Power Commander V

More power, better fuel consumption..........now there would be a thing :cool:

its not that far of a stretch with my truck i added a cold air intake throttle body spacer and a programer and i gained hp and got better fuel consumption!! why wouldnt the same go for a bike??

sandroon

It sounds like someone wants me to believe that the moon is a cheese!!! .. test it please for us before! thanks a lot

hypo

its not cheese?

Dannyboy

Installed PCV about 6 months back...chaopped the airbox, K&N filter, and Akra slipon.......

overall the power curve is much much smoother, more resposive and torquey, gear changes seem smoother, fuel consumption is slightly better but nothing really to write home about.....I tried the standard PCV website map and it was ok...then I 'borrowed' another forum members map and it was much better...although the fuel economy dropped a fair bit....I guess it depends on the map youve got....Im wanting to get it dyno'd by the Power Commander guys but its not cheap here in Australia.

Overall, is it worth it? Yeah I think it is.

Would I get an Autotune? Probably not based on what Ive read from those who did get it and those who just fronted up the cash for the pro's at the shop to dyno it. Seems a bit silly. Just buy a map switch and pay for the guy to build 2 maps for you...1 racing and 1 normal riding...

stay safe all!

cheers

lyric911

Would I get an Autotune? Probably not based on what Ive read from those who did get it and those who just fronted up the cash for the pro's at the shop to dyno it. Seems a bit silly. Just buy a map switch and pay for the guy to build 2 maps for you...1 racing and 1 normal riding...

Counter-point: A dyno tune tunes you for the conditions that day on that dyno. For somebody that has no intention of track riding, an auto tune doesn't cost that much more than one dyno tuning session and constantly adjusts to weather conditions, atmospheric conditions, etc.

It sounds like someone wants me to believe that the moon is a cheese!!! .. test it please for us before! thanks a lot

why is it that hard to believe that i can pull more hp out of my truck and gain better fuel miliage?

i have a 2008 gmc sierra 5.3L V8 i put on avarage 1000+km a week during the summer months traveling for work i spend enough time in the truck to notice small gains in fuel! all those mods increase hp and i did notice a gain of about 15-25$ a tank depending on how hard i am driving it

TeleRob

why is it that hard to believe that i can pull more hp out of my truck and gain better fuel miliage?

I believe you! Its because the changes made are making the engine more efficient at processing the same amount of fuel. It's all over the web, even in K&N FAQ.

Yamacat1000

For the everyday rider, commuter or hooligan out tearin up the streets, is the PCV worth it? And Autotune? Im lookin at about a 4 hour ride one way to my nearest dyno, and theres probably not a track that close. For me to throw the PCV, Autotune, K&N and a two bros slip on, is it worth the cost vs gain? Maybe Ill just sell it and go for a zx10r, motogp from the crate....:eek:

C

Camo

Maybe you should...
If you run a full system or you do change the air/fuel mix you will need to remap. So the short answer to your question that was more of a dig at the guys running that setup is yes. Yes if you do want your bike to run properly.

lyric911

For the everyday rider, commuter or hooligan out tearin up the streets, is the PCV worth it? And Autotune? Im lookin at about a 4 hour ride one way to my nearest dyno, and theres probably not a track that close. For me to throw the PCV, Autotune, K&N and a two bros slip on, is it worth the cost vs gain? Maybe Ill just sell it and go for a zx10r, motogp from the crate....:eek:

What I really like about the auto tune is that it accounts for current conditions. A one time dyno tune does not.

TeleRob

I doubt many people on this board have illusions of making race worthy machines, but the bottom line is a basic fz8 is just that, basic. To some, a new slip on exhaust is like buying a new car stereo or something. I like to tinker with stuff, customize it, learn new things, and bond with the bike, make it my own, sweat equity. To each their own. It's not all about gas savings or performance. I have a PCV on the way. Have never had one, but curious to tweak maps and see what the bike feels like. That's entertainment too :)

G Chase

Pillion
PCv on stock 2011 FZ8

Just ordered a Power Commander V out of desperation. Just want the bike to run the way it really should in stock condition. Right now it's very cold blooded not running smooth until REAL warmed up. Like after 30 min of riding on a warm day. It's hard for me to get a smooth take off from a stop because it's so lean. I don't like moving out into traffic at times because the bike may just buck and fart leaving the line. And at cruising throttle it just doesn't seem to run as smooth as it should... a little ratty or choppy. The shop says "nature of the beast, Yamaha tunes them too lean, rev it up to about 3k to get moving in 1st". Unacceptable to me. Has been a source of embarrassment at times. I also hope the PCv helps with sometime hard starting and stiff shifting.

Am I doing the right thing by placing hopes on the PC? Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes after I get it set up and if it ever stops raining in New England.

crspangenberg

The shop says "nature of the beast, Yamaha tunes them too lean, rev it up to about 3k to get moving in 1st". Unacceptable to me. Has been a source of embarrassment at times. I also hope the PCv helps with sometime hard starting and stiff shifting.

Am I doing the right thing by placing hopes on the PC? Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes after I get it set up and if it ever stops raining in New England.

Something doesnt sound right. Even before I got my PC i never had the issue of it not wanting to take off in first, I can hold my brake and the bike still wants to roll even with no gas and it will easily do 8 mph with myself and my girlfriend on the back, sounds like something more is going wrong with your bike. Just my :2cents:

lothodon

Super Moderator
it is the nature of the beast as set up stock.

check your clutch adjustment first. hard starting won't be changed by a pcv nor will stiff shifting. clutch adjustment can change both of those, as can oil as it's a wet clutch.

as for the fart you speak of the pcv should improve it but easiest is to get the rpm's higher. airbox mod might help a little but it's suspect to being subject to rider "feel".