*Rear Suspension Arm Failures* PLEASE READ

Rotaryknight

So all of this bending is bad right? 162 lbs. and absolutely no stunting or those shenanigans.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

damn, that is pretty bad. On the bright side yours bent away from the dogbone so you dont have to replace that if it didnt touch it lol.

JDZIII

Thanks for the heads up

xHey guys I havent checked my 2012 fz8 yet but I will. What im seeing from your picks doesnt look like a weight issue. Theres two things it could be or it might be both.

1. This particular part has a defect in the metal causing it to warp like that.

2. Theres something wrong with that particular parts design. Look at the inner shape. A triangle is supposed to be one of the strongest shapes for materials to be formed from. I think its the slight arcs on the inner triangle that may cause it.

If its a rubbing or friction issue or you worried about the rubbing, try archoils ar2600. www.archoilchart.com

I got it for my chain, clutch and brake lever lines. After seeing this I'm putting some on there for my spring maintianence for sure.

Last edited:

Bajaedition

triangles are that strong, and it is not bending the triangle it is bending on another plane folding the triangle

Danger

What do you think? Problem with the metal?

I think it is. I work at a non-destructive industrial testing lab so this is up our alley. I'm going to PMI it to see what the metal alloy is. In my opinion, it looks like a metallurgical defect because, as stated earlier, it'd be impossible for me to produce enough force to do this. Riding it to the dealer Monday. More info to come.

Bam Bam

I am wondering if this issue is due in part to the spring on the rear shock being very soft I have noticed when exiting the turn hard that the shock has bottomed out. That being said the when the shock bottoms out load would have to be absorbed somewhere in turn bending the side plates. Race techs spring calculator say that the spring is to soft for a 150lbs rider.
http://racetech.com/

Last edited:

fz8bikr

so, I checked my bike this morning and apparently, the suspension arms are ok, but i noticed that one arm is more closer to the "dog bone" so idk if there's a problem with that.

Last edited:

Danger

So my bike is at Coyote Motorsports in Denver. They talked to Yamaha, and the part/labor will be covered on replacement rear suspension arms. I hope this thread gets everyone to check and/or replace these parts, whether there is a full-on recall or not. I am thankful no one has had a catastrophic failure mid-corner, yet. I really don't want us to be memorializing someone on this forum because of this situation. Ride safe guys.

Danger

So before work today I picked up my bike from the shop. Yamaha told the dealer they'd never heard of this problem before :mad: and they also needed the bent parts returned to them. I understand them wanting the parts back. So no charge to me, just the danger of riding around with those bent arms, good thing Danger is my middle name.

rug_burn

You know, it's funny- both me and my boss, mechanical engineers both who are into it (he's actually designed a very trick suspension for his quad 4 person bike), could not easily figure out what the general load direction was- those links are hard to figure... but I'd bet that someone bottomed out those suspensions very hard.

Danger

You know, it's funny- both me and my boss, mechanical engineers both who are into it (he's actually designed a very trick suspension for his quad 4 person bike), could not easily figure out what the general load direction was- those links are hard to figure... but I'd bet that someone bottomed out those suspensions very hard.

You're wrong. You lose your bet.

Woody146

Banned
So before work today I picked up my bike from the shop. Yamaha told the dealer they'd never heard of this problem before :mad: and they also needed the bent parts returned to them. I understand them wanting the parts back. So no charge to me, just the danger of riding around with those bent arms, good thing Danger is my middle name.

Glad you got it fixed! Do you like to sit indoors with your helmet on?? Afraid of falling ceiling tiles? Lol jk