Smog Plates

Hereward

i did it to remove the popping on deceleration as i live in town and go to work early in the morning. others do it for tuning as you cannot get an accurate air/fuel reading with the stock set up.

yamaha does it to meet emissions (i would imagine) and anything done for that is rarely to improve performance...on any vehicle.

Cheers for that, I'll keep my popping, and the bikes quick enough for what it is ;) I take it there is no performance gain simply by blocking this system up?

From what I understand from reading this the system simply introduces air to the exhaust to aid in eliminating unburt fuel in the exhaust system on overun.....thus the "popping" as the fuel is burnt as it hits the exhaust, this in turn simply lowers the emisions coming out the rear of the bike. The downside to this is the sensors used to read how much unburnt fuel is escaping combustion (in dyno tuning) dosn't get an acurate picture as the bike is getting rid of it before it reaches the sensor.

Wouldn't temporarily blocking the system be more benerficial, tune the excess fuel out on the fuel map the reinstate the system? I'm just wondering what effect excess unburnt fuel will have on the cat over an extended period of time? Personaly, if you have issue with the popping noise, change your riding style in built up areas, ie use less engine braking, run in a higher gear to reduce noise also, possibley fit a switch mounted on the bars to switch off the smog plate solunoid at times you want to keep the noise down. If there is no gain other than a reduction in overun popping this is a lot of work to simply increase the bikes emitions. obviously block it for the dyno but a permanent disconection of this system seems a bit OTT..........

This is obviously just my :2cents: and nothing more, for those who like to mod fill yer boots just I think there are more posertive mods which would be more rewarding of peoples time effort and money.

I shall now get back under my bridge, whilst apologising for sounding a bit condersending.......sorry guys, I can see a benerfit for some but it's such an extreeme solution for little reward, there must be easier alternatives.:)

lothodon

Super Moderator
to each their own. i do not consider time spent wrenching my bike to be a waste no matter what it is. to me it's a part of the fun of ownership.

Sschwar4

I pity the guy that buys your bike and has to have emissions done in 5 years. And if your the one selling it, it all comes back to you. Save all the original equipment!

Even just the slip-on alone can fail emissions. Not all are created equal.

Hereward

to each their own. i do not consider time spent wrenching my bike to be a waste no matter what it is. to me it's a part of the fun of ownership.

Therein speaks a true moder...........No like I said if thats your thing then nowt wrong with it, Personaly though I go with "if it ain't broke then leave it" :)
Though if it's going to make the bike run better then I'll happily pull the bike apart, just seems though with modern bikes the gains are outweighed by the cost and time it takes to mod them...........

I have an AKra pipe.......it adds about 3-4% more BHP and slightly smooths of the flat spot on the power curve.......costs a fortune for quite a small gain.............but again for those who like to mod the engines, every little is a plus and it's one more thing that makes there bike individual to them, I do get it I just don't if ya know what I mean LOL

FZER

Avid Rider
GA fortunately has no emmision checks, and no exhaust rules for motorcycles. :D So far the neighbors haven't complained about my motorcycle, but then again the neighbors directly beside my garage are just moving in. It's raining like hell today so the truck will only see the street today. Prior neighbors didn't seem to care. I do crank it up at 6:30 am.....sometimes 5:30 on weekend overtime.

FZER

Avid Rider
Yamaha Smog Block Off Plates R1 R6 FZ1 FZ6 | eBay

bought these, they worked fine with minor mod, a drill bit or dremmil to move the (when plate on back) right indent down and to the right, there is a pin on top of the reeds that does not match up with these holes, graves for 20 more bucks has a lot more shaved out of the plates. no more clicking of the servo when you crack the throttle or when enginge braking. removing the radiator boltls and the ziptie holding the tubing and fan power on left side of bike was the way to go, testing that no engine light comes on after removal, well that radiatior bolt at bottom by headers caused a couple little stings.
Worked great,here are pics of the removed part.

R
[/

Do happen to remember how the servo detacts from the bike? From the picture it looks like it just pulls out correct? Any need to plug that hole?

FZER

Avid Rider
Thanks again Lyric! I know some of my question were a little stupid, but hopefully it just shows how much attention to detail I put into my bike/mods. I really hope I can make it up to TN two buy you a couple of your favorite beverages.

lyric911

Thanks again Lyric! I know some of my question were a little stupid, but hopefully it just shows how much attention to detail I put into my bike/mods. I really hope I can make it up to TN two buy you a couple of your favorite beverages.

No problem. The AIS removal was one of those things that really seemed like a puzzle, until I dove in. The most difficult part is the little amount of space you have available.

FZER

Avid Rider
Again thanks to everyone I like to think I'm pretty good with tools, hell my job title is electronics mechanic and I have tools in my hands all day, but this mod is pretty tough. Now give me something to solder and I'm your man unless it's beer thirty and my hands are starting to get shakey. That last part is a joke. It's usually the caffeine that gets me.

Sschwar4

Probably a dumb question, but can't you just plug the hole in the airbox only and take care of it all? It sounds like people are disconnecting the hose from the box, requiring two areas to be plugged.

You would miss the second reason for the removal, weight.

FZER

Avid Rider
They work like a charm, I might end up missing some of the popping because it really nearly all gone.

Mrpacis

That's funny because all I did was install a k&n filter and do the airbox mod and I don't hear the decel pops anymore.

FZER

Avid Rider
That's funny because all I did was install a k&n filter and do the airbox mod and I don't hear the decel pops anymore.

Wow that is very interesting. I wonder what all kinds of science is going on there. I find I enjoy wrenching almost as much as riding. There's something to be said for seeing a good plan coming together.

Mrpacis

I can honestly say I ride a lot. Already at 6000 miles only had the bike for 2 months. Maybe this decel pops are temporary? It disappears overtime? Maybe the airbox mod made a big part on this? Idk lol

V

Vapordan

No problem. The AIS removal was one of those things that really seemed like a puzzle, until I dove in. The most difficult part is the little amount of space you have available.

U should not have removed the AIS, it's an input into the ECU. I see this being recommended in here but I have my reservations. Did you notice any changes in the bike?

the borg

U should not have removed the AIS, it's an input into the ECU. I see this being recommended in here but I have my reservations. Did you notice any changes in the bike?

The AIS is like your appendix, you don't need it. It does nothing whatsoever to affect how the bike runs other than making the exhaust pop. I have removed it from every bike I have owned with no problems.

lyric911

I mean this in the nicest way possible - you need to stop giving advice regarding engines.

AIS removal is required for the PCV autotune to work properly. If the AIS is still functioning, the wideband O2 readings are not valid.

The only thing you'll notice if you aren't tuning your bike with a tailpipe sniffer or a wideband O2 is lower amounts off decel exhaust popping. It is not a performance mod.

V

Vapordan

I mean this in the nicest way possible - you need to stop giving advice regarding engines.

I'll give u the benefit of the doubt on your last passive aggressive comment though i seriously doubt you meant it in the nicest possible way. 

The purpose of the AIS is for emissions. Air is injected into the exhaust so that oxygen can force the hydrocarbons to burn and oxygen can be added to carbon monoxide to make carbon dioxide. The effectiveness of the AIS injection process is then monitored by the oxygen/lambda sensor and used as an input into the ECU to maintain and minimize AFR oscillation. The common misconception is that AFR is ok because it comes from the map. The problem is oscillation.

When you remove the AIS, the map still assumes that the AIS is connected but the load on the engine is the same. The AFR mix was suboptimal to begin with because complete combustion did not occur in the first place. The ECU is now signaling for an Increase in richness to the AFR to get rid of the extra fuel. Why? because the factory map dictates that complete combustion will never occur and treatment is always needed.

The reasons why I asked if you noticed any difference is that you should now be burning more gas though i am unsure if it is noticeable hence my question, with more soot deposits on your pipe and an AFR oscillation that should be greater than 1% because the AIS is not there to close the feed back loop. Most of Those changes ought to affect drive ability. Forgive me for not reading the 6 pages to know that an auto tune was added. It's one way to straighten out the map compromise. Its well understood that Variations in a rich AFR makes much less difference in power than the same variation in a lean AFR, just look at the AFR curve for proof. I wouldn't mess with that stuff simply because someone said it worked. You may think differently and that's the reason for my recommendation.

Lest you think this is all theory my old man was a mechanic for 40 years, i also spent 7 years in a motorcycle garage. nyway, it seems you have your panties all up in a bunch so I'm content to sit this out on the sideline.

Last edited by a moderator:

lothodon

Super Moderator
now now kids...i babysit at my job with old ladies enough, let's all be civil please.

my two cents... i think the unburned fuel that is in the exhaust after the ais block/removal was always there but doesn't burn without the ais injecting fresh air. sorry if that's a DUH comment but that's what leads me to believe there is no more fuel being added due to the ais disconnect.

the popping absence is because there is no fresh air to help ignite the fuel, but i never really considered the 'soot' left due to the gas. food for thought as it turns to 'tar' if it's too much (harley days, long story) and would be a mess.

i rather miss the popping and plan on attempting a reinstall of my ais should the heat of summer ever let up, especially since i will never do the pcv/autotune install.