*Rear Suspension Arm Failures* PLEASE READ

JSP

Administrator
Ok. There is a trend happening and there have been at least 3 confirmed instances on this forum of it happening. EDIT: Possibly 4 now... Please inspect your arms and if any sign of damage, contact Yamaha and file with NHTSA. This is a serious safety issue.

http://www.779cc.org/forum/garage-mechanical-help/3160-rear-suspension-rear-arm-relay-bent.html

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-general-discussion/1256-rear-suspension-failure.html

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-general-discussion/3515-so-happened.html

Some pictures from those threads: There should be no bend in these arms at all. Inspect them for any scraping like you see in these pics. If you get scraping, they are bent a little and then it will just get worse, catch on the arm and bend/break like you see in the following pics.

Roadkill's Bike:

LitzerSki's Bike:

Rotaryknight's Bike:

Pigdog's Bike TBD (waiting for pics):

Last edited:

b-eock

Regular street riding... Even with my stunting and "bouncing" the bike this hasn't happened to mine...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

RoadKill

i don't stunt it happened to me. also it happened to a guy with 700 miles on his 2013. he is a new rider and doesnt ride much. he works at the dealership.
Yamaha is working with New York Motorcycle on this issue now so if you report it, it will be VERY useful.

Last edited:

HenryT

Even if you were "stunting" this should not happen. I would only accept this type of failure if there was some sort of very major crash/impact. This could get someone killed. Are you listening Yamaha :)

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

I rarely do wheelies, when my bike started to felt weird I hadn't done any wheelies in 2 weeks. Those 2 weeks also fell into the time span of when I installed my exhaust and I didn't see the rest suspension bending like that. This is pretty damn scary that I haven't crashed from it.

F3NIX

So glad you caught that man. Wow. I will be doing an inspection from now on. Does it have something to do with heat from the exhaust? Are you running a custom exhaust or slipon? Just curious

Sent from my phone

Marthy

I'm really curious about the issue. Anyone has a clear picture of the whole rear suspension assembly? I'm tying to understand...

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Time to go check, It might be a good idea for the OPs to chime in on their weight. I'm 250 and I imagine this would happen sooner to me than it would to someone light.

pigdog

i just inspected my relay arm & its starting to scrape the brackets. i have 700mi on the odometer. reported it to NHTSA

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

Time to go check, It might be a good idea for the OPs to chime in on their weight. I'm 250 and I imagine this would happen sooner to me than it would to someone light.

I am 208 pounds I thought it was my weight too but....pretty sure the bike can handle up to 260 pounds or so

b-eock

I've had a 400 pound load on it and it was fine...

F3NIX

I would hope that a bike with a rear seat woukd be able to carry a minimum of 400lbs. It should be engineered to carry 3 times that.

Sent from my phone

b-eock

Max load of the bike is like 437 combined rider weights...

RoadKill

i am 179 pounds. 2012 FZ8. had about 10k miles on it when the relay arm failed.

Last edited:

b-eock

I'm 185 and been there for months.! I used to be 230 at the beginning of the year. So that tells you the work I put in on the bike.

JSP

Administrator
i just inspected my relay arm & its starting to scrape the brackets. i have 700mi on the odometer. reported it to NHTSA

Please post pictures up. If it is scraping, then it seems it is slightly bent. That slight bend will give out like the above pics. Please post some pics here if you can.

rail

I'm just curious what are the year and manufacture dates of your guys' bikes? Just in case there is a trend there... Not sure what 3 data points will tell us but couldn't hurt.

Edit - nvm saw it in the original threads under OP info. 2011 - 2012.

Last edited: