time to improve it/put some personal touches to it kinda deal.

I almost traded it in on a Speed triple but in the end just decided to keep it.
This will be my all day everyday bike for the next few years at least. It'll do a few track days but I think If I want to spend more time at the track I'll buy a dedicated track basher so I don't kill the FZ8.

The FZ1 felt top end heavy to me...Lacked the down low grunt that I do alot of my riding in. Chopping down the freeway doing a buck fifty isn't a common thing for me at all and If it was I think the FZ1 would be a better option maybe?

Scott H

I was thinking of buying a second bike and it was either a sport bike or a naked. I was getting tires mounted for my cruiser and had time to browse the showroom at a local dealer. Saw a 2012 8 and instanly had to have it. Did some looking around and found a killer deal on a 2011. The metallic black was the final straw, bought it instantly.

Reasons I would tell someone to buy an 8.

Best looking bike on the road.

Its a Yamaha

Riding position is really comfortable.

800cc's, fuel injected and 100hp for $6500 can't be beat (that's what I paid...NEW)

Not a bellybutton bike (everyone has a bellybutton)

People at bike night can't stop looking or asking questions

Power, Power and more Power

The grin you'll have on your face when you hit the starter button only gets bigger the more you ride it.

White Rider

White with gold forks and wheels. What's not to love?
Wanted to support the dealer closest to me and this with carbon exhaust, belly pan, leds and seat cowl blew me away. Will look at fz1 when one with crossplane engine comes out (if ever). I was even followed into a bakery by a young guy smitten with its looks!

Hereward

Well that prety much sums it up, don't come on an FZ8 forum and say another bike is better LOL
We all had our tick lists in our head and the FZ8 ticked most if not all our boxes so we bought it.
Couple of diferences between the FZ1 and FZ8......BHP obviously! low and midrange pickup more3 progresive on the 8, throtle responce less snatchy on the 8, 180 rear over 190 rear of the 1 makes for more flickability through the twisty stuff, FZ1 tank is wider than the 8's making the 8 a little more comfy for some. adjustable front and rear suspension on the 1 for endless fidleing LOL and on and on and on......what this dose show is that the 8 simply isn't a 1 with a down sleved motor, there is quite a few diferences which makes the bike quite diferent from the 1. Here in the UK we do have naked FZ1's and there isn't much in the looks department to tell the two apart at first glance.
But anyway, my black FZ8 with akrapovic un baffled carbon can, tail tidy, belly pan, led's ect ect looks prety much perfect in my eyes, that 100bhp+ and 60ftlb of tourqe is more than enough for the road and with that "powerband" esq delivery at the top end it's grin enduceing enough for me as is it's confidence in the corners coupled with the progresive mid range throtle responce. The uprightish seating position with the wide bars makes for a comfortuble place to spend the day yet not to comfortuble to feel detached from the bike........................I could go on but it's all personal opinion, your average ducati sports bike fan would have a different view, as would your average HD rider or dirt bike fanatic.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
The core components of the 8 are all the same parts as the 1. The frame, swingarm, subframe, block and head are shared by the two bikes. They are very close in weight. The 8 was created to fill a market void that Yamaha was losing sales to. They had the entry level bikes and the high-end speed demons but lacked the mid-range commuter-carver. They took the FZ1 and did a lot to the motor outside of sleeving it. Cams, throttlebodies, EFI, airbox design... they tuned this motor for more linear and predictable power in the mid-range where the commuter/carver lives day to day. The features they removed from the FZ1 to create this bike were to bring the cost down to a competitive market already entrenched with other bikes.

It's not better or worse than an FZ1. It's got its own place in the rider's market at a price point that is more attractive knowing certain features are not available. Most of those can be fixed very cheaply with donor parts from its big brother, the FZ1... IF that is what you want. ;)

I've ALWAYS wanted the naked front but after riding the two FZ6 generations, I found the smaller fairing of the FZ1 to be a great compromise. If I ever have the unfortunate opportunity of cracking up the front, I'll likely go get the FZ1N Euro naked kit.

It certainly feels more nimble than the 1 but this is more due to the rear tire. If you put a 190 on the 8, you'll feel like you're riding the 1. If you put a 180 on the 1, you'll feel like the 8.

The 8 isn't as aggressive and unpredictable as the 1 but this is a great feature IMHO. Having the smoother and more linear throttle response and more "available" HP in the mid-range makes the bike quite a joy to ride as your daily commuter.

I see a lot of misconceptions regarding the 1 here but I'm guessing these are from riders who have not ridden the FZ1. I think you'd find the FZ1 to be as tame and nimble with only a couple small changes but even as is, I think it's a lot closer to the 8 than you believe.

All that said, if the 8 had significantly better MPG, I'd like to have one as my daily rider and leave the beastly 1 for the weekends. :D

Lee_533

I don't understand why you would want more power. I ride with and GSXR 600, GSXR 1000, GSXR 750, and ZX1000R...and I keep up just fine. There are still speed limits and if you know how to corner, you can keep up with almost anyone. I love my FZ8 and I've ridden a GSXR600. The FZ8 looks amazing (in fact, my buddy likes it over his GSXR) When do you need to go 160 mph? and when do you need the power to go from 0-60 mph in 2 seconds? The FZ8 gets better fuel mileage, has a better look, and has plenty of power. I actually went to the dealership to buy a Honda CBR600, but after I saw the FZ8 in a catalog, I wanted it. If you want more power and you already have the FZ8, re-gear it. You can get the power you want.

C

Camo

Cobalt, I've ridden the FZ1 and wasn't overwhelmed by any unpredictability or immense power?
It actually felt alot slower then the 8 until I hit the freeway and seems some what cumbersome in the slow speed corners...I think if I was going for 1000cc naked or even semi faired upright, a Yamaha wouldn't be my first choice. Not when you can get a Speed Triple or the new Aprillia who tick all those boxes and out blast the FZ1 in all areas other than price.

How much time have you spent in the saddle of the FZ8?

they tuned this motor for more linear and predictable power in the mid-range where the commuter/carver lives day to day.
Isn't that the range most everyone lives in? DO FZ1 riders live purely in the top end where the bike is built to excel?

H

Hoover

Cobalt, I've ridden the FZ1 and wasn't overwhelmed by any unpredictability or immense power?
It actually felt alot slower then the 8 until I hit the freeway and seems some what cumbersome in the slow speed corners...I think if I was going for 1000cc naked or even semi faired upright, a Yamaha wouldn't be my first choice. Not when you can get a Speed Triple or the new Aprillia who tick all those boxes and out blast the FZ1 in all areas other than price.

Isn't that the range most everyone lives in? DO FZ1 riders live purely in the top end where the bike is built to excel?

I am with you 100% on this. I have 2 riding friends that have the 1. They have both riden my 8 and love it, to the point that they are seriously thinking of trading. I have riden both of their 1's, both bikes modded in a similar fasion to mine and to be honest, although they feel quicker through the midrange, I don't care for them much. They do feel bulkier and less chuckable. Not really sure why, they just do.
I test rode a used FZ1 that my dealer had for the same price as my 8 when I bought mine and felt the same thing.
I do a shit load of city riding and just find the 8 up to the task better than anything I have ever owned.

FZ1inNH

Administrator

You weren't in the right RPM range to enjoy the FZ1. Yes, we do keep the RPMs above 7k for the fun stuff. On the highway, I drop to 2nd or 3rd and I'm at 7k and running away FAST. Where I commute, the bike isn't in it's HP range and is very tame. I have done some simple mods to assist in that range though. Once I get new headers, it's HP all over the ranges.

It's all in how you set the bike up. I went up an inch in the rear and down 1/2" in the front. I put in a 16T front sprocket and next tire will be the 55 instead of the 50 to raise the rear even more and crown the lean angle more. I find the bike extremely responsive in the corners... but I'm also 220 and the bike feels light and nimble to me frame/size. ;)

lothodon

Super Moderator
in all seriousness, had yamaha offered an fz1 naked that looked just like the fz8 i'd have been all over it.

i do find it rather shocking how many forum members are going hog wild with performance parts though. r1 shocks, forks, pcv... all in an effort to make it an fz1 really. i get it, but i have to agree with the op in that getting an fz1 and making it naked may have been a cheaper option by the time you're done...

however, modding is HELLA FUN!!!

TeleRob

I do find it rather shocking how many forum members are going hog wild with performance parts though. r1 shocks, forks, pcv... all in an effort to make it an fz1 really.

I'm just trying to get to the point where the bike will work for me, like it does a 180lb rider. I'd have probably done some of that with an FZ1 too.

C

Camo

You weren't in the right RPM range to enjoy the FZ1. Yes, we do keep the RPMs above 7k for the fun stuff. On the highway, I drop to 2nd or 3rd and I'm at 7k and running away FAST. Where I commute, the bike isn't in it's HP range and is very tame. I have done some simple mods to assist in that range though. Once I get new headers, it's HP all over the ranges.

It's all in how you set the bike up. I went up an inch in the rear and down 1/2" in the front. I put in a 16T front sprocket and next tire will be the 55 instead of the 50 to raise the rear even more and crown the lean angle more. I find the bike extremely responsive in the corners... but I'm also 220 and the bike feels light and nimble to me frame/size. ;)

I wasn't in the right RPM range to enjoy the FZ1? That's an odd assumption to make.
You'll find most riders will be bouncing the needle above 7 grand in the fun stuff no matter what they ride.
I still think that half the people riding a 1000cc bike have no idea or the skill to ride to it's capability and that no matter what 'setup' you run on any bike, it ultimately comes down to the rider. Then there's the 45% that have one purly so they can puff out their chest and say that they do infact ride a thousand...Not making any personal attacks here but just going off of personal experience.
I didn't buy an FZ1 because I didn't like it.
I've ridden an '09 on more then one occasion so I'm not just going off what others have to say, they're just not that impressive.

in all seriousness, had yamaha offered an fz1 naked that looked just like the fz8 i'd have been all over it.

i do find it rather shocking how many forum members are going hog wild with performance parts though. r1 shocks, forks, pcv... all in an effort to make it an fz1 really. i get it, but i have to agree with the op in that getting an fz1 and making it naked may have been a cheaper option by the time you're done...

however, modding is HELLA FUN!!!
We can buy the naked FZ1 here in Australia and I didn't dig it.
What's so shocking about changing out non/barely adjustable suspension for better stuff out of the Yammy parts bin? It's a cheaper way of making the bike what it really should have been right out of the box.
I'm not in any way trying to replicate an FZ1 with my mods. R1 front forks with 6 pot callipers provides better braking and a more stable front end. The FZ1 rear shock is just a temporary fix to provide some adjustability and I'll be getting it setup for my weight...And by the way the shock was 50 dollars posted and the spring will be 125 so a very cheap fix ;)

Plainly put they are two separate bikes aimed at a very similar target audience.
You ride what you like and I'll do the same.
Opinions based on zero saddle time or bike comparisons on two very different bikes always lends itself to a huge level of posturing and horse shit.:2cents:

Sschwar4

Opinions based on zero saddle time or bike comparisons on two very different bikes always lends itself to a huge level of posturing and horse shit.:2cents:

Zero saddle time? You may be making a poor assumption. Here is my experience, lately.
2004 FZ1 full faired - 21000 miles

2007 YZF600r - 6000 miles

2009 YZFR1 - 6000 miles

2003 YZFR6 - 5000 miles

2011 FZ8 - 5100 miles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
C

Camo

That was not directed at you Sschwar4. My apologies if you mistook my post.
It was more directed at opinions on our bike given by those that do not or have not ridden one.

DownhomeMoto

Zero saddle time? You may be making a poor assumption. Here is my experience, lately.
2004 FZ1 full faired - 21000 miles

2007 YZF600r - 6000 miles

2003 YZFR6 - 5000 miles

2009 YZFR1 - 6000 miles

2011 FZ8 - 5100 miles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think you need more seat time.... You don't even know the difference between an r1 and an r6...lol...:eek:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Black Widow

Avid Rider
The above pictures prove one thing for sure......the naked FZ8 is by far the best looking bad ass bike of the lot.

GarryM

I test rode both the naked FZ1 and FZ8 and was very very close to buying the FZ1. I liked the look of the FZ8 better and didn't think I needed the extra power of the FZ1. In the end the final tipping point was the price difference. I was only intending to use it as a weekend play thing so the extra $$$ for the FZ1 was hard to justify. However even though I'm loving the FZ8 after my mods if I was doing it all again I would definitely go the naked FZ1 primarily because of the better chassis.