Smog Plates

djcecil

Yamaha Smog Block Off Plates R1 R6 FZ1 FZ6 | eBay

bought these, they worked fine with minor mod, a drill bit or dremmil to move the (when plate on back) right indent down and to the right, there is a pin on top of the reeds that does not match up with these holes, graves for 20 more bucks has a lot more shaved out of the plates. no more clicking of the servo when you crack the throttle or when enginge braking. removing the radiator boltls and the ziptie holding the tubing and fan power on left side of bike was the way to go, testing that no engine light comes on after removal, well that radiatior bolt at bottom by headers caused a couple little stings.
Worked great,here are pics of the removed part.

impostor1981

I see no point in that unless you gain some extra HP or TQ otherwise loss of weit comparable to rider emptying his pockets before getting on the bike ( or having a sh!t prior to ride :p)

djcecil

my readings showed that you can not properly dyno a bike that is injecting air into the exhaust. so, since i found them for less than half the cost, and if 18 bucks gets me 0.00025 hp, at least its something. pipe, power commander + autotune, and a trip to the dyno are this and next month, well and maybe longer if i don't keep buying bolt ons.
(and this removal did get rid of the servo clac clac that honestly did bug the crap out of me)

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
Hmm.. I suppose if one were to competively use an FZ8, then I would also block off the openings, but more for the reason of having one less electrical circuit and part to keep in consideration.
Since we all are daily riding our motorcycles, I can't really imagine this having a significant or noticeable affect on performance, with or without a tune. Should one decide to tune their FZ8, the solenoid could simply be disconnected for proper AFR readings.

I'd imagine the exhaust may be more likely to back fire now. The exhaust and the piping may get hotter. I couldn't say how much though. It would depend on how well Yamaha designed the exhaust for a strong venturi effect to really pull in ambient, fresh air.

Happy to know (and a bit surprised) that no CEL came on since the solenoid has been disconnected.

Thank you for the write up. Could you post a picture of exactly what you needed to modify? (For reference for others) :)

Last edited:

SpunkyTheTuna

Why didn't you pull the reeds while you were in there and then not have to mess with clearancing the covers? As I understand it, the reeds are only there to act as one-way valves to allow pressure to be released into that air injection plumbing, and since you're sealing that off anyhow, do the reed valves even have any function now?

D

Deleted member 438

I bought the graves block off plates for 29.99. I ended up plugging the AIS instead of doing the plates, and I figure I'll just wait until I have to change the spark plugs to do the job properly.

daniel327

I'd imagine the exhaust may be more likely to back fire now.

It will actually back fire less, as there is less air in the exhaust to assist burning any fuel which has passed through the combustion chamber without being burned.

An easier way to achieve this, without spending a lot of money, modifying or removing anything, is to jamb a large ball bearing in the hose.

djcecil

no backfires at all, no pictures as i got too excited to do the work. you leave reeds in as they are part of sealing the port. and only did for the heck of it to be honest, less than twenty for the plates is not much seeing as how riding the bike vs the v8 truck saves me more than that a week. the plate mod is very easy to see as the reeds set on the plate show you that our pin on reed plate is off by very little, if you know how to get the stock ones off, you can easily see what i am talking about. we noticed it when putting together, the block off plate would not sit flat, so without forcing the issue took back off and saw the problem. plut where they touch marks the plate anyway. still no issues at all and not a single odd anything and i do not miss the solinoid clack. mine might have been xtra loud and that is why i am the only one that did not like it

SpunkyTheTuna

You're not alone in disliking the solenoid clack. I'll likely be doing the same thing this week end sometime. Glad you mentioned dropping the radiator to get at the plates. I was looking at getting at them from the top and that won't work nearly as well.

Dannyboy

Yamaha Smog Block Off Plates R1 R6 FZ1 FZ6 | eBay

no more clicking of the servo when you crack the throttle or when enginge braking.

what do you mean when you say clicking/clacking? I have noticed if I take off from standstill and let the clutch out a little bit too much with not enough throttle I get a kind of clacking sound......is this what you mean?

Keen to do the AIS / SMOG plates blockoff also as since I got my PCV and Akrapovic slip on the decel popping in pretty noticeable...especially when the db killer is removed from the slip on....havent had the bike dynoed yet, which is next...should I do the smog plates b4 I get it done at dynojet??

SpunkyTheTuna

what do you mean when you say clicking/clacking? I have noticed if I take off from standstill and let the clutch out a little bit too much with not enough throttle I get a kind of clacking sound......is this what you mean?

Keen to do the AIS / SMOG plates blockoff also as since I got my PCV and Akrapovic slip on the decel popping in pretty noticeable...especially when the db killer is removed from the slip on....havent had the bike dynoed yet, which is next...should I do the smog plates b4 I get it done at dynojet??

Nope, that's not what I mean. What you're hearing is probably pinging from pre-ignition, not the AIS solenoid.

The AIS system injects air into the exhaust downwind from the combustion event, so it has nothing to do with air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. It will, however give inaccurate readings of mixture in the exhaust, so I would do the blockoff plates or plug the AIS system before getting a custom map created for a Power Commander.

Crazywb23

I never noticed,

I got PC-5, Two brothers full pipe, and K-N high flow on my FZ-8 raven and have absolutely no problem constantly smoking the crap out of my father-in-law on his Cb1000r. I still have the smog pump and the cat. on mine, and probably plan on leaving them until which time I move out of California. :2cents:

kbrink

Has anyone tried simply unplugging/disconnecting the AIS pump, and leaving the system on and intact? Just didn't know if this would have the same results as the smog plates, without removing anything. Or do you have to plug the hose to help with the backfiring issue?

Thanks All..

Ride safe & have FUN!!!! :rmwl:

D

Deleted member 438

Has anyone tried simply unplugging/disconnecting the AIS pump, and leaving the system on and intact? Just didn't know if this would have the same results as the smog plates, without removing anything. Or do you have to plug the hose to help with the backfiring issue?

Thanks All..

Ride safe & have FUN!!!! :rmwl:

I plugged it at first 'cause it was easier than installing the plates. You can do either or, and they have the same result.

kbrink

Does the hose have to be plugged/blocked or can I just disconnect the wire connector and leave the hose unblocked?

SpunkyTheTuna

Does the hose have to be plugged/blocked or can I just disconnect the wire connector and leave the hose unblocked?

Since the solenoid opens only under certain circumstances rather than being normally open, it'll probably have the same effect if you just unplug it as removing the whole apparatus would.

kbrink

I disconnected the selenoid today and will take it for a ride tomorrow and find out what effect it has/had. Then I'll report back on the results.

kbrink

Well, the back firing has decreased, but its not gone. When letting off the throttle during shifts, it backfires about 1/2 of what it did before I unplugged the solenoid, and decel pops are about the same (which I don't mind). I'm not totally satisfied with the results, so I may try to plug the hose, as many have done and see how that works out.

For those who have "plugged" the AIS hose into the air box, were the back fires during shifting eliminated? :confused:

Thanks all.

D

Deleted member 438

If you plug the hose that goes to the airbox and the hole left in the airbox it will be just as effective as the plates.