*Rear Suspension Arm Failures* PLEASE READ

bighurt35

I was looking at getting a reduced price fz8, should it bother me, is it possible to swap with fz1 part? will Yamaha be forced to come out with a replacement part?:confused:

GarryM

If you used some form of washer to stop the linkage sliding through the bearing it would have to be thin nylon or similar to allow everything to move.

The rub marks are nothing to worry about guys. I checked the parts diagram from an R1 and they don't use any thrust washers either. If you are really worried pull off the link plates and check to see if they are bent. It's a 5 minute job. Take the weight off the back wheel and undo 3 bolts.

07cobaltLScoupe

i know as of now mine aren't bent so i guess i'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens. if it keeps rubbing i'm sure i'll be able to find some sort of fix (as long as nothing is bent) before i go to the dealer for warranty. i know a few people that are master welders/fabricators so i'm sure we could figure something out

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I checked my arms today and took a couple of pictures. They appear to be straight with no rubbing. The second picture shows that there is a little clearance between the arms and the dog bone. I didn't take the arms off to inspect them. I'm old and not in the best of health and don't have anyone to help me. I wonder why the other bikes don't have any clearance. I have 2348 miles on the bike and I weigh 270 lbs with gear on, but I don't carry a passenger.

Last edited:

F3NIX

One of the problems with fabricating new arms with a stronger material is that it will stress different areas of the current design. Alot of these parts are designed to "give" to prevent something even more disasterous from happening. If there is going to be an aftermarket part made, the entire assembly needs to be completely redesigned not just part of it. I will talk to a friend of mine that is an engineer...im sure he can enlighten us a bit with whats involved

Sent from my phone

amevl

I have an 08 FZ1 with 30k miles on it and our setup must be about identical since our shock bolts right up.I had all my suspension parts powdecoated black and have had no issues.I.m thinkin the metals are inferior quality causing the failure

NoNine4me

6000 miles, just looked at mine and they are perfect. 2012 model. I think with any bike there are going to be examples of issues that are specific to that one bike, not all of them. In one case the shock failed first. However I think these components bear regular inspection, especially for heavier riders or if ridden on rough roads.

FastZ8

If you used some form of washer to stop the linkage sliding through the bearing it would have to be thin nylon or similar to allow everything to move.

The rub marks are nothing to worry about guys. I checked the parts diagram from an R1 and they don't use any thrust washers either. If you are really worried pull off the link plates and check to see if they are bent. It's a 5 minute job. Take the weight off the back wheel and undo 3 bolts.

Mine has 3700 miles on it all stock suspension settings and I usually ride alone and don't stunt or do wheelies or any really any hard riding and I have had a passenger probably 300 or 400 miles max and I only weigh about 150 with full gear and mine has a couple of small marks on the left hand side "chain side" but do not appear to be bent...I'll keep an eye on them though just in case. So you say the marks aren't a big issue..?

Last edited:

FaZerick8

4,000 miles (2011 model - ride double 80%) just inspected the rear components and they look like new. I agree with NoNine4me and I will be performing regular inspections.

AndyS

Banned
Is this real? I bought my bike used. The owner before me was a bigger guy. Do i need to worry? It looks ok now

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Is this real? I bought my bike used. The owner before me was a bigger guy. Do i need to worry? It looks ok now

Yeah it's real, but we don't know why or whom it affects, we created this thread so new people and old owners would hopefully see it and check theirs!

Glad yours is ok.

Geezer

Ok, so far ...

Just went out to the garage to look at mine and they look fine but I will keep checking on them. Thanks for the information.

Danger

So all of this bending is bad right? 162 lbs. and absolutely no stunting or those shenanigans.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

JSP

Administrator
Yeah. I was cleaning it and figured I'd check. I kind of forgot about this thread. Yipes! Anyone getting traction with Yamaha or dealers?

Yes that is very bad.

Another added to the list... Dang. Keep checking these things guys!

Bram

Just checked mine.
No signs of any kind of scratches, cracks or bending.

2012 fz8 with 5000 km

DSmith

So all of this bending is bad right? 162 lbs. and absolutely no stunting or those shenanigans.

Wow thats one of the worst pictures on this thread. Hopefully Yamaha does something to rectify this. Any of you guys with suspension failures have any luck with your dealers?