Smog Plates

kbrink

If you plug the hose that goes to the air box and the hole left in the airbox it will be just as effective as the plates.

Thats exactly what I did, and the result is no backfiring at all no matter what rpm when you let off the throttle or during shifting! There is still a little "rumble" on decel (which is cool) but no backfire at all. It now sounds like the well engineered bike it is. :tup:

Thanks for the guidance guys!

frmtbiker

Thats exactly what I did, and the result is no backfiring at all no matter what rpm when you let off the throttle or during shifting! There is still a little "rumble" on decel (which is cool) but no backfire at all. It now sounds like the well engineered bike it is. :tup:

Thanks for the guidance guys!

Did you unplug the servo as well, or just plug the hose?

H

Hoover

will doing this void your warranty?

If it comes down to a legal fight, it sure will. The law in the US, states that warranties cannot be voided if a vehicle owner maintains his/her vehicle themselves as long as it is done within requirements.

However, if you alter/tamper with the manufacture's original design or intent and they can prove or even cast doubt that what you did caused failure, then you are screwed.
Remember, these companies are paying big bucks to keep lawyers on retainers just for this purpose. They don't care if it costs them more than if they settle, it is the reputation of their product they need to protect.
That being said, this motor is bullet proof and has a great record..take all the chances with mods you want, if it fails, you are the unlucky one.

Ott

If you plug the hose that goes to the airbox and the hole left in the airbox it will be just as effective as the plates.

Probably a dumb question, but can't you just plug the hole in the airbox only and take care of it all? It sounds like people are disconnecting the hose from the box, requiring two areas to be plugged.

D

Deleted member 438

Probably a dumb question, but can't you just plug the hole in the airbox only and take care of it all? It sounds like people are disconnecting the hose from the box, requiring two areas to be plugged.

That would also work. If you are just shoving a stopper in that hole you run the risk of having your engine ingesting it and causing all sorts of damage.

FZER

Avid Rider
I think my head just exploded....Plug this hole, plug that hole, unplug this soloid. Don't just plug the hole in the air box, because you could ingest something in the motor.... HELP!!!! Can someone show me or explain to me on the parts in the first slide where to plug hoses? Does the large hose go into the airbox?

D

Deleted member 438

I think my head just exploded....Plug this hole, plug that hole, unplug this soloid. Don't just plug the hole in the air box, because you could ingest something in the motor.... HELP!!!! Can someone show me or explain to me on the parts in the first slide where to plug hoses? Does the large hose go into the airbox?

Watch this video.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKpobkmydRY&feature=youtube_gdata_player]FZ1 Video Tutorials - PC3, Airbox Mod and AIS Blocking - YouTube[/ame]

Speedo007

Lately I've been noticing more crackling when on compression at certain rpms. I love the deep popping on deceleration, but theres a higher pitch crackling sound that is really annoying and almost sounds like headers are leaking...is this what this mod is supposed to address?

FZER

Avid Rider
I'd almost bet that noise you are hearing is the soloid. It's actually pretty loud and it is sort of high pitched. In the video the guy says it'll stop most of the backfiring, but you will have to disconnect soloid to stop that sound, not totally positive, hopefully someone else will chime in. I believe, because I wear earplugs all the time and my bike is all stock right now, the only noise I hear when backfiring is that soloid.

Yamacat1000

The mod simply riches your fuel mix to a more ideal ratio. Not like a PC would though. Since Ive done mine, it no longer sounds like a waste gate opening on heavy decel. I still get the tiny crackling noise your talking about, probably just a little lean pop in my exhaust. Nothin a little tuning wont fix. Bike most deffinately runs better with caps in place.

lyric911

The mod simply riches your fuel mix to a more ideal ratio. Not like a PC would though. Since Ive done mine, it no longer sounds like a waste gate opening on heavy decel. I still get the tiny crackling noise your talking about, probably just a little lean pop in my exhaust. Nothin a little tuning wont fix. Bike most deffinately runs better with caps in place.

Are you referring to the smog block off plates/AIS removal? If so, it does nothing at all to change the AFR in the combustion chamber. It only affects the dumping of air into the exhaust.

FZER

Avid Rider
Are you referring to the smog block off plates/AIS removal? If so, it does nothing at all to change the AFR in the combustion chamber. It only affects the dumping of air into the exhaust.

This is all very new to me, so in the first photo on the first page is all that in the front of the bike? Do you still need to block the hole that the hose come off?

lyric911

This is all very new to me, so in the first photo on the first page is all that in the front of the bike? Do you still need to block the hole that the hose come off?

Yes, that's on the front of the bike. If you don't block the hole, unfiltered air can make it to the combustion chamber.

FZER

Avid Rider
Yes, that's on the front of the bike. If you don't block the hole, unfiltered air can make it to the combustion chamber.

To plug that hole I'll have to get to the airbox under the tank right? Sorry for all the questions.

lothodon

Super Moderator
yes, the hole is on the underside of the lower half of the airbox and you have to lift the tank to get to it.

Hereward

Why are you all doing this again? There's no benerfit other than the sound of a solunoid opening and closeing occasionaly (the exhaust pop is liked by some) There is no gain in performance..........is there a loss in performance? why would Yamaha put this system on if it wansn't for a posertive reason? so talking it off would result in a negative result?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to why people are doing this?

lothodon

Super Moderator
i did it to remove the popping on deceleration as i live in town and go to work early in the morning. others do it for tuning as you cannot get an accurate air/fuel reading with the stock set up.

yamaha does it to meet emissions (i would imagine) and anything done for that is rarely to improve performance...on any vehicle.