Power Commander V

H

Hoover

Just ordered a Power Commander V out of desperation. Just want the bike to run the way it really should in stock condition. Right now it's very cold blooded not running smooth until REAL warmed up. Like after 30 min of riding on a warm day. It's hard for me to get a smooth take off from a stop because it's so lean. I don't like moving out into traffic at times because the bike may just buck and fart leaving the line. And at cruising throttle it just doesn't seem to run as smooth as it should... a little ratty or choppy. The shop says "nature of the beast, Yamaha tunes them too lean, rev it up to about 3k to get moving in 1st". Unacceptable to me. Has been a source of embarrassment at times. I also hope the PCv helps with sometime hard starting and stiff shifting.

Am I doing the right thing by placing hopes on the PC? Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes after I get it set up and if it ever stops raining in New England.

Something is most definately wrong with your bike. Go to a different dealer.

D

DJK1505

Something is most definately wrong with your bike. Go to a different dealer.

Nature of the beast my ass! The bike should not ride like that at all. I have had several yamaha's and never experienced anything like this. Sounds like you might have an ECM issue. Not too sure without being there to go over things, but it is def not a "nature of the beast" type problem.

As for the PCV you will def notice a difference. The auto tune would benefit you if you were heavily modding your engine, changing components often, or just wanted to mod something else after you have done everything else. I have had my PCV for about 9 months now. Love the change in the bike, i am adding the auto tune this weekend because I am planning an engine rebuild soon and will be changing up a lot inside the engine and the auto tune perfectly tunes the bike for any mod. No need to take it to a tune center ever, and there is not a tune center too close to me.
DJ

G Chase

Pillion
I probably shouldn't have used the term 'farting'... it's more like surging or pulsing just off idle (1200 rpm) so it's hard to get a good clutch /throttle 'take-off' feel. It does get somewhat better after a long warm up. Almost feels like warped clutch plates if you can imagine that but I know they're OK. While doing easy cruising it's seems raspy. Feels like it could run much smoother. Have always used Shell high octane too. I believe it's just plain too lean. The PCv gets here tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I've tried clutch adjustment variations, for which this bike gives little latitude, for the hard shifting but it always feels like plates aren't disengaging far enough so it's always leaving too much pressure on shift forks and gear dogs. Speed shifting is easy going. Using 10/40 Amzoil since @1,400 miles now have @2,700 mi.

jcocker03

I think a lot of people think you just plug in the pc and you just get all this free horsepower. Not true. On the average setup i think you get probably less than 10hp and probably more like 5hp increase. If that. It does seem to run smoother though, slightly broadening/smoothing out the power band maybe. At least thats what it seems like to me and my buddies that have them. Btw our bikes just have slip on exhaust so its not like its heavily modded or anything either.

D

DJK1505

Even a 5 hp increase on a 100hp bike is quite noticeable. The cool thing about the PCV is you can tune/ adjust out some of those deficiencies you are describing. The auto tune does it all for you, but if you have the patience and are quite computer literate you can learn how to adjust these yourself and play with it. Just be sure to save you first tune, in case you mess something up in a table and you can not find it. Its easiest to just start over, took me about a year to learn my EFI Live for my Duramax (which is kind of the same thing as the PCV, its a fully adjustable program for the ECM). Hell i'm still not very good at it but I can play with it.

G Chase

Pillion
I'm not really looking for a horse power increase as this bike has all the power I'll ever need as is. I just want it to run as smooth as I expected a modern machine w/ fuel injection, electronic ignition and high tech engineering to run. I was a Honda/Kaw/Yamaha/Norton/Ducati/Moto Guzzi/Ossa/Puch/CZ/AJS mechanic years ago and rode Seca's, Nighthawk's, KZ's, RD's and all that were better behaved than this. The PCv is here. I'll install / set up and let you all know how it goes.

G Chase

Pillion
Yippee!!!

The verdict is in... The PCv is installed and made a big difference using the Dynojet map for stock exhaust/air filter. I actually like my FZ8 now! Driveability is much improved. Shakey take-offs when cold are greatly reduced if not gone altogether. Cruising is smooth and throttle response is way better. I also believe I feel a power increase. Though this may just be psychological. Too bad I had to spend $300.00 to make this bike run the way it should from the factory.

lothodon

Super Moderator
you have to realize though that yamaha (and all the others) have to meet emission and noise restrictions (i'm sure others as well) WORLD WIDE.

they cannot simply make what they want and sell it anywhere, hence the 'de-tuned' engine as stock.

Not to mention, $300 is pretty cheap if that's all it took for you to be happy with your bike. See the "what have you spent" thread if you don't know what I mean.

Sschwar4

Just ordered a Power Commander V out of desperation. Just want the bike to run the way it really should in stock condition. Right now it's very cold blooded not running smooth until REAL warmed up. Like after 30 min of riding on a warm day. It's hard for me to get a smooth take off from a stop because it's so lean. I don't like moving out into traffic at times because the bike may just buck and fart leaving the line. And at cruising throttle it just doesn't seem to run as smooth as it should... a little ratty or choppy. The shop says "nature of the beast, Yamaha tunes them too lean, rev it up to about 3k to get moving in 1st". Unacceptable to me. Has been a source of embarrassment at times. I also hope the PCv helps with sometime hard starting and stiff shifting.

Am I doing the right thing by placing hopes on the PC? Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes after I get it set up and if it ever stops raining in New England.

If the bikes does not run correctly in stock configuration, what makes you think it will run better with PCV? It may even make it worst or just destroy it. All an unknown.

Get it fixed first.

FZER

Avid Rider
Very few opts on maps on the dynojet page. I guess if I get one I'll have to get one of u guys to send me your map. That being said which map on the dynojet page would u guys have me to download with the full akro exhaust?

FZER

Avid Rider
Contacted him today. Yeah he's got a great set up. Airbox mod doesn't look to hard either.

Fazer401

For the everyday rider, commuter or hooligan out tearin up the streets, is the PCV worth it? And Autotune? Im lookin at about a 4 hour ride one way to my nearest dyno, and theres probably not a track that close. For me to throw the PCV, Autotune, K&N and a two bros slip on, is it worth the cost vs gain? Maybe Ill just sell it and go for a zx10r, motogp from the crate....:eek:

The funniest part is the Kawi being motogp out of the crate :) Theres not a stock bike out there that wouldn't take another ten grand to get through the gate and if there's a bike thats even close it damn sher ain't in team green! If you work at Kawasaki, a) sorry and b) get rid of the fins PLEASE it's not '92 anymore. Fz8...motogp....I'm missing the link. Are the mods worth it? Of course, worth every cent, that's why we do them. Autotune? Seems like wearing condoms, safe and reliable but less fun. Why not play around on a laptop connected to your bike? What's better than that? If like me you grew up watching Michael talking to his TA that's the best part... "Would you like me to lean out your ratio Michael?" I'm buying the first voice box mod for an fz8, is it worth it?

FZh8in

Ixil Hyperlow slip on, K&N air filter, air box mod, smog block off and to top it of PC5! Liked the bike when I got it... LOVE it now. The PC5 is absolutely worth it. Being able to play around and tune it to your liking is awesome! I have a perfect air/fuel ratio thanks to the PC5. Night and day difference vs stock set up

Harrywz

Ixil Hyperlow slip on, K&N air filter, air box mod, smog block off and to top it of PC5! Liked the bike when I got it... LOVE it now. The PC5 is absolutely worth it. Being able to play around and tune it to your liking is awesome! I have a perfect air/fuel ratio thanks to the PC5. Night and day difference vs stock set up

Did you have to have the bike dyno'd to set the PC5?