Power Commander

mano1192

I should have my power commander installed by weeks end, problem is there is no tune for aftermarket exhaust or air filter. Luckily Vegas has 2 tune centers near the speedway track. I emailed them to find out the process and how long it takes to have them create a custom tune for the bike. If the tune turns out good Ill upload it here for anyone interested.

Does anyone else have a tune for aftermarket exhaust and intake? I have a two brothers exhaust and a K&N air filter.

D

Deleted member 438

Tune

I'm also getting mine tuned, but I'll be running an Akra slip on. I already blocked the AIS and now I'm just waiting for the air filter and PCV. We should create our own database of maps as we get our bikes tuned.

mano1192

got a email back from Dynojet today, they are going to tune my bike for free and the tune will end up on their site for download.

trixster8

Is anyone considering on getting the autotune kit for the PCV? It's another $260. I don't plan on dynoing my bike, so I might consider it. But we'll have to see how Mano's tune goes, and it works with other exhausts.

D

Deleted member 438

Is anyone considering on getting the autotune kit for the PCV? It's another $260. I don't plan on dynoing my bike, so I might consider it. But we'll have to see how Mano's tune goes, and it works with other exhausts.

I wouldn't mind having the autotune, but I'm not sure if we need to weld another o2 bung or if we just replace our current o2 sensor with the wideband from the kit? Do any of you know exactly what it is that we have to to make this work?

mano1192

Quick update - after a couple days of riding with the PC and uploaded stock tune in, I must say its really fun! The gears are evenly spaced for a nice smooth ride. It shifts alot more smoothly and the acceleration is good. I find myself shifting around 8k more when I used to shift around 6-7k. Makes it for better smoother ride all around.

I have yet to get time to have the bike tuned I hope to drop it off tomorrow after work. But no rush here :)

trixster8

I'm pretty sure it replaces the stock O2 sensor, but just to be safe, I just emailed their tech support. I'll let you know what they say.

Speedo007

Quick update - after a couple days of riding with the PC and uploaded stock tune in, I must say its really fun! The gears are evenly spaced for a nice smooth ride. It shifts alot more smoothly and the acceleration is good. I find myself shifting around 8k more when I used to shift around 6-7k. Makes it for better smoother ride all around.

I have yet to get time to have the bike tuned I hope to drop it off tomorrow after work. But no rush here :)

Have you noticed any change on the 0-5000rpm power in first gear? It's the only part of the bike killing me, the first part of the acceleration is so lifeless...almost feels like a turbo engine, once you hit 6000rpm its a totally different bike!

FZ8Grid

Have you noticed any change on the 0-5000rpm power in first gear? It's the only part of the bike killing me, the first part of the acceleration is so lifeless...almost feels like a turbo engine, once you hit 6000rpm its a totally different bike!

I think they intended that. That way you had a smooth city cruising kinda feel.

I actually like that factor.

Ivy33

Have any of you experienced when the bike feels "low key" until it hits about 10 mph and then feels almost like a turbo kicks in afterwards? Or is that just my FZ8? I'm talking low RPMs, 2000-3000.

trixster8

I wouldn't mind having the autotune, but I'm not sure if we need to weld another o2 bung or if we just replace our current o2 sensor with the wideband from the kit? Do any of you know exactly what it is that we have to to make this work?

Here's what they had to say about the 02 sensor.

"The Auto-tune comes supplied with a weld in bung. Some bike models are equipped with a M18x1.5 bung for the stock o2 sensor, which is usually disabled. If this is the case on your bike, then you can use the existing bung. Otherwise, you must weld in a new bung for Auto-tune. Let me know if you have any further questions."

Ivy33

In real-world terms, what does PC5 do to the bike's mpg? How much of a loss (or even a gain) can one expect?

Or is this even a realistic question to ask given differing riding styles?

D

Deleted member 438

Here's what they had to say about the 02 sensor.

"The Auto-tune comes supplied with a weld in bung. Some bike models are equipped with a M18x1.5 bung for the stock o2 sensor, which is usually disabled. If this is the case on your bike, then you can use the existing bung. Otherwise, you must weld in a new bung for Auto-tune. Let me know if you have any further questions."

Now we just need to find out how to disable the stock o2 then. I'm on it.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i think you misread that dr.doom. the way i read it IF the fz8 has the factory o2 sensor with the same mount you simply disconnect the factory (remove) and replace it with the power commander o2 sensor. if the threads are different you'd need to again remove the factory sensor and weld/install the power commander o2 sensor in it's place.

D

Deleted member 438

i think you misread that dr.doom. the way i read it IF the fz8 has the factory o2 sensor with the same mount you simply disconnect the factory (remove) and replace it with the power commander o2 sensor. if the threads are different you'd need to again remove the factory sensor and weld/install the power commander o2 sensor in it's place.

Now I'm confused.
This is directly from the power commander website:
http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/UserGuides/AT200/AT-200.pdf
"Many stock and aftermarket exhausts come equipped with an O2 sensor. If your system uses a M18x1.5mm thread then you can simply use this location for the Auto tune sensor. If you have to drill a hole for a new bung (mild steel bung included), we recommend doing so before the catalytic converter (if applicable). Positioning the weld bung in a location where multiple cylinders collect is the preferred location. If your application has a “2-into-2”design, it’s recommended to position the weld bung /sensor approximately 6” from the exhaust port on the respective cylinder you wish to tune."

mano1192

I dropped the bike off at the DynoJet headquaters, what a awesome facility! They have car dynos, 2 bike dyno rooms, a huge warehouse and a large call center. I was fortunate to get the guy helping me to give me a tour, even met the CEO! Great company, great products. They actuallly manufacturer all their units in Montana, gotta love a company thats still 100% american made.

Anyway I dropped the bike off and hope to pick it up friday around noon. They are going to get a couple tunes for the bike so we will see what they come up with. Cant wait to feel it once its tuned :)