New respect for this 2012 FZ8!

Bajaedition

What's up with people saying it's normal to drop a bike???
there are only 2 types of riders

those who already have dropped a bike
and those who will drop a bike (which is everyone)

face it, you only have 2 wheels, sooner or later they go over
been riding over 35 years, I know that is the truth

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I've downed my fz8 and the bike I had before that.

I was trying to ride through my unpaved ejido after it rained, sticky mud, next thing you know my bike was two tone. Not a scratch on her pretty cool eh?

I'm late to this thread....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I crawled my way up to this bike. I'm short legged (5'7"). I went from a 2004 500cc twin Ninja to a 650 Ninja, to the ZX6R and hence my new forum name. Over confidence and lack of respect for the machine is what'll hurt ya. My 500 got dumped more than not....I also weighed 120lbs at the time. My 650 Ninja I never dropped or went down, but spent more time and money trying to turn it into a full fledge rocket. My wife started riding and she handled my 500 very well, so I decided it was time for me to get a 4 cyl 600. That 600 I went down once on and it was a mix of gravel and garbage stuck in my rear tire, but it wouldn't have happened if I wasn't pushing my limits. Damage was minor, but the more I rode it, the more I realized that I didn't want to be on it for more than 30 minutes as it was uncomfortable (also modified it with raised rearsets when I first got it and pushed it to be closer to a true race bike).... After about 2 years of just riding it once a month if I was lucky, I decided to go bike shopping....I promised myself a couple of things....be open minded (doesn't have to be Kawasaki)....and with Zacho Sports in Chippewa, they let me test ride a few bikes....(unfortunately didn't buy from them as a year older, but still brand new bike was $1500 cheaper)...but I never even considered this bike until they suggested testing it (looked at Gladius, 650 Ninja and FZ6R). I rode it and felt very good on it and ended up buying a 2012. I bought it, because it was the closest compromise to everything I wanted...ergonomics weren't the most comfortable, engine wasn't most powerful, but the price was right and to me the closest to the middle of a compromise of the two. I just literally broke it in and will day that I noticed a few things on it....I got a habit of killing on taking off from stop going up hill....I never ever killed my 650 Ninja nor my ZX6R and owned both bikes for 6 years (though my wife mostly drove the 650 for that time frame). I just am adapting into giving it a little more throttle uphill then I am used to.

Last edited:

Primo87

If your having alot of trouble with the friction piont on the clutch. One good way to learn that the MSF courses will teach you when you get there. but nothing wrong with a little more practice.

If you get on the bike and start it up, and throw it in first, and just slowly let out the clutch till you feel the clutch start grabbing, then pull it back in and roll it back to your starting point. keep doing this untill you can get a feel of the friction point. Your not giving it any gas, just letting out the clutch very easy to get a feel of the friction point.

This is just a starting point. its not going to teach you how to ride, but atleast you won't have the same problem,

southnjes

Went down in rain, snow, ice and sun. Like death and taxes, it's going to happen, just depends on how bad. I just bought my FZ8 a couple months ago. Been off one for ten years and that was due to a severe accident (hit and run) when I was a motorcycle courier around so cal.

Just try to be safe out there:)

DLSGAP

I REALLY wish that a bike license was a requirement for buying a bike... Better yet, a graded license like most European countries do...

Glad you're okay, and you're able to learn from the experience

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

DLSGAP

No graded license for me. I love the U.S. of A. I'd like to supervise my own stupidity.

Lol... Some states have a version of them... If you start early. I got my bike license in Tennessee at 14.... They allow up to a 250 at 14, a 500 at 15, and the it's whatever after that...I kinda wish there were limitations just based on riding experience... But at bare minimum a license should be required for a bike purchase

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

HenryT

I learned to ride first racing BMX and then MX. Will say its the best way to do it IMO. Racing MX will teach you all about every facet of controlling a bike to the extreme and yes falling off-road usually a bit easier than on.

Moving from a 125cc motocrosser to a 750cc street bike like I did was not a hard transition at all, piece of cake. I could ride the street bike pretty well real quickly. There are things that you cant learn in the classroom and the dirt is for sure usually more forgiving.

Now my off-road days are behind me for the most part, but all the training will not be forgotten. Gee it really blows me away how people get into motorcycling later in life, without prior experience, but im glad they are going after their dreams. Go after what you want, you know there are risks. the FZ8 seems like a decent bike to learn on if you have to. Its not radical or high strung, the seating position is easy going. So concentrate, be in control of the bike and your surroundings. You control the bike, sit on it that way too.

Bajaedition

I learned to ride first racing BMX and then MX. Will say its the best way to do it IMO. Racing MX will teach you all about every facet of controlling a bike to the extreme and yes falling off-road usually a bit easier than on.

Moving from a 125cc motocrosser to a 750cc street bike like I did was not a hard transition at all, piece of cake. I could ride the street bike pretty well real quickly. There are things that you cant learn in the classroom and the dirt is for sure usually more forgiving.

Now my off-road days are behind me for the most part, but all the training will not be forgotten. Gee it really blows me away how people get into motorcycling later in life, without prior experience, but im glad they are going after their dreams. Go after what you want, you know there are risks. the FZ8 seems like a decent bike to learn on if you have to. Its not radical or high strung, the seating position is easy going. So concentrate, be in control of the bike and your surroundings. You control the bike, sit on it that way too.
henry I have to agree MX is a great learning place, but would like to point out that when you learn MX you learn a lot of skills road riders never learn. That is slow speed skills. and MSF courses are strong on those also.
what happens slow speed is a lot opposite od high speed, but these are much needed skills and so is the transitions.
You know you do not go down at 70 mph much, it is normally during emergency braking after you are back into the slow speed area and all control factors have reversed from high speeds that you go down. Don't believe me, just go watch a bunch of wrecks on Youtube. guys are saving it till it gets to a point.
Now think of that. suddenly the bike was at 5MPH and it high sided,

ssky0078

Wow, this thread has entertained my morning.

Everybody is different in what they want to get out of riding. Some people want practical economic transportation (don't buy hypersport tires, hehehe). Some people want a thrill (don't get carried away).

1. Take an MSF BRC before buying a bike
2. Buy Helmet, Jacket (with armor), Gloves (with armor) prior to riding. Always wear jeans and a solid leather shoe, better boots
3. Buy a bike and buy what you want. Take others opinions into consideration but get what will keep you coming back for more and not scare the hell out of you that you quit.

I say this because I started on an Fz6 crasehd that, total loss, got an Fz1, crashed that, fixed it up myself, took an ARC and then have loved it ever since.
If I had started on a 250 like many people have suggested I would have been bored, financially tied to something that would lose my interest. So, instead of my car only getting 150 miles on it during the first 5 months I had a bike before I sold my car, the 150 miles would have been on the 250 and I would have sold that.

As for learning to ride, you have the go side and the slow side. The go side is your clutch and shifter, the slow side is front and rear brake (and throttle for those smart enough to use it to control slowing as well). Learning how to engage the clutch and get the bike moving once grasped is an awesome feeling. I even practice the friction zone while sitting at stop lights while I rock the bike back and forth. I started it out of boredom and have noticed that I have better take offs now.

HenryT

Wow, this thread has entertained my morning.

Everybody is different in what they want to get out of riding. Some people want practical economic transportation (don't buy hypersport tires, hehehe). Some people want a thrill (don't get carried away).

1. Take an MSF BRC before buying a bike
2. Buy Helmet, Jacket (with armor), Gloves (with armor) prior to riding. Always wear jeans and a solid leather shoe, better boots
3. Buy a bike and buy what you want. Take others opinions into consideration but get what will keep you coming back for more and not scare the hell out of you that you quit.

I say this because I started on an Fz6 crasehd that, total loss, got an Fz1, crashed that, fixed it up myself, took an ARC and then have loved it ever since.
If I had started on a 250 like many people have suggested I would have been bored, financially tied to something that would lose my interest. So, instead of my car only getting 150 miles on it during the first 5 months I had a bike before I sold my car, the 150 miles would have been on the 250 and I would have sold that.

As for learning to ride, you have the go side and the slow side. The go side is your clutch and shifter, the slow side is front and rear brake (and throttle for those smart enough to use it to control slowing as well). Learning how to engage the clutch and get the bike moving once grasped is an awesome feeling. I even practice the friction zone while sitting at stop lights while I rock the bike back and forth. I started it out of boredom and have noticed that I have better take offs now.

Worst thing in the world you can for your clutch. Unless the stop will be very short I will always pull the bike out of gear and release the clutch.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Worst thing in the world you can for your clutch. Unless the stop will be very short I will always pull the bike out of gear and release the clutch.

Why? It's a wet clutch, I do the same thing he does, and I now I can make complete stops at stop signs without putting my feet down, just like a trials rider :D

Practice makes better

Darksabre

Why? Wet clutch is a bit different than a car clutch, right? Also, what if you need to take off in a hurry to avoid an accident? Hope you can put it back into gear quick enough.

9 Lives

Its still wears like a dry clutch, the more you have it in the friction zone the more it will wear.

b-eock

Yes, but its not like a cars clutch that will wear out quickly if you do that. Its horrible for a car. A motorcycle, it'll take it. Will it wear? Yeah. But anything causes wear...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

9 Lives

Yes, but its not like a cars clutch that will wear out quickly if you do that. Its horrible for a car. A motorcycle, it'll take it. Will it wear? Yeah. But anything causes wear...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

Like I said the more time in the friction zone the more it will wear, can it take it? Yes, but it will not last as long as a clutch that spends less time in the friction zone. Yes, using the clutch causes wear, but its how we use it that will determine how much.