*Rear Suspension Arm Failures* PLEASE READ

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
This is alarming. I'm a heavy guy (270) so I'm going to check mine when I get home. Thank you very much for the heads up.

97audia4

that is the only real scraping i have it doesnt look bent that much, and I have made a couple 100 mile long trips with the gf and Im 230 and she is about 110

pigdog

i got an e-mail from NHTSA after reporting this problem & they will stay in contact. please contact them & voice your concerns so we can move forward to correct this deadly defect. we all need to act now. those of us with pics of any rubbing, cracks, or bent parts should be included with your complaint. thanks.

DSmith

So there should be no rubbing marks on the suspension arms at all? There not supposed to come in contact with eachother correct?

GarryM

Here is mine

I just checked mine and it looks like 97audia4's. The arm doesn't look bent, just some light scuffing on the right side of the swingarm connection point.

30,000km of normal street riding, I'm 75kg and never carried a pillion.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Mine looks OK still, but I'd be interested in some data gathering. If you've had some warpage/damage of the part, please do post some info:

For me it would be:

Bike: US 2013 FZ8-N (not CA)
Miles: 7,085 (11,402km)
Rider weight: 240lbs geared (109 kg)
Max including passenger: 410lbs geared (186 kg)
Significant events: no crashes, drops, major potholes, etc.
Suspension:
Stock
Rear preload: max
Front preload: +4.5 flats (not sure how to measure this)
Damping: factory settings
Static sag: 41mm front / 41mm rear​

Please note, I'm still fine - I'm just trying to gather some ideas as to what might be causing this. Ideas I'm floating:
  • Spring/damping too soft, causing it to bottom out
  • Preload too high for rider, increasing momentary shock
  • Wrong metal provided by supplier (any metallurgists watching?)

pigdog

hey garrym, your pic is a perfect example of how rear suspension bracketing starts to fail. please sound off to yamaha.

Last edited:

07cobaltLScoupe

welp just checked mine and it looks like it's starting to slightly rub on the right side, you can see the scoring in the metal

2012 FZ8
currently at 2460 miles or so
i'm 6'2" 150lbs

all stock suspension, only mods are in my sig. here's a pic

HenryT

Mine looks OK still, but I'd be interested in some data gathering. If you've had some warpage/damage of the part, please do post some info:

For me it would be:

Bike: US 2013 FZ8-N (not CA)
Miles: 7,085 (11,402km)
Rider weight: 240lbs geared (109 kg)
Max including passenger: 410lbs geared (186 kg)
Significant events: no crashes, drops, major potholes, etc.
Suspension:
Stock
Rear preload: max
Front preload: +4.5 flats (not sure how to measure this)
Damping: factory settings
Static sag: 41mm front / 41mm rear​

Please note, I'm still fine - I'm just trying to gather some ideas as to what might be causing this. Ideas I'm floating:
  • Spring/damping too soft, causing it to bottom out
  • Preload too high for rider, increasing momentary shock
  • Wrong metal provided by supplier (any metallurgists watching?)

The suspension settings are irrelevant as is the weight, unless grossly overloaded. As the owner of a new bike this should be the last thing you should be thinking about! I may look harder at the FZ 09 for my next bike now with this going on.....

My best guess is the parts were faulty metallurgy wise, otherwise I would think this would be more widespread. The piece also looks a bit under engineered ie; too thin.

GarryM

I did some further investigations today and I'm happy to report that everything is perfectly normal and there is no impending doom. With my bike anyway.

I took my relay arms off and had a look. They are both perfectly straight, not bent and no sign of cracking. They do have some wear marks where they have been rubbing against the swing arm mount and dog bone though.

The rubbing on the swing arm and dog bone is normal because there are no thrust washers on the bearings. So it's possible to move the relay arms from side to side because the bearing inner races can slide from side to side through the bearings. This means that the relay arms will rub against all the other linkage components.

It seems like a really dumb design from Yamaha as, over time, the swing arm mount and dog bone will wear but that's the way they've designed it. I've never checked if there has been any side to side play in the suspension linkage of any of my other bikes but if they didn't have thrust washers then I suspect there was.

Gem rod

welp just checked mine and it looks like it's starting to slightly rub on the right side, you can see the scoring in the metal

2012 FZ8
currently at 2460 miles or so
i'm 6'2" 150lbs

all stock suspension, only mods are in my sig. here's a pic

Mine has this too. On the LHS there appears to be a small gap so no abrasion can occur there. Will greasing help? I realise that will attract dirt but can't think what else would work?

07cobaltLScoupe

well from what Garry said the link is able to slide on that bottom bolt from side to side so greasing wouldn't really help. the only thing that will help is to put a washer on each side of the link to keep the space even on both sides but i haven't looked at mine good enough to see if that's possible. maybe i'll get a chance to look later on today or Garry can chime in again and say if it's possible to be spaced with washers or not

Gem rod

well from what Garry said the link is able to slide on that bottom bolt from side to side so greasing wouldn't really help. the only thing that will help is to put a washer on each side of the link to keep the space even on both sides but i haven't looked at mine good enough to see if that's possible. maybe i'll get a chance to look later on today or Garry can chime in again and say if it's possible to be spaced with washers or not

OK - at least it's all accessible. There does appear to be enough threads to get a washer on. Is the nut some kind of self-locking type?

RoadKill

that looks good if you could NOT lower the bike. i had it lower when the linkage bent an i did not like the way it handled.

FZ8Ryder

Yeah that's the problem is there is only ones to lower or raise the suspension but nothing for just a replacement and keep it the same height. It would be best if someone here knew a person capable of fabricating some same size suspension arms but with better material.